Puppeteer

Author Topic: ph2w tickover  (Read 3699 times)

martinwill

• View Profile
ph2w tickover
« on: March 24, 2009, 09:08:38 AM »
Ran the engine yesterday ,getting ready for the new season. rigged up a cycle speedometer to measure rpm at tickover.
it ticks over at 950 rpm but still dies at around 920rpm, so still looking for advice on how to lower the rpm to about 600.
done everything i can think of including getting the pumps serviced, new nozzles in the injectors, double checked the spill timing (13/16" on pump rack at 28 degrees btdc), removed and cleaned heads and valves, has full compression. It starts and builds revs with no problems.
This one has got me stumped and am looking for any surgestions.

listerdiesel

• View Profile
Re: ph2w tickover
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 10:33:09 AM »
It should really run down to the point where nothing in the injection system works. If you think of the starting up procedure, it must have fuel to get it running, and as you can start it, you obviously have most of it right.

If both cylinders are dropping off, I'd suggest that maybe you have the wrong elements in the pumps, but I think you mentioned that this was a problem before servicing the fuel parts?

The other thing to check is the tension of the governor springs, as they may well not be up to the pull of the external return spring and just collapse at low speeds.

If the engine starts up OK, then it sounds like mechanical governer type of problem, they did supply different governor springs for different speed ranges, and that expernal spring might not be the correct original.

Peter

martinwill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 10:14:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply, Both cylinders do die at the same time and yes there was a problem with one of the pump elements so it was replaced when i had the pumps serviced. I have to give it full throttle briefly when re starting.
I have not looked into the govenor side of things so thats the next job then. Its a 2000rpm motor and all the external springs look to be origional as they still had what looked like origional paint on them before i re-painted the engine. Another thing is that there are no instructions in the manual i have on how to set up these springs, one on the end of the pump rack (non adjustable)and one on the throttle rod (this one is tension adjustable).
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 10:21:39 AM by martinwill »

martinwill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 01:03:39 PM »
itching to have a go at the problem after recieving the reply to my problem so i dropped tools and headed for the boat.
Played around with the tension of the spring on the throttle rod and hey presto got the tickover rpm down to 600
So thanks very much Listerdiesel.
The tension on the spring must be factory set as there is no instructions in the manual. wolud be interesting to know the correct method of setting tension instead of trial and error.