Author Topic: Burnt toast, man dies of electrocution on train  (Read 3538 times)

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Burnt toast, man dies of electrocution on train
« on: July 08, 2009, 11:27:59 AM »
Not for the weak of heart.

Poor bastard only went up on the roof of the train for a smoke.  After he gets a light you can see him smoking.   :-\

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/2905377/oh_my_god_man_die_with_electic_shock_40_000_v/
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
Re: Burnt toast, man dies of electrocution on train
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 11:55:29 AM »
Thats nasty !!   Looked alot quicker than the electric chair !!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 04:02:53 PM »
Thanks Rob:

I don't like seeing that stuff. But it drives home a point
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Stan

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 10:57:24 PM »
I was walking along in the pitch black on the very lowest level of the Sullivan Mine a few years ago on a personal tour led by a friend of mine.  The helmet light was clipped to my belt and he was walking along behind me.  I started to raise my hand to adjust my hard hat and he yelled at me to stop.  We were sloshing along in about 4 inches of water on a mine rail bed.  I looked up and shone my light on a large bare cable no more than 6 inches above my head,  that my buddy informed me had 400 volts of DC current in it.  In case you were wondering it had a huge amount of amperage, enough to power a mine train with 30 ore cars hauling mega tonnage.

It was quite a sobering experience.  I don't want my brain burning like that poor sods.
Stan

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 03:52:39 AM »
Thats typical of Electric trolleys in small 8 foot track drifts. And the mining act covers that sort of installation not the electrical code. The reasoning is its not practical to put that trolley line any higher. That and people are trained to work around them.

WE work under the 3 foot restriction now, anythi ng 600 or above must be 3 feet from a miner or in my case 1 foot from an electrician.

Another consideration is the amount of available fault current the rectifier station can provide AND the GF protection on the line ( will trip if there is short to ground ). On the 1000 volt Kiruna trolley system that trip point is  around 10 mA ( generaly non leathal shock )and thats quite a feet to keep a system that sensative from tripping in normal opperation ( just dust and dirtt can set it off ). Most of other lower voltage systems use .5 to 4 amp trip setting ( possibly leathal but not from burns. Its generaly the burns that kill ).

You can be killed by 4 amps no doubt but I am living proof that more often a fuck up ( and even I fuck up with all the training and safety beat into me and touch something live. After all it is broken or malfunctioning when I am called in the first place) results in a lot of bad words some pain and some burms. I have had 3 or 4 " fuck ups " in my life only 1 serrious  that burned me and 1 near miss with some very leathal 13800 v switch gear. Mostly this happened because I had not arc flash protection and was not provided with rubber gloves and because I did hot work ( testing on live equip or actualy working on live equip )....

Hot work is now against the law for the most part because it is dangerous and todays power system pack not just enough power to cook you but enough available energy to super heat the air and turn an electrical box into a bomb. And those bombs have killed people. Testing and working around but not on live equipment is restricted. Hot work can only be done by permit that explains why it can't be powered down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH1_gjPTMIg&feature=related
Doesn't look violent does it but its hotter than the sun at the center of that fire ball and metal has turned into a gas

I have taken that ride on the infinit bus
I have the scars to prove it.

What is safe or dangerous is realy all in the eye of the beholder at the end of the day. That poor fellow in the video probably had no idea that wire was there and never mercifly knew what hit him.

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken