Author Topic: Cars again.  (Read 21512 times)

Bluecometk

• View Profile
Re: Cars again.
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 01:59:01 AM »
Some of the latest Mercedes have 7 speed AUTOS in them.

I have a 95 Subaru auto that gets an average 27.9-mpg at an average speed of 51 mph on an average 127 mile daily drive.

On the other hand, the Subaru STi has had a 6-speed manual in it since 2004. Sti’s have stock hp numbers of 305 hp and get a highway average 27mpg.

The ESX STi's I work on get slightly less mileage. The first is a street legal AWD STi with a 2.5 liter turbo charged engine that churns out 1,042 hp and runs the Quarter mile in 8.91 seconds at 154+ mph on street tires with a full interior, exhaust, power windows and a curb weight of 3,262 lbs. This vehicle is fully street legal except for catalytic converters, its fuel mileage is about 1.84 gallons of VP import gasoline (125 octane fuel) per Quarter mile. It is well known as the worlds fastest Street tired STi with 18 national NHRA championships and 2 NHRA  world championships in 2 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHSyRuQxulw

The other is a Molly tube all carbon fiber bodied 2,060 lb modified STi with a 2.57 turbo charged 4 cyl on Methanol. It produces 1,400 hp on 50psi of boost. It runs 7.60 second quarter mile passes at 176 mph. Its fuel consumption is about 2.6 gallons per quarter mile pass.  This vehicle is the fastest AWD Subaru in the world. 

Some Stats. Pro car

The engine spins at 9,300 rpm and uses 3 injectors per cylinder to supply fuel .One of the three injectors is used to spray a cooling charge into the intake to cool the intake valves. If the engine is shut down at the finish line the valves will bend from being white hot. The turbo's inlet is 101 mm in diameter. Nitrous oxide is used to spool the turbo at the line. The turbo spools to 50psi, which is full boost in just under .68 seconds. The power produced is transmitted through a slightly modified Subaru 4 speed automatic trans (AWD 4-EAT). The pro car uses 30 lbs of ice per quarter mile pass in its intercooler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncYdlNsZyCA

Sorry to bore you with this stuff.

Bluecometk
Bluecometk

Yanmar 10 hp LA-100 DIY genset
2 MTU 2000 V12's
12 KW 4cyl Kolor Genset
35 KW  4cyl  Cumins Genset
3 cyl  Volvo  bow thruster
Onan DJB 6.0 genset
Waiting for a proven Redstone

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 09:24:51 AM »
SkyNet?????????????? I missed somethin agin didn't I???

Ever seen the 'Terminator' movies ?

On tranny's again , drove a hire van a few months ago with a 6 speed , drove half the journey thinking 5th was top before I realised  !!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

AdeV73

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 09:44:12 AM »

SkyNet?????????????? I missed somethin agin didn't I???

Don't worry, SkyNet won't miss you...

Dail R H

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2009, 12:32:31 AM »
   Oh thatsky net

Stan

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2009, 03:54:43 AM »
Anybody watch a show on the BBC called "Top Gear"?  I saw a clip on the internet called "18 Wheeler Challenge".  If you can watch this without rolling on the floor with tears in your eyes, cut back on the sedatives.
Stan

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2009, 04:48:32 AM »
Anybody watch a show on the BBC called "Top Gear"?  I saw a clip on the internet called "18 Wheeler Challenge".  If you can watch this without rolling on the floor with tears in your eyes, cut back on the sedatives.
Stan

Got a link?

I quite like this one myself:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhk3VRtU5Dk
This one is just hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwKNL_YAZmk
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2009, 09:01:27 AM »
Glad you guy's appreciate Top Gear !!!  It's the only decent petrol head show we have over here !! 
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2009, 09:16:12 AM »
Please note that your 1st clip is '5th Gear' , we don't like 5th gear , it's rubbish !!
Check out this Top Gear , they challenge themselves to go to the USA and buy cars for no more than $1000 and drive across the country !!  This is part 1 , I think there are 4 parts so you will have to find the other 3.  Please excuse the ad before the vid starts. Turn your sense of humour full on to prevent offence that may possibly be caused by Brit perceptions of Yanks !!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZJ7thnYqLk
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 05:53:18 AM »
Bah, 5th Gear is still good.

Oh, and I'm Canadian, eh!
GTC 8-1

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2009, 08:14:11 AM »
No offence intended , because it was a Top Gear in America my comments were for our US buds !!  5th Gear is pants though !!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2009, 01:31:25 AM »
Ah, I see. I like both shows.  :D
GTC 8-1

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2009, 12:50:30 PM »
No offence intended , because it was a Top Gear in America my comments were for our US buds !!  5th Gear is pants though !!

What does 5th gear is "pants though" mean in American English?

AdeV73

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2009, 01:41:32 PM »

What does 5th gear is "pants though" mean in American English?

It means that 5th Gear (the TV show) is rubbish, especially when compared to Top Gear, which is excellent.

The programmes (<- programs in US English) cater to different audiences: 5th Gear for people who generally want sensible road tests of sensible cars (i.e. small, utlitarian hatchbacks), wheras Top Gear concentrates more on the Inner Child, catering to those who, deep down, really want to hoon a massively overpowerdful rear-wheel-drive car around an airfield...

carlb23

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2009, 01:59:25 PM »
I guess I am more of a 5th gear person since my daily driver is a high performance rear wheel drive car with a six speed, but, I really do enjoy Top gear a lot and the personalities on the show are very amusing.  I really liked the piece they did on the new Nissan (really an infiniti) Gt-R.  The GT-R is now becoming more readily available in the USA and since my Infiniti G coup in now a almost 3 years old I see a new GT-R in my future.

Carl

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2009, 02:05:53 PM »
Just for clarity , 'Pants' is  British slang , for a bit crap , rubbish , undesirable , less than appealing , etc , etc. It emerged from teen / youth culture. Pants are generally male but can be female undergarments in Britain , although the more typical word for female pants is knickers !  I think pants are trousers in America ?
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial