Author Topic: Oh, my....  (Read 13722 times)

contaucreek

• View Profile
Re: Oh, my....
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 05:06:59 PM »
Nice rescue Ade !!!
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 06:53:57 PM »
P.S.- I towed my heavy flywheel 6/1 on a SOM base 150 km with my little 4 cylinder car to get it home. With base I figure 1100 lbs plus trailer 400 lbs anyway...thats a lot of weight plus I live in the land of the hills so it was a bit of a struggle....but worth it. I have a 3.5 to pick up soon...go little car go !!!
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 06:58:57 PM »
A complete SOM weighs around 900kg so I would estimate you had the best part of 1500 pounds there !!
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 07:03:26 PM »
I still think someone could make a pretty penny crating & sending a few of these across the pond, I know i'd surely pay for the trouble. Nice set of engines Ade, congradulations!

Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

AdeV73

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 07:31:44 PM »
I just opened up the SoM box, having lugged it indoors. It looks good in there, I'm guessing it's been dry pretty much all its life. The box cover is a bit oxidised, but that should brush up nicely, and I'll probably have a go at anodising it so it lasts more or less forever (I'm assuming from the weight & style of oxidisation that it's Alu). I will need a cover for the alternator box, and that's well rusted, so a bit of a job to clean up, that one...

I have one cast valve cover, and one pressed steel one... the complete engine appears to be a 1950 (4 years younger than Dad; some 23 years older than me!). There's no plate on the disassembled one, unless it's in amongst the Biscuit Tin of Bits (I capitalise that, because every engine has to have a BToB - McVities Victoria is my Tin du JourĀ  ;D)

NoSpark: I'm probably not going to paint it - except for any bits where I have to de-rust it. I'm not currently sure whether, where I make repairs, I make it very obvious it's a repair (i.e. brand new shiny paint), or whether I try to blend it with the existing patina. Rust wise, though, it doesn't look too bad, what little I've seen so far. The top of the valve cover looks to be the worst part.

Compig: Unfortunately, it's not quite as "long dormant" as you might hope - Jamie apparently cranked it up after the auction finished, but before he moved it into the potato box it's in now. But my first start will be an occasion, for me at least :) That said, the dissasembled one.... when that fires up, it will be the first time for many years...

Lowspeedlife, and everyone else who's offered their congratulations: Thanks! I'd like to try to do the best by these venerable old girls; I think the SoM I shall try to return to original spec. The frosted engine will be my WVO/WMO engine, combined with a non-original alt & base.

Right... must go, dinner with the Olds... more photos tomorrow, when the engines are in the shed :)

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 07:57:02 PM »
Nice 1 Ady , I'll try and juggle my schedule to have a drive up to share in the occasion.  However , I've just had a bit of excitement of my own !!  I just bought another SOM off Epay !!  And , for a price I can't actually believe !!  I just took a punt on it because the price was low and didn't seem to be ascending that quickly , and much to my surprise I got it !!  I may well just clean her up , connect the control boxes up , certify it's all working and ship her out to the USA if anyone's up for it ??!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 08:06:32 PM »
I see lots of hands in the air!!!
Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 08:12:11 PM »
Seriously guys , this may well be on the cards. Much as I'd dearly like to have 2 SOM's on a shared duty cycle installation and twinned for those heavy demand periods , I can't really accommodate it. This is a nice one , all there and described as overhauled and running. I'll start looking at shipping prices next week.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial

AdeV73

More photos...
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 03:34:54 PM »
...I've added some additional photos of various ancilleries, see: http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=813&g2_page=2

Tonight, I will break the engines out of the pallet, ready for cleaning, etc. As work has gone a bit pear shaped, I may not have chance to fire up the assembled one before I return to Spain :(, unless I end up having to stay an extra couple of days in the UK, in which case.....

AdeV73

Holy cow....
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 08:54:02 PM »
...that is HEAVY!

It took about an hour and a half, but I managed (on my lonesome, damnit) to extricate both engines & alternators with nothing broken, other than the pallet box & one of my straps which got a bolt through it - doh. Thank goodness for a really heavy duty engine hoist, and a reasonably flat floor!

I've uploaded several new pictures; probably the last for a while.

I will need to bolt her to the floor before I try to start her properly, although I will confess to swinging her over a couple of times: Nothing but a few puffs of white smoke, no injector creak: Diagnosis: air in the system. Also, I can swing her relatively easily through compression, which implies to me that maybe the compression is a bit low? It's not like I'm particularly fit, although I think this old cast iron girl is going to make me so...

Damn, it's no good, I'm going to have to go get that air out of the system & try just one more time....

[some time later]

No good :( I probably didn't purge the line far enough with my fizzy red diesel (looks a lot like Vimto... probably tastes similar too ;D), try again another day. Mind you, she's moving around just on the compression event, she'll probably take off across the yard if she actually fires! Maybe I should fix her down first...

Hmmm. Now she's a "she", she needs a name....

Any ideas?

wrightkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 09:00:58 PM »
Iron GirlĀ       ;D ;D                                 Old Iron Girl  :D

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 09:08:14 PM »
That's a good one, how 'bout Iron Maiden. Old rockers & iron never die!

Scott R.

omega 20/2 listeroid

MoeK

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 10:57:38 PM »
Congratulations..Great find. It's fun to bring these things back to life, but you never know what you find.

I got my hands on a CS 10/2 last fall and have been working on restoring it since then. Lots of surprises along the way. Mine a 10/2 with the SOM flywheels. Its mostly complete and in similar shape to the one you show in your photos.

The flywheels alone weigh about 250 lbs each. The engine and the pallet weighted about 1200 lbs when it arrived and took four guys to get it into the shed into my shed.  Almost destroyed the fence in my yard.... I am not looking forward to moving it again.

Moe

glastry

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 10:38:57 PM »
Lovely old metal , bet your all thrilled up !!

I keep finding myself going out & having a look at something else... just 10 mins ago, I *had* to go check the flywheels were free to rotate... no good reason (I knew they would)...

It's like being a boy all over again ;D

Brilliant buy adev!- well done ,and you too compig- twins eh?-who would have thought it!!
Do either of you  intend to put your engines to any particular "work" ?

just curious- enjoy them both,and make sure you treat them equal.

compig

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2009, 10:46:08 PM »
I already have a SOM destined to do service as a CHP plant. This latest purchase will be sold on as regrettably I can't accommodate it.
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial