Puppeteer

Author Topic: Valve Clearance  (Read 10199 times)

Montana

• View Profile
Valve Clearance
« on: April 11, 2009, 05:38:28 AM »
Ok Im getting ready to try to start my Powerline 12/1 and I need to set the valve clearances.  The manual that came with the engine doesnt have the info in it for a 12/1.  Nor does the web site at poweranand,com    Anyone with a 12/1 got clearances?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 05:40:53 AM by Montana »
Totally off Grid and Loving It :)
Omega 6/1
Powerline 12/1 7.5kw ST Generator

NoSpark

• View Profile
Re: Valve Clearance
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 02:06:46 PM »
Looks like .008(.20mm) for both. The 6/1 heads have a lot larger clearance for some reason.
Anand Powerline 6/1 ST5

Montana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 10:09:54 PM »
Ok I set the rockers to .008 clearance.  Thanks Nospark.

Well the "BEAST LIVES"  !!

After several tries to start it I was about to quit.  It would puff some smoke but no signs it was going to start.
I didnt think that I had but maybe one more burst of energy left to try it.  I also cheated on this next to last
attempt.  I went to the truck and got my can of ether, I know, I shouldnt do it but what the heck. Gave it a little snort and started cranking.
Boom it started at the last second but it started backwards.  Shut it off and with renewed hopes I gave it one last crank.  Success !
It started to run and I was as happy as a kid with a new bike.  Didnt run it but for 10 to 15 seconds as it started to move off
of the blocks that I have the frame on.  Seem like it took for ever for the thing to stop running after I shut of the injector pump.
Next step is to start to make a heat exchanger.
Omega 6/1

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 08:14:52 AM »
You were lucky you were not cranking when it went 'boom' and turned backwards.  You are asking for an accident incident using a trick like that.  I crossed out 'accident' because the definition relates to not being able to predict an event.

Next step might be to bolt it down.

RAB

Montana

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 02:53:17 PM »
Boom was not what happen, just a figuar of speech for success.  It started just as I petered out on cranking it.  I didnt have the energy to follow thru as I let the handle slip off.
Yep Im looking for a place to bolt her.   I was thinking the basement but Im not sure how much noise or vibration to expect.  Ill run the exhaust out side. 
This 12/1 has huge CB inside and I thought it might run like the one video they showed with the water glass on top.   Im glad it wasnt a hopper.

Omega 6/1

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 03:17:59 PM »
You were lucky you were not cranking when it went 'boom' and turned backwards.  You are asking for an accident incident using a trick like that.  I crossed out 'accident' because the definition relates to not being able to predict an event.

Next step might be to bolt it down.

RAB

Just incase anyone reading this doesn’t understand what 90owner is saying…………it's absolute madness to use Easystart (either) in a hand cranked diesel. It usually results in broken wrist or arm, teeth smashed out etc. Montana, you are one lucky cookie!!! ;D ;D
I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 04:43:56 PM »
Should any one have to use easystart , crank up to speed BEFORE spraying into the intake and only give it a quick whiff !!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

tlfrantz1

• Leapin' Listeroids
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 07:53:55 PM »
Hey, Montana, try Utterpower's site...    http://utterpower.com/lister_s.htm

Tommy
Q: What is the difference between God and Barack Obama?
A: God doesn't think He's Barack Obama.

Montana

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 05:28:38 AM »
being off .005 would'nt effect it starting would it?
Omega 6/1

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 10:23:13 PM »
Instead of nitro you can try holding a lit propane torch close enough to the air intake to allow it to suck heated air in as you crank. Kinda takes 2 people but worked for me in the dead of winter once before I restored compression with a rebuild. Paul.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire