Author Topic: 2.5" exhaust pipe...  (Read 11466 times)

AdeV73

2.5" exhaust pipe...
« on: April 08, 2009, 07:01:31 PM »
I've been looking for some exhaust components for the Lister; the problem is, it's dead easy to find prices for specific makes/models of car, but nearly impossible to determine what size pipe is fitted, as standard, to said makes/models... So, whilst I'm fairly sure that a Mini or a Ford Ka exhaust will be far too small a bore, and a Subaru Impreza WRX is probably too big a bore... does anyone know any (UK) makes/models which use 2.5" as standard?

As an alternative, I may use the Aston Martin exhausts I have here (ex racing car): they're only 2" bore, but I have two silencers I can run in parallel... I doubt it'll make a CS sound like a DB7, though!

carlb23

• View Profile
Re: 2.5" exhaust pipe...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 07:21:24 PM »
if this is a 6/1 i would think that at 2" exhaust is large enough.

carl
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 07:58:12 PM by carlb23 »

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 07:37:04 PM »
Truck systems would probaly be an easier source. Any reason why your not going for galv pipe as per standard ?
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

1958steveflying

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:02:06 PM »
Use what you have...    ;D

Steve

Ratman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:06:41 PM »
If you have a motor factor like Partco or Unipart as it's now known they can supply lengths of exhaust pipe up to about 5 1/2"" I know for a fact that Walker and Timax do these lengths and 2 1/2" is available. Elbows and other fittings are available also, just ask to have a look at a catalogue.
Good luck.
Rob
I like to think the older I get the wiser I become, but I'm not so sure.

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 10:37:04 PM »
One of the Indian 6/1 manuals I have (they're copies of the British manual) said 1.5" exhaust is fine for up to 10' exhaust line.  After that, they recommend 2" pipe.  Although diesels really don't like back pressure, it's a low-tech engine.  Use whatever is available and you'll be fine.

Was out walking the other day and some squirrel in a modded diesel pickup almost ran over me as I was crossing a parking lot.  Thing had twin chromed 8" exhausts behind the cab protruding up through the pickup bed.  Don't know what would possess someone to do something like that.  Some idiot's toy.

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

AdeV73

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 11:58:58 PM »
OK, Aston silencers it is, then :)  I'm pretty near a couple of motor factors, so getting straight lengths, bends, etc. should be easy enough.

Oh, and as it happens, the Scooby turbo does use 2.5" pipe as standard... but I don't have enough of that system to sensibly use...

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 04:37:37 AM »
Over on this side of the pond those 8" twin chrome "stacks" are what all the rednecks put on thier trucks, at least the ones that can still afford to drive thier trucks.
 P.S. I'm not quite that redneck,, yet :D

Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

tlfrantz1

• Leapin' Listeroids
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 04:04:42 PM »
Totally off-thread, I know, but I saw a pickup that had the exhausts running around the cabin just behind the doors---you'd get 3rd degree burns just getting in and out of the thing!
Q: What is the difference between God and Barack Obama?
A: God doesn't think He's Barack Obama.

Stan

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 04:24:28 PM »
Not if you're a "Real Man".  :-*
Stan

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 06:10:52 PM »
Eight inch diameter stacks?  Twelve inch would reduce the theoretical backpressure significantly.  These guys just ain't thinking like an engineer!  ;D
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 06:58:07 PM »
Be aware that the exhaust unions are 2" BSP, which is the PIPE ID, not the pipe outer size, so what you think is 2.5" pipe is probably a 2" BSP fitting.

BSS Group carry black steel fittings in 2" BSP, most car silencers are too small to get anywhere near.

I'm just putting together a system for the Ruston, and may use a JP or 9/1 cast silencer, that has suitably sized flanges but is horribly heavy, the larger one is almost a 2-man lift!

Peter

Grael

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 04:43:02 AM »
Re: Did that truck resemble this one?

Shoulda gone off the turbo straight up through the hood. Like this one:

GOT SOOT???  :D

2" exhaust should be fine for a 'roid.
GTC 8-1

"Traveling 33 RPM in an iPod world"

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 06:31:51 AM »
No, this one was white with pink/purple artwork on it.  Not very manly, if you ask me.  Didin't look to see what that was about, just glad I saw him in time to dodge between two cars and continue on my way.  Listening to an MP3 player with earbuds in isn't really a good idear when crossing a parking lot at lunchtime. 

Was just wondering what would possess someone to spend that much money on a useless mod like that.  Especially on a truck that's not set up to ever pull anything or go offroad. 

Yeah, I think the 2 or 2.5" is fine for a 'roid.

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 01:06:05 PM »
Was just wondering what would possess someone to spend that much money on a useless mod like that.  Especially on a truck that's not set up to ever pull anything or go offroad. 

Quinn

Stupidity.

SR
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid