Puppeteer

Author Topic: The Redstone Diesel project  (Read 111231 times)

wrightkiller

• View Profile

SteveU.

• View Profile
Re: The Redstone Diesel project
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 03:38:02 PM »
Nice posting Mr Wrightkiller

John F. it is  your good well known personal integrity over and above the engine specs that insures you will be very successful with this engine offering. Good informative page.
My hats off to your honesty. You will have no problem finding ready willing users for these engines.

Best Regards
SteveU.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:06:29 PM by SteveU. »
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 07:00:31 PM »

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 12:15:08 AM »
If my calcs are correct this engine is about 20% more efficient than a Listeroid! So tempting!!!
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

listerboy

• I love the smell of diesel in the morning....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 05:20:44 PM »
I would love to see a video of a Redstone starting and running. I've googled with no luck. Any videos out there anywhere?

hotater

• View Profile
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 02:10:45 AM »
So, since I have no welding skills, and no workshop (yet) I would be getting a genset shipped to my "as yet to be built" shop and engine hut.  Is there going to be a built up genset?  Could I order one, on a well welded frame, set down to low speed (spring change) with about a 5KW 4 pole head ?  Or are we not at a prefab stage yet ? Delivery would be to Northern Calif.

Mike

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 05:14:00 AM »
John has posted some nice clear pics here:

http://www.woodnstuff.ca/redstone/index.html

Any updates John on how it's doing????

Just curious...

Thanks,

Steve

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 10:50:01 AM »
Again, life has intervened.  I'm not a lot further on with the project, I had hoped to have it in the gen shed by now but the sudden appearance of an old (63 or so) Ruston-Hornsby air cooled engine mated to a Tamper genhead kinda distracted my attention.  Sigh - I'll get back to it soon!
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 02:01:49 PM »
Mike:

I have the plans for a no-weld frame for the engines.  I have made several and they are very strong, if you want a copy pm me at "john@woodnstuff.ca"
John F
2 x 6/1 JKSON.  1 x 10/1 JKSON, 1 x 27hp Changfa, 1 x 28hp AG295, 1 genuine 1939 SOM, a couple of others in test mode and a Hercules Multu-fuel still in the box.

apogee_man

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 06:42:49 AM »
Thanks John,

I appreciate the update.

You ought to post some pics of the Ruston as I, for one, would be interested in seeing them!

Sounds like a cool project!

Please keep us posted on the Redstone when you get to it.  No hurry though as I also understand life getting in the way.

Regards,

Steve

prof.blink

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »
john1,has any of these engines gotten into the hands of buyers yet? if so,to what effect? do you think this engine would stand up runniing a line shaft unattended 16hr shifts? i have a 2 bay truck and equipt wash down with hi press water pumps{4},1soap inj pump,dryiny and ventilator fans and 1 air comp head{small}. i would be able to use every bit of heat.  i have been using a farmall model M with flatbelt that is a running oil leak and an atractive nuicance.  btw, the only cont. load would be from the squirrel cage fans. blink

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 06:01:36 PM »
Blink;

I don't see why they could not be left unattended.  The sump is a huge 11 litres and the engine seems to me to be designed for long-term running, it's built like an oilfield engine.  Unfortunately we have found some casting sand in a couple of the engines that have been put into service so I cannot say they are ready to go out-of-the-box, they do need to be checked.  I have an email in to my agent over in China and he will be visiting the factory to talk to them about this.  From what I can see it looks like the engines we got in are from two entirely different builds - some are clean as whistles and the others, well, not so much.  I hate it when this stuff happens, just makes it more difficult for everyone. 
John F

prof.blink

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 07:22:58 PM »
johnf, would a complete disassembly or open the mouse holes to clean out be needed? also, does engine have bare portion of stub available to mount pulleys ? one more ? if posiible, can i run this at rated speed when needed and idlle back during the lull? blink

JohnF13

• View Profile
    • woodnstuff
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 12:25:21 AM »
Blink;

To be on the safe side, I think I would take off the sump and end covers along with the side cover to have a look at everything.  As I said, most of the engines are fine but we have found some significant problems with a couple.  I wouldn't feel comfortable telling someone to run it out-of-the-box.  I don't think there is a need to completely disassemble unless you find some problems.

The engines come with a flat pulley, but you can also run off the drive side flywheel.  In my case I run at 1200 rpm using a 13" pulley.

You can always idle back, but it is not a good idea.  With a single speed engine the governor dictates how much fuel the engine consumes - if there is no load it is just idling anyway, slowing it down would not save much and would result in a lower voltage output.  You don't really want to be running a diesel engine for long periods without load - they just get lazy and coke up on you.  They like to work, my 6/1's are usually running at 80% of capacity.
John F