Author Topic: WMO use in listers/listeroids  (Read 5968 times)

Petersbpus

• View Profile
WMO use in listers/listeroids
« on: February 18, 2009, 06:26:03 AM »
Quote from: Petersbpus
Hello Jens,
You had mentioned a while back that you were burning Waste motor oil,
I saw you were using the Racor with 2 micron on the engine,
couple of questions,
Are you thinning it with diesel or other product? Kerosene,
Are you processing it before putting in tank, like 10 or 30 micron filter,  or centrifuge
Maybe you could post full details in WMO thread, not much activity there.
I'm about ready to start running my 6\1 and have an assortment of oild deisel, WMO, used Hydralic oil, etc,
Appreciate insite into your use.
Thanks
Bob P.

The oil I was using was first given plenty of time to settle out crap. It was then filtered with commercial bag filters at 100 microns, then 10 and then 1 micron.
I tried thinning with RUG and got carried away which got me into vapour lock. I will not be doing that again. I use injector line heat so thinning is not really required.
Although I did run some straight motor oil, a lot of what I was running was 'mystery oil' which includes things like ATF and kerosene or paint thinner, diesel, hydraulic oil, you name it ...... Basically I have two fuel streams - dinosaur based and plant based. Because of the risks involved, I only keep a little of the dino based stuff around. I keep a 45 gallon drum in the garage and everything that is dino based goes in there. It might sit 6 months before I pull it (pumping off the top, leaving the bottom alone), filter it and burn it. I am just finishing my supply of dino stuff and am switching to veg based stuff for the remainder of the heating season.

You probably have seen my posts re the soot I am getting. I still have not completely satisfied myself about where exactly the soot comes from. One of the theories is that it's from the fuel and possibly the suspended soot in the oil.

Jens

Hello.

I have been reading of the soot,
are you concerned about the carbon building up on the rings ?
Maybe a little propane injection now and again to clear things out?

You are using the veggie type bags, How fast/slow did it pass thru the  bags ?? ???
Have you tried the plastic mesh units for tops of drums or buckets of various microns.?? ???
Bob P

Listeroid 6/1 in progress
Alllis Chalmers 60KW 3 ph
Changfaoid 12KW w/  auto shutdowns, modern AVR and panel
2nd Changfaoid 12KW Marine conversion w/ full auto shutdown and remote panel
Changfaoid 7.7 hp driving 5kw alternater /inverter,
other diesel gensets bought fixed and sold

LincTex

• Master Tinkerer
    • View Profile
Re: WMO use in listers/listeroids
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 04:13:15 PM »

You probably have seen my posts re the soot I am getting. I still have not completely satisfied myself about where exactly the soot comes from. One of the theories is that it's from the fuel and possibly the suspended soot in the oil.

Hmmmmm.....I often will run 10%-15% filtered UMO in my Cummins engine in my pickup. Exhaust soot goes up a LOT when running used diesel engine oil (Rotella T from a truck shop) although I do indeed like the exhaust smell. It is amazing what changes a small amount will do.