Author Topic: Hopper cooled CS  (Read 8517 times)

contaucreek

• View Profile
Re: Hopper cooled CS
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 06:05:23 PM »
Combustor, did you configure your hopper off the cylinder piping hole or off the water jacket cover ? Lots of hit and miss engines run to boil in their hoppers, I wonder if a CS would be harmed by boiling temps ? Do you run your 8 at 850 rpm ? Would love a picture sometime if it's not a problem. An original hopper kit may just be the Holy Grail of CS collecting. P.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 07:37:05 AM »
That was in the 5/1 section of the listing, I didn't check on the twins, you'd probably have something different or maybe go to tank cooling for the larger engines.

There is no mention of the hopper in the 10/2 section.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 07:40:05 AM by listerdiesel »

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 01:51:34 PM »
Hi again Contaucreek and members,
                                                My hopper attaches to the pipe flanges on head and block using short standoff pipes just several inches long. I have also attached a support plate to the bolts on the water jacket cover, so it has support at three points. Thermosyphon flow works well, but in our warm climate there's no way it would sustain full load for long. Don't like to see a diesel blowing steam, OK for old low compression kero engines perhaps, with a hopper on top of the head and nowhere for steam pockets to form. Suspect a hopper is only practical while one is in attendance to regulate load and top up coolant. Sorry I have not yet mastered the photo posting trick. My pulley ratio for a 50 hz alternator means my 8/1 runs about 800 rpm.
                                                                                                            Regards,  Combustor.

Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
Hi, Back again,
                   Think I have cracked the system for posting photo's on the Lister Gallery. Should be 2 pics of my homebrew hopper on the CS 8/1  for those interested.
        Album is titled  Murray Shiner,  Regards,  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2009, 12:08:39 AM »
Thanks for the pics, nice looking setup. I too have ventured into Lister Engine Galleries....Paul Clement.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire