Puppeteer

Author Topic: Finding Parts for '70's 3 cylender air cooled gen set  (Read 8721 times)

Peter C.

• View Profile
Finding Parts for '70's 3 cylender air cooled gen set
« on: May 09, 2009, 02:09:40 AM »
Hi-
I'm looking at a air cooled 20HP engine with a integral gen set.
How hard is it to find parts for these? I am pretty sure the fuel pump is not working and there may be other parts needing replacement and repair. Any advice to a newbie for these type gen sets? What kind of price should consider?

Thanks,
Peter C.

Stoaty

• View Profile
Re: Finding Parts for '70's 3 cylender air cooled gen set
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 10:09:29 AM »
You don't say what type of engine this is or where you are. I am guessing it's a HR3 and your in the UK. Try here they are primarily canal boat engineers but are happy to deal with generators etc. If you scroll to the bottom of the list you will find Marine engine services of Uxbridge. I have found them very helpful in the past.

Peter C.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 03:35:27 AM »
Stoaty-
I'm in California- I have an engine number now, Its US1252ST3A28. Any idea on year built???

What I need for now is Valve rocker clearance. I set them by feal because I didn't have a gauge with me today! and they where WAY out of adjustment.
For now, I think all I'm going to do is change the oil and filter and adjust the valves better and hopefully to spec. if I can find one and hook it up!!! See how it does under load ;D

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 02:42:47 PM »
             Hello there, Peter C.
                                         You should have a solid but noisy old unit there.To decode the engine number, I,m guessing the US means US market model (1800 rpm)
       Next digits are serial no. for that year, Model is ST, 3= 3 cylinders, A= anticlockwise (viewing flywheel end) 28 added to 1950= 1978 build.
       Haven't got the manual close by, but round .008" comes to mind for valve clearance, don't go any less.I can look it up if no-one else replies. If valve settings were very
       loose check condition of rocker arm bushes, and if they are much worn run the motor with rocker covers off and note whether plenty of oil is flowing to bushes and
       valve gear. If not, then remove upper sidecover and check that rubber tee pieces on small oil lines are intact. Also worth draining oil and removing lower sidecover to
       remove and clean oil intake screen. I believe parts for ST models onwards are available but expensive. You may be able to seek out a North American source, or some
       forum members may know British sources. Don't worry about oil pressure seeming low when the engine is loaded and very hot. As long as it shows a few pounds it's OK
                                                                                                                        Regards,  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

Peter C.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 04:58:16 PM »
Thanks combuster!
Yes it is noisy. I'm hoping a bigger exaust muffler will help. The top end is getting oil. Its more like a drible than a splash. The rockers have oil at the valve stems but just bearly. I'm doing an oil change today so I will check the screen. Thanks!
Any advice for making it quiet? I'm planning on "hard" mounting it inside a shed with plenty of air flow. I want to vent the exaust outside for heat reduction and air quality.

Combustor

• Combustor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 04:52:32 PM »
           Hello again Peter C,
                                     Happy to hear you have your ST3 running well. I checked my manual for valve clearance, and .008" is OK. Book says .006"gauge is "go"
          and .008" is "no go", so average setting is .007".  Noise will be a problem, and a bigger muffler will help somewhat, but look for one made for a diesel,
          as some gas types carbon up and choke the motor.
                   Yes, you will have to allow it lots of air flow, as in hot and calm conditions air can recirculate and cause overheating.  The ST series have no provision for
          air outlet ducting, so an open structure is the only choice. Most aircooled motors radiate a lot of noise by their very design, and your best hope is to reflect
          noise away using a solid barrier, (brick, concrete etc) and hope you have tolerant neighbours.
                  Your top end oil flow is probably OK, it increases as the oil warms up and thins out under load. You have a tough old unit there. Installed a well used ST2
          unit out bush several years ago and it ran 24/7 on full load up to 110 degree temps and refuses to die.  Regards,  Combustor.
Toys include- Lister CS 8/1, Lister VA SOM plant and some Aussie engines.
   "Old iron in the Outback" Kimberley, West Australia.

driller

• View Profile
Three cylinder Lister
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 12:15:47 AM »
 I was just given one and am trying to find a manual for it as well
 Read a couple of the replys and mine is air cooled,definately loud and as I remember a solid engine however it leaves me in the dark as to the years when this one was made Serial number US 196 ST3A26.
 Understand it was made for the american market and ST3 stands for three cylinder and the A is for anticlock-wise but otherthen that I'm in the fog.
 Can you help me on that one?

AdeV73

Re: Three cylinder Lister
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 12:27:08 AM »

Serial number US 196 ST3A26.

The US = US market, as you've decyphered.
196 = the engine's production number
ST3 = the type & number of cylinders
A = anti-clockwise rotation
26 = +50 is the year it was made

So, we can say this was the 196th ST3 made in 1976.

Tada!  ;D

Peter C.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 05:49:37 PM »
Thanks guys for all the info and suggestions.
I'm loving this Lister!!! But oh boy is it noisey! I thought my Honda was loud, Ha!
So, after I did the oil change, I decided to load it up. I had an old Bridgport Mill-3/4HP, Logan Lathe-1HP, Bosch Table Saw-?1/2HP?, 500W light, 3/4HP vacuum, Rockwell Wood Lathe-3/4HP and 2 florecent lights running on it. I turned on and off the biggest/ hardest to start machine to see what load spike would do....No audible change, however I did see some wisps of smoke, if I looked real close at the exaust.
I'm Happy!!!

I'm still in need of a manual and parts supply. Seems the fuel line connection to the filter system needs washer and the connection bolt (don't know what they are called) with the hole in it so fuel can flow through is a bit twisted from over tightening.

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 10:37:37 PM »
Congradulations on your aquisition, the fitting you are refering to is called a "banjo fitting" & the bolt is a (you guessed it) "banjo bolt". not sure where you are but there are several lister suppliers in the U.S. use your search engine & put in "lister-petter" & you should get several.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

Peter C.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 01:53:46 AM »
Thanks lowspeedlife-
Hmm, I wonder why they call it a banjo fitting??? Could it be that it looks like a banjo :o Huh, whoda thought!

dcamac1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 02:24:59 PM »
Peter C. PM me with an address, I'll copy and send you an ST1,2,3 manual.
Regards DC

Peter C.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 06:58:04 PM »
PM sent- Thanks dcamac1!!!

macguyverkevin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2023, 05:27:15 PM »
Hey Peter, looks like you have a very similar gen as I do! I'm in Cali too, mt ST3 is same year but 74th unit built.
Gen head is a Kohler, it's a retired ATT trailer-mount unit.

So many questions: ???
How are you liking it these days?
Did you get the noise tamed?
Has Newsome been knocking at your door?   :police: ;D

Mine just decided to misbehave, overheated while running during a PGE equipment repair, found the crankcase full of fuel! Soooo, I'm back on this great resource looking for answers....

KM
Tinkerer of all things mechanical!
It's all nuts and bolts and amps and volts!