Author Topic: Air Compressor  (Read 6025 times)

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
Air Compressor
« on: February 27, 2009, 11:58:20 PM »
OK was at Home Hardware today and they have this comprsssor onsale for..$100 because the nail gun is missing from the package.

Would it be any good for a light duty user like me that might use a nail gun and the odd power tool for small jobs

http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/show/product/I1282945/name/nailer_kit_air_brad_2
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 12:02:41 AM by t19 »
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
Re: Air Compressor
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 12:34:38 AM »
Ideal for that sort of use. Little tip , if you do buy one , after a couple of hours use drain the oil and refill with some decent stuff.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

bob b

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 02:10:40 AM »
have one that is spittin image in the my cellar. Direct drive (but starts pretty soft). intermittent duty. Has maybe 3 hrs TOTAL runtime in two years. Harbor freight special. Needs a #12 cord to start or it trips the thermal. Mine works OK for light duty. (15 minutes then give it a rest) No regrets.

Stan

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 02:14:28 AM »
Similar to mine Andrew.....If I had to do it over again I'd go a bit bigger.  I can drive 20 or 30 brads before it comes on to refill itself, and when using it to dismount tires with an impact wrench, I can't do all the nuts on one wheel without waiting for it to recharge itself.  Mine has the same ratings as yours, but they are very very optimistic I'd say.  Good enough, but not as good as I'd like.
Stan

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 03:02:22 AM »
And bleed the water from the tank after every use .... :)

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 06:38:33 AM »
I don't think you can go wrong at that price  ;) !   But if you can look at it in person and see if you can find the tag that lists the duty cycle, you might want to think about it if it's real low.  Some of these made in China units are only 30% duty cycle and they are being optimistic at that  :o !  It can be a real pain if you have to wait for the motor to cool down to continue with what you are doing.  I have a Harbour Freight special that makes me wait sometimes when I'd rather not  :-\ !  I replaced a trusty old belt drive unit that had been 100% duty cycle so I'm a little spoiled, I didn't really think about how long I like to blast things with air, but the Chinese compressor is lighter and eaiser to move around.  Another thing to consider is that a 1800 RPM unit might start at the end of an extension cord where a 3600 RPM might not.  All things considered it's a good price if it works for you!                                                                            Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 09:36:28 AM »
- Peak 5 hp, 13 amp
- Running 2 hp, 6 amp
- 3400 rpm
- 120V ~ 60Hz

Only 2 ponies if that is 6 amps at 120 Volts, not 2HP? >:(

I picked up a good one for $40 equivalent, last year from a steam rally vendor and my non-portable 10cfm 2-stage cast iron pump, with 2HP motor, cost me $60 equivalent from a farm sale.

Regards, RAB

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 09:52:29 AM »
Lets not get out of context here , these cheap , imported direct drive compressors are not intended for serious , continuous duty workshop use. They do the job they are intended for fine , occasional , low demand tasks like tire inflation , air nailer , etc. I think thats what t19 wants it for so he can't go wrong at that price. Even if he gets only 2 or 3 years out of it , the unit is a bargain !!

For serious use I have a big old Aerograph unit , built like a Lister and it will be still standing when man is extinct !! Motor even has bearing greaser's !!  This is  a large heavy unit though so is no good when I want portable air for a long job , for that I have a small Hydrovane  , not much bigger than the unit t19 is contemplating but it would cost around $1000 new !! Difference is , it will work continuously without detriment to the air end or motor. Horses for courses.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

adhall

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 05:03:46 AM »
- Peak 5 hp, 13 amp
- Running 2 hp, 6 amp 
- 120V ~ 60Hz

Let's do some math here. The results are interesting:
    Input: 6 Amp X 120 V = 720 W
    Output: 2 Hp X 746 = 1492 W

So, according to the nameplate, the motor power output is more than twice the electrical power input and that is assuming unity power factor and 100% motor efficiency. If you assume a power factor of .8 and efficienty of 85%, then the ratio becomes even more extreme. (More than 3 to 1.)

Wow! I want some motors like this for my perpetual motion machine!  ;D ;D (Tongue planted firmly in cheek.)

Best regards,
Andy Hall

JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor