Author Topic: The rarely heard of, yet incredible SVO source  (Read 34343 times)

ixtow

• View Profile
Re: The rarely heard of, yet incredible SVO source
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2006, 03:36:37 AM »
From what I've read, the leaves fall off easier than the seeds when it's in season.  It's a big part of why they aren't used much.  I was hoping for something really slanted to take advantage of the round rolling of the seed, and allow the flat leaves to just sit on it.  Er, it's an idea anyway.....  I'll be letting you know how it goes in about 6 months.

oldnslow

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2006, 06:21:06 PM »
People I've talked to who have these trees around their property tell me they are very prolific. If they cut a branch and let it lay it will sprout. Perhaps its your elevation ie lack of water. Use this to your advantage as a mitigation against spread! Get some seeds or cuttings from your trees any way you can. Treat them well. Once you create an environment like what is described in the USDA document they will grow fast and vigorous.  May I suggest:

Try to build a little greenhouse to a standard size to keep cost down.  Pick the site thoughtfully for ventilation, privacy and drainage because you don't want to swelter in heat, be walking in mud all the time or have passers-by see it. I would grow in troughs (Plastic window box or dranpipes?) set side to side on wire benches.  Put a drain hole 3" up to create a reservoir in the bottom. Use a constant feed of water + soluble fertilizer like "Peters" at about 100ppm 3X/week. Water until the drains flow. (variations of this are commonly used in semi-hydroponic vegetables or for growing wetland restoration plants). Anyone asks just tell them your wife loves orchids. None are for sale.
There must also be some links out there.

If you get these things growing plan "A" would be to force seed production in the greenhouse using gibberellic acid. Then you could scale up and harvest in the houses just like greenhouse vegetables. The secret is to find which GIB, what rate and when to apply. It can be done though because flowers are forced all the time. Since flowers are the reproductive parts I would duplicate some of those regimes first.

If it doesn't work  plan "B" is to use the seedlings from the greenhouse as resets in the field operation. Control the height using Paclobutrazol. They will stay short and still produce! Since technically they are an "ornamental not used for consumption" you can legally apply this to your advantage.  Let me know when you are ready and I will be glad to help you find sources for the chemicals. (Disclaimer: I am a salesman for wholesale chemicals in commercial agriculture and horticulture.) You don't need me though, just look up that chemical names I gave you. Just passing on the information to my fellow Listeroids.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: I used the last of my spendable cash to to buy one last "pre ban" PS 10/1 and head from Joel Koch that is just now screaming for my attention. Dying to open the crates and I hear them now calling... CALLING and telling me to shut-up and get the sawzall! OK, I'm back. May I indulge in a paragraph of drama from a listeroid freak?

Now all Listeroid brothers think back to when you opened your first crate. Mine is sitting in front of me; the last barrier to my prize. It looks like something from an Indiana Jones movie. I hold the sawzall pointing skyward and sqeeze off several brief whines to make sure that sucker's  plugged in good. Then I wail a loud whoooohhooo!  My wife seriously considers dialing 911 and clutches the boys some distance behind me, one in each arm. The boys stand silent and wide eyed, recording every second in their young minds. I open my pocket knife and boldly slash open the shrinkwrap! ( I heard a distant female voice behind me say "careful with that, honey, dont get cut..") Carefully closing the kife and putting it away, the odor of moldy wood and rusty nails quickly fills the surrounding air. For a second I am standing at the docks in India....The excitement is just too much. (again I hear a distant female voice behind me saying "don't forget your gloves, honey") I start shouting: Gloves? I don't need no stinkin gloves! Stay back! Where are the boys!? Stay back! I cut through the top nails on the brittle old wooden crate. There are loud squeals and shreaks. At last the top nails are severed, my heart pounds and it feels great! ... Lord this is truly an addiction!  Pulling the top off makes it creak and groan like an old casket...cool. The boys are dying to see....Stay back! I throw the top to the side and dust puffs into the air when it lands in the grass. Peering inside I expect to see my listeroid. But oh man its just a stinkin' bag! I am fustrated (the distant female voice is louder now and says "you almost hit us with the top of that crate, will-you-calm-down?") Ignoring her I jab my fingers through the plastic and rip open the bag with my bare hands. Behold! Its shiney green and smells like old oil. To me, it is gold. I am instantly 7yrs old raking hay on the old popper, at an engine show and back on the farm shop all at once in the same second. Holy hannah, I just reclaimed a feeling of my youth! I pat the top of the valve cover...mmmmmmmm its finally here.... more to follow in another thread.....
Mistakes are the cost of tuition.

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2006, 06:42:11 PM »
Get out the butterfly net we got another one to catch.  Tom T   :)

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2006, 06:47:47 PM »
sounds like it is too late///another one hooked on the smell of oill and diesel//sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

ixtow

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2006, 09:51:42 PM »
People I've talked to who have these trees around their property tell me they are very prolific. If they cut a branch and let it lay it will sprout. Perhaps its your elevation ie lack of water. Use this to your advantage as a mitigation against spread! Get some seeds or cuttings from your trees any way you can. Treat them well. Once you create an environment like what is described in the USDA document they will grow fast and vigorous.  May I suggest:

Try to build a little greenhouse to a standard size to keep cost down.  Pick the site thoughtfully for ventilation, privacy and drainage because you don't want to swelter in heat, be walking in mud all the time or have passers-by see it. I would grow in troughs (Plastic window box or dranpipes?) set side to side on wire benches.  Put a drain hole 3" up to create a reservoir in the bottom. Use a constant feed of water + soluble fertilizer like "Peters" at about 100ppm 3X/week. Water until the drains flow. (variations of this are commonly used in semi-hydroponic vegetables or for growing wetland restoration plants). Anyone asks just tell them your wife loves orchids. None are for sale.

There must also be some links out there.

If you get these things growing plan "A" would be to force seed production in the greenhouse using gibberellic acid. Then you could scale up and harvest in the houses just like greenhouse vegetables. The secret is to find which GIB, what rate and when to apply. It can be done though because flowers are forced all the time. Since flowers are the reproductive parts I would duplicate some of those regimes first.

If it doesn't work  plan "B" is to use the seedlings from the greenhouse as resets in the field operation. Control the height using Paclobutrazol. They will stay short and still produce! Since technically they are an "ornamental not used for consumption" you can legally apply this to your advantage.  Let me know when you are ready and I will be glad to help you find sources for the chemicals. (Disclaimer: I am a salesman for wholesale chemicals in commercial agriculture and horticulture.) You don't need me though, just look up that chemical names I gave you. Just passing on the information to my fellow Listeroids.

Thanks for the info.  I'm not much of a chemist when it comes to the organic, so this helps a lot.

I have a hydroponics store near my house. I'll give you one gues what the majority of their customers grow...  Having already made the Gestapo's 'List of people we like to harass,' being seen entering that establishment would probably be a Bad IdeaTM.

For now, tying to scrape enopgh money together to buy a Lister is my goal.  I've seen "plant trough" things with their own plastic dome.  Kind of like stand-alone greenhouses.  I might be able to try that out.  I kill grass by watering it, so I hope these things a as resilient as is said.  I can kill any plant by explicitly trying not to...

oldnslow

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2006, 05:19:30 PM »
ixtow, I appreciate trying to do something with nothing. By having virtually zero disposable income myself I feel your pain. It took a year to get the Listeroid cash. But it is important to live debt free. Its emotion and lack of self control that gets in my way, as you can see in my earlier dramatization a few posts up.  May I make a few suggestions for scrounging?:

You can grow very well in 5 gallon pails with lava rock 3" in the bottom and a moderately draining top soil thereafter up to about 4" from the top. Drill 3 drain holes 120 deg apart about 4" up from the bottom. Do not drill a bottom center hole, unless you are growing shrubbery, which we are not doing here. Each pail now becomes a semi-hydroponic cell.  You can get pails free from fast-food places, grocery stores or on the side of the road. Go around and ask, you will be suprised. (I have done this, I know it works) Get "food" pails, not "paint" pails if possible.

One very important thing. I have been thinking about this alot. You are very lucky to have a nearby tree. If you propagate cuttings, they will have the same attributes as the parent. What I mean is, they will behave like they are the same AGE as the parent. This means that as soon as they have enough biomass within them they will produce seeds in season. You will be way ahead.

Go on the web and search for "propagation of woody ornamentals from cuttings"

Keep the date on your notes too (daylength and temp matter alot). Nothing new here just that you can scrounge this stuff very cheaply.

Sources: Pails...Free from McDonalds (pickle pails) etc.
Lava Rock: Cheap (but not totally free) from wholesale landscape suppliers (where you load with a shovel yourself) little more in bags. you don't need that much
Soil: Try using your existing top soil. If not buy peat based soil and blend it with yours, etc.
Irrigation: This can be tough but shop around garage sales or thrift stores for irrigation clocks, drip heads and watering wands (intermatic timers work good, simple repairable) battery powered drip kits from Toro are pretty cheap at Ace hardware. (but not free)
Greenhouse: Too expensive. You can get by without one if you use the pails.

Nothing is perfect. stay small  but take your time and you should at least be able to get a row of 5 pails growing within 3 months. Good luck.
Mistakes are the cost of tuition.

ixtow

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2006, 07:41:28 PM »
ixtow, I appreciate trying to do something with nothing. By having virtually zero disposable income myself I feel your pain. It took a year to get the Listeroid cash. But it is important to live debt free. Its emotion and lack of self control that gets in my way, as you can see in my earlier dramatization a few posts up.  May I make a few suggestions for scrounging?:

You can grow very well in 5 gallon pails with lava rock 3" in the bottom and a moderately draining top soil thereafter up to about 4" from the top. Drill 3 drain holes 120 deg apart about 4" up from the bottom. Do not drill a bottom center hole, unless you are growing shrubbery, which we are not doing here. Each pail now becomes a semi-hydroponic cell.  You can get pails free from fast-food places, grocery stores or on the side of the road. Go around and ask, you will be suprised. (I have done this, I know it works) Get "food" pails, not "paint" pails if possible.

One very important thing. I have been thinking about this alot. You are very lucky to have a nearby tree. If you propagate cuttings, they will have the same attributes as the parent. What I mean is, they will behave like they are the same AGE as the parent. This means that as soon as they have enough biomass within them they will produce seeds in season. You will be way ahead.

Go on the web and search for "propagation of woody ornamentals from cuttings"

Keep the date on your notes too (daylength and temp matter alot). Nothing new here just that you can scrounge this stuff very cheaply.

Sources: Pails...Free from McDonalds (pickle pails) etc.
Lava Rock: Cheap (but not totally free) from wholesale landscape suppliers (where you load with a shovel yourself) little more in bags. you don't need that much
Soil: Try using your existing top soil. If not buy peat based soil and blend it with yours, etc.
Irrigation: This can be tough but shop around garage sales or thrift stores for irrigation clocks, drip heads and watering wands (intermatic timers work good, simple repairable) battery powered drip kits from Toro are pretty cheap at Ace hardware. (but not free)
Greenhouse: Too expensive. You can get by without one if you use the pails.

Nothing is perfect. stay small  but take your time and you should at least be able to get a row of 5 pails growing within 3 months. Good luck.

Sadly, it would be illegal to grow Chinese Tallow, so I'll just have to propagate my Orange Trees instead...  Golly, I wouldn't want to break any laws.

That's excellent help Old'.  All these 5gal drywall compound buckets, from remodeling, are about to get used.  As soon as the brass casings I keep picking up at the range are sorted and/or melted and thusly no longer occupying the 20 or so buckets..................  ;-)   It's a habit I just can't break.

Doug

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2006, 07:35:57 PM »
Maybe its an urban legend, but I've heard Hemp can also produce a lot of oil.
Its a little hard to grow of feild of it though......

Doug

ixtow

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2006, 08:23:29 PM »
Maybe its an urban legend, but I've heard Hemp can also produce a lot of oil.
Its a little hard to grow of feild of it though......

Doug

Er, wouldn't know about that.  But it makes great rope...