Author Topic: Fuel pump timing a Lister CD  (Read 5712 times)

Shadow

• View Profile
Fuel pump timing a Lister CD
« on: February 12, 2009, 03:11:36 AM »
I have a 1938 Lister CD, that I just got running tonite, (First time in probably 15 years). It has always needed a fuel pump,so I gave up on finding an original and found out the one off my 6/1 GTC brand bolted right on and seems to work. But I'm wondering about the timing of it.
     I presume I would find top dead center, mark it on the flywheel and do the spill test and set it where? Although it ran it was all over the board on rpms, it would do double time then level out then coast aways then fire up and run smooth then miss a couple beats...etc. I didnt expect it to run perfect yet, but thought I might check the timing. One thing I noticed was the injector 'creak' is very loud on my 6/1 whereas this one is very quiet.
        But I'm not sure where the addjustment is to adjust the fuel pump if necessary.  Thanks

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel pump timing a Lister CD
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 03:51:24 AM »
You probably don't have all the air out of the fuel system yet. Spill time to 18-20 deg BTDC.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

nobby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 04:50:02 AM »
Go to my gallery there you'll find pages from the manual for the CD/CE with the fuel timing info which you can download.  Adjustment as per the picture is behind a cover plate under the pump.

http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=334

Do you have a manual I can send you a photocopy if you like, where are you located?  Also have some single pumps for CD's around here somewhere I think amongst some other CD/CE stuff.

Cheers
Nobby
2 x Lister CE's
Looking for a CD

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 03:22:03 PM »
HI, Thanks for the reply, most helpful.
         I'm located in Sask. Canada you can email me at sbakken(at)sasktel.com
                                                   Thanks

Shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 03:19:26 AM »
They say men dont ask for directions or refer to instruction manuals when assembling things, I think theres a reason for that. Manuals can be misleading if they forget one important step or even just wording!
       I thought I'd refer my 6/1 manual to time the fuel pump on this Lister CD.Cause it should be the same procedure.
          So the manual says "Find top dead center, both valves should be closed, remove fuel delivery line,spring and delivery valve. Fuel should flow out of the top of the pump. Rotate flywheel forward until fuel stops. Install threaded fitting back on and tighten lightly, (without spring and valve). Turn flywheel back until fuel recommences to flow,then rotate flwheel forward until fuel stops.
     Okay I have no idea what we just proved there!? Fuel will flow out the pump with or without the delivery line attached? Excuse the sarcasm here but I was thoroughly pissed after working on this all morning then coming home at lunch and reading the ORIGINAL CD manual.
            They have the same steps except the very first one!! Fuel should NOT flow out at top dead center ! But rather 18-20 degrees before TDC! Then when you rotate a few degrees forward to tdc the fuel stops. So if anyone is trying to time thier Indian made Listeroid, study the wording carefully. This CD has TDC stamped on the face of the flywheel and the lightning bolt sign stamped 18-20 degrees before. So makes it very easy.It probably didnt need timing changed at all!

Anyway got that straight and WOW! It fired up and runs sooo smooth its unbelievable! Everyone that heard it run today cant believe the difference in the way it runs compared to the Listeroids.
    We ran it up to about 1200 rpm and down to I'm sure was about 300 rpm and it stayed sooo smooth! No smoke, no rattles, no vibrations. I cant believe an engine that old and hasnt ran for so long could sound so sweet! It was worth all the cussing.