Author Topic: Stuck injection pump  (Read 24228 times)

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck injection pump
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 11:22:44 AM »
Uh oh!  You're in big trouble now!   :D
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

nobby

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 03:11:13 PM »
To save on keystrokes here are some literature links from myself and Peter which should be of great help to you.

http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=1167
http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/CAV-Injection/CAVInjMenu2.htm
http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Articles/diesel1.htm

Cheers
Nobby
2 x Lister CE's
Looking for a CD

MoeK

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 05:31:59 PM »
Please see below for the responses:

However the problem is that there is no alignment mark on the rack, or at least I can't find one. The only markings on the rack are the word stop and an arrow on one end, which is the end that sticks out most when the engine is not running.

On my units there are two small "dots" at located on the underside of the rack realtive to the stop mark. These seem to mark the start and end of the "teeth".  There is also a mark near the teeth on the pinion and one on top of the pinion sleeve where the plunger fits.

This is slightly different than what is stated on the some of the online documentation.

It is possible to  get the alignment (timing of the pump) accurate by locating the position of the plunger slot relative to the fuel inlet port. The fuel inlet port is the round hole (not slotted) on the element. When mounting the element, it should align with the fuel inlet located in the body of the pump.  If one places the pump on a the bench in the same way that it mounts on the engine, so that the fuel inlet on the pump body  is located to one's right, the rack will be all the way in (in the direction of the arrow) when the engine is stopped. At this position the slot in the plunger should be aligned with the fuel inlet port of the element.

Now the real question. What is the alignment of things. I deduce that the axial slot in the pump plunger should align with either then inlet hole or the one opposite it in the sleeve when the rack is in the stop position. Is this correct, and if so does it matter which of the two holes mentioned? With the mark on the pinion towards the rack, and the other mark on the pinion aligned with the mark on the plunger the slot is towards the hole in the main sleeve that is by the screw that holds the main sleeve in the body. This is plausible, but is it correct?

Here is what I did and this may not be the best method but results in the correct position of the plunger relative to the inlet port at the stop position.

1) Turn the pump upside down witht the inlet port on the body on your right and place the rack in the body of the pump such that it is in its mid position. This can be done by looking at the under-side of the rack and moving it such that both dots are visible outisde the pump body. These dots seem to be located at the start and end where the teeth engage the pinion.

2) Then place the pinion, so that the marking  (notch) on the pinion teeth is at about 9 o'clock position. This places the notch in the middle of the teeth on the rack.

3) Engage the rack and pinion and push the rack to the closed ("Stop") position

4) Now there are two ways the plunger can go in. The right way can be determined by either looking at the markings located on the ear of the plunger and the sleeve of the pinion, or trial and error. Take your pick and place the plunger into the pinion sleeve

4) Turn the pump the right side up and look from the top of the pump (with no delivery valve) with the inlet port to your right and the rack in the stopped position. You should see the slot in the plunger align with the inlet port. The slot should be at about 3:30 to 4 0'clock position.

5) You may need to adjust the pinion by one tooth either eay to get the exact alignment.

Hope this helps.

Moe

somian

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 12:31:49 PM »
MoeK
Having looked at the manual on the link kindly provided by Nobby I reassembled the pump so that with the rack fully towards the stop direction the slot in the plunger is towards the hole opposite the fuel inlet hole. When I have a fuel supply connected to the engine I will wind it over with the injector line disconnected from the injector, but catching the fuel in a suitable container. I will then prove that in the stop position no fuel is delivered, and that maximum flow occurs when the rack is on the other stop. Only then will I try starting the engine. I don't want there to be a silly with the result that the thing over speeds.

Thanks,

Ian

Stan

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 01:21:35 AM »
How many hours do you have invested in the pump at this point?
Stan

somian

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 10:07:32 AM »
Stan,
About three hours I should think, may be a bit less, though the job itself was spread out over a lot longer than this cos of leaving it to soak. Also, getting it off the engine was a bit of a fiddle because of where the rack was stuck. Also when putting it back I oiled the governor linkage etc and checked that all the external parts of that were happy. As yet I have not checked the pump timing, but I don't see why it should have changed. Assuming it works it was better than buying a new one. Most of the time was spent cleaning it; cleaning the crud off the outside before soaking it, and then cleaning all the parts before putting it back together.

Ian

Stan

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 10:54:31 PM »
Man, you're good!  I spent the better part of 2 weeks soaking, gently urging, cleaning etc...before I finally threw in the towel...Oh yah, and then there were the hours spent combing my messy shop for the parts that flew away when it "exploded", (old story, do a search)
Stan

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 11:01:33 PM »
Everybody does it the first time, still remember when new guys came to the shop, all work would stop while they took apart thier first pump.

SR.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid