Author Topic: oiling a 6-1  (Read 3760 times)

Lister Rob

• View Profile
oiling a 6-1
« on: May 14, 2009, 05:55:25 AM »
 hi guys, i read in a post here that there is a spot on the head to add oil and i can,t seem to find it. It said that there was a hole to add 50 mls of oil  close to the lifters.  i filled the valve gides with oil  and greased the rocker shaft, grease in the push rod tops and was wondering where this hole is or am i mistaken. if so does anyone have a picture so i can see and if there are other spots that would be great to know also. thanks.

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Re: oiling a 6-1
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 07:01:38 AM »
Probably referring to the plug above the non-drive end of the camshaft.  It is fairly close to the lifters - they are in the crankcase.

Regards, RAB

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 09:31:10 AM »
Just to clarify , it's the hex headed plug (usually has oil stamped on it) to the left of the lifters when looking at the engine from the pushrod / inlet / exhaust  view.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

Lister Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 01:37:27 PM »

thanks guys, do anybody know what size hex plug this is. when filling will it hurt to put to much oil in and how often are you supose to fill and what is this oil hole for.  i will look at it on  the weekend because it is at the cottage. thanks again.

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 01:53:40 PM »
From memory it's about 5/16 whit spanner size , around 9/16 across the flats. It's purpose is to prime the lifters with oil so they don't run dry on start up , you only be able to fill it to the level of the hole. Unless the engine is left standing for a prolonged period it doesn't need filling at every run.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 04:47:45 PM »
Gets oil to the non-drive end cam bearing, which might otherwise be running dry for some time at start-up.

Regards, RAB