Author Topic: How to remove rotors from tapered crankshafts  (Read 5632 times)

barry100

• View Profile
How to remove rotors from tapered crankshafts
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:50:20 PM »
Hi All -- Anyboby know the method of removing A/C rotors from taperedĀ  engine cranks , the type where a long bolt goes through the rotor,ie 16 HP Briggs/Stratton single, the last one I removed I was using wedges and hamering etc, without success, the next day I rolled the engine over and the rotor almost fell off by is self.
Barry

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
Re: How to remove rotors from tapered crankshafts
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 11:10:38 PM »
Heat and a puller !!  Not alot of heat , just too hot to touch. Tighten the puller up a bit and tap the pressure screw with a copper hammer , that normally breaks the taper.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:33:53 PM »
Hi Barry, normally I will loosen the bolt but not remove it, loose enough that there is space between the head & the rotor, then strike it with a BRASS hammer sharply on one side , back by the bearing, not hard enough to bend it. usualy it wil just fall off. if not, strike the other side & it should fall off. you may havr to replace the bearing if you don't remove it first.

SR.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 07:59:38 PM »
The usual way to remove a rotor from a tapered shaft is to extract it using a piece of rod passed down ihe centre of the rotor shaft and screwing in a bolt on top of the rod. Unscrew the threaded shaft in the rotor and you should see the extraction thread. You have to make sure the extraction rod is small enough to go through the thread on the crankshaft.

Mick

barry100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 11:24:06 PM »
Hi all
Still havn't got it off,The rotor didn't have anĀ  internal thread so it didn't try the puller method, I was at the local gen-set repairers yesterday and they say they thread the inside of the rotor and impact it off with a slide hammer
Barry

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 01:43:17 AM »
Hi Barry, the slide hammer sounds like a good idea if you have one & can thread the end of the rotor shaft (try to keep the metal shavings out of the windings) I hope for your sake the person who assembled it did not use locktite on the shaft surface, if they did it will never come off without heating it to the point of damaging the rotor. what kind of generator is it you have, & is ther any chance of finding a replacement if you damage it?

Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 11:22:12 AM »
I say again , use a 3 legged puller and a little heat on the rotor , strike the pressure screw on the puller and it will come off !!!!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!