Author Topic: Injector question  (Read 3348 times)

AdeV73

Injector question
« on: March 22, 2009, 11:26:30 PM »
Am I right in thinking that the arrowed item in the picture below is the "injector leak-off connection"?

Apologies for the poor angle, hence the lack of definition in the photo - the arrow is pointing to a sort of nipple-shaped piece that is bolted into the injector. It has a screw thread, presumably for a fitting which bolts to it, and seals via an olive.

Assuming this is the case: What is the function of the "leak off connection", when will it "leak off", and should I have it connected back to the tank, or is it OK to leave it disconnected, as it currently is?

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Injector question
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 12:06:13 AM »
back to the tank if possible
back to the fuel line feeding your primary filter if to the tank is too far.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

12 gauge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 12:13:04 AM »
AdeV,
That is the leak off connection, and you should run a return line back to the tank or perhaps the filter.  The injector relies on close fitting parts for leak reduction internally but a small amount of fuel does get past and this is then returned to the tank.
Best regards,
RH

Stan

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 01:36:01 AM »
My research has shown some listers that have a tin can hanging from a wire with the leak-off tube emptying into it.  You'd have to dump the diesel back into the tank yourself in that case.
Stan