Author Topic: English Lister update----  (Read 4916 times)

hotater

• View Profile
English Lister update----
« on: April 06, 2006, 09:07:15 PM »
  I just wanted to lather up the crowd a little bit and tell everyone that a risk taken is sometimes worthwhile....even though I risk talking about it prematurely, maybe.  It'll be a year before I lay eyes on what I just bought.

With the help of Ken (Mr.Lister) I aquired from ebay what appears to be a VERY nice 1949 Lister 5-1 CS that came as a big pump set.

http://www.powercubes.com/lister_pump.html

The seller had a use for the pump and had taken it apart and stored it separate from the engine and seemed determined to keep it.  If he'd taken the engine off the vast expanse of special cast iron base, we'd have never known it and the "Plant" would have been lost forever, but the prospect of pumping water with a Lister pumpset ...... NO way was that pump going to stay across the pond!!.
  After some serious negotiations and the timely intervention of my 'agent', Ken, the pump has been aquired for a rather breath-taking, but fair price.

The pump is a Lister No. H-5 double-acting piston pump that is connected directly to the engine flywheel by a universal type connector and shock spider.  The pump has two oval mounting feet that bolt to the cast iron base and a sheet metal guard goes over the engine/pump connection.  The bulb near the top of some pictures stands on top of the pump as a 'pulse killer' in the water stream.
   Pump performance is typical for a modern 5 HP electric pump at 28gpm @ 250 feet of head, but just imagine those bull gears whirling and the dual crank arms reciprocating once a second

Here's an H-1 model to show the arrangement of parts.
http://www.stationaryengine.org/H1_pump.htm

Now,  Does *anybody* see a clutch anywhere in that set??  Starting might be a young man's sport!!   ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 09:30:26 PM by hotater »
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
Re: English Lister update----
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 09:23:59 PM »
<<snip>>
Now,  Does *anybody* see a clutch anywhere in that set??  Starting might be a young man's sport!!   ;)

Getting it started against a full head would be interesting, as long as someone else was cranking.:)

I would guess that you will want to put a T in the outlet and then a check valve in the pipe against the head pressure, and the other leg of the T would have a manual valve that you could open to bypass back to the suction side of the pump.  That way you can get it running before loading it up.
May even want to put a relieve valve on the pressure side of the pump, a positive displacement pump will not take kindly to dead heading with those big flywheels. :(

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 10:09:57 PM »
I'm sure Hotater knows this already, but a positive displacement pump that's dead headed or shut off suddenly and completely (as described by Andre), with all that rotating cast iron inertia behind it, will break something.  I would not be surprised to see a pressure spike in the thousands of psi briefly before the weakest link blows up.

Might be fun to watch behind a blast door...

Finest regards,

troy

binnie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 03:14:40 AM »
If any of you are interested I just ran accross this little bueaty on an English site....Original and looks in great condition. No "Sold" sticker on it yet. They are in the Dover area. I don't know how far that is from Ken. Lots of great things on this site. Enjoy, binnie (Hotater you probably already know this one.)
http://www.prestonservices.co.uk/i-c.htm
(you will find it 1/2 way down the page for the "Stationary Engines"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LISTER
~ Model CS ~
Single Cylinder Vertical
Diesel Engine
With twin flywheels.
In original, unrestored condition.
Listeroid 12/2 Jkson with 10kw head, for backup now on diesel. Future interests: WVO, bio,  Cogen - Heat exchangers - solar.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 05:01:48 PM »
In the interest of financial survival I changed my ebay password to something 18 characters long and didn't write it down.  I'm SAFE!!!
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 05:28:18 PM »
I might have a line, under the same terms as andy, be able to source a few ex start-o-matic 240 vac + 24 vdc dynostart alternator heads.

andy's btw was in good enough condition that the last time it was started some 2 months ago a single 12 volt battery was enough to crank her over and fire up the 6/1, nae bad for a 50 year old donkey
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.