Author Topic: Resilient mount slow speed  (Read 17147 times)

xyzer

• View Profile
Resilient mount slow speed
« on: April 30, 2009, 08:20:28 PM »
The cement replacement....?!

Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Resilient mount slow speed
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 08:24:19 PM »
where is the glass of water?

:)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 08:26:02 PM »
Bob
Can't you see it? It is up there!
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 11:08:07 PM »
Well, I think i see one God Awfully Big turbo charger!?

SteveU.
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 12:50:30 AM »
I wounder how big the air cleaner and muffler are!!!!!!!

That thing must be 30 to 40 feet tall . Must have a 10 foot stroke.

Must run under 200 RPM  ::)
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

Wizard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 01:37:25 AM »
About 4-5' stroke.  12" to 26" inches across a piston.   Average 100-150rpm.

Cheers, Wizard

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 02:26:17 AM »
much larger than that

http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/

also hyandai (i can't find a link) makes a larger 14 cylinder that can propel a container ship faster than any other
ocean going ship,

bob g

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 02:32:18 AM »
Gotta love an engine with multiple tier hand rails around it. Of course a 36 in piston don't hurt ether. lol

Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

adhall

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 03:49:22 AM »
Bob:

Here is a link to information on the Hyundai engines:

http://www.hyundai-engine.com/

They list a 14 cylinder, two-stroke engine that produces 97,300 kW @ 94 RPM. (With specific fuel consumption quoted as 171 g/kWh.)

Interestingly, the site you linked to refers to another engine that produces 108,920 hp (approximately 81,222 kW) @ 102 RPM [let's not over-rev now!]  as "The Most Powerful Diesel Engine In the World". Perhaps it was at one time or is under certain conditions. (And its specific fuel consumption is quoted as .278 lb/hp/hr--which by my calculation is 169 g/kWh.)

Best regards,
Andy Hall

JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 04:47:07 AM »
they featured one of these engines on discover channel
iirc it was a 10 cyl hyundai, and they were to take delivery of a 14 cylinder
power container ship as well.

the capt stated that they have no fear of pirates, because of the massive amount of power on tap
they can outrun any other ship out in the open ocean, that being fully laden with shipping containers!

i bet that is a rush one never forgets, can you imagine the feeling of raw power coming up through the ships
superstructure when you throttle up?

incredibly large those engines are, i got pictures somewhere showing welded in ladders going down into the
crankcase beside each crank throw,, makes the mean look like ants  in comparison.

all i want to see it the machine tools necessary to chuck up the crankshaft for machining

iirc the 14 cylinder crank is around 140ft in length, thats friggin huge by any standards.

bet there is no gib keys either :)

bob g

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 10:31:21 AM »
The link to the hyundai at the top of the page shows steel bar type ladders welded in at each crank throw like you refer to Bob, very convienient I think.

Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 11:12:50 AM »
True story time.

And one reason why elf and safety regs exist.

The first thing you need to know is that in a ship engine room, even with the main engines shut down, there are many sources of noise, you could be inside a tank with a lump hammer and those outside the tank would not necessarily know you are there...

So, these big engines, often opposed piston 2 strokes, often with electrically driven scavenger / blowers, you get periodic maintenance.

In some cases maintenance means opening the blast doors and crawling inside the manifold to access the rings through the ports for cleaning and maintenance, or sometime piston crowns through the ports.

Regs state two people, one stays outside, you stay on an orange safety line, one outside never leaves his station, not even for a piss, while you are inside, anyway, elf and safety regs weren't followed, guy crawls inside to do his maintenance job.

They reckon the ship rolled a little at her moorings, maybe bunkering, maybe a gust of wind, and event, the blast door that should have been dogged back swings shut and a couple of the dogs drop into place.

Some hours later a different fitter on the next shift notices some of the dogs undone, tuts to himself, and dogs them all down tight.

An hour later the main engines fire up, the poor bastard still inside the manifold starts getting flashed with cylinder temperature exhaust gas, which in the case of a big engine just working up is 150 to 170 celcius, not a quick death or a pretty one.

Many hours later the crew realise one is missing, many hours after this they have eliminated MOB etc and determined that the last anyone knew old freddie was going to clear out the rings and ports, they have sea room so engines are shut down, this time two people, one goes in and finds and retrieves the flame grilled body.

------------------------------

More lister centric.

I used to have a set of pictures, a guy walked past a running 6/1, somehow a loose fold of overalls got caught in the keyway at the end of the crank, within the next second it has grabbed him, literally spun him around vertically off his feet and slammed him head first into the ground, luckily for him this was an earth flower bed and not the concrete driveway the lister was sat on, at which point the extra torque required to fling him around again fell below the point at which his old cotton overalls and working jeans would tear, so in the next second he is up under the crank getting abraded by the flywheel (luckily he had gloves for that) and the torque is trying to wrap him around the crank, overalls tear, jeans tear, even his underpants are ripped off his body.

30 seconds after this the pictures are taken, you can already see the massive bruises coming up on his legs and hips and buttocks.

I would never ever wear anything except old cotton overalls and work clothes, modern synthetic overalls are just unwrapped synthetic rope, more than strong enough to tear you in half.

--------------------

when I was a lad I put a 1.5" whitworth spanner (a big spanner) on top of a running stationary engine, just for a minute, while tapping up some mounts, it vibrated off and into the flywheel.

luckily for me I dropped a nut at that exact moment and bent down to pick it up, I felt something go past my head and simultaneously heard a clang.

the spanner, which weighed about 4 lb, went through the space where my head was at flywheel rim speed, basically 50 mph, which for you ballistics guys is a 4lb slug moving at about 75 feet per second (old rule of thumb, 1 mph = 1.5 fps) which is in bullet, say hello to watermelon, territory.

-----------------------

My dad, a fucking world class engineer who forgot more than I well ever know and who spent his life around big machinery as well as small, lost half of his index finger on his right hand, not on a fucking great machine, but on a car battery powered atco electric cylinder lawnmower, which jammed on a twig, which he pulled out without first isolating the battery.

---------------------

there are very few machines so small and so weedy that they cannot maim or kill you, but when you start going bigger they can maim and kill you in all sorts of interesting and new ways, simply because of the kinetic and potential energies at play.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 11:37:05 AM »
Can't see the cold start change over valves ??!!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 02:16:12 AM »
they will just open the hatch cover, send a guy in with a pressure washer, broom/dustpan, mop and squeegie

:)

of course real engine's have "real" oil pumps, and some sort of filtration

with such any engine can tolerate some sand, and they do!

ever cut a filter apart after breakin on a new first world engine?
oughta try it sometime, its amazing all the grit, bits, and pieces that get caught in the folds
of the paper element.

bob g