Author Topic: Cold Starting  (Read 3738 times)

NoSpark

• View Profile
Cold Starting
« on: February 09, 2009, 03:01:12 AM »
I may never try starting my engine below freezing again without the aid of a propane torch. I thought I was going to need a starter or glow plug but found that laying a lit propane torch across my exhaust elbow so that the flame is pulled in on the intake stroke starts it on the first compression stroke. I've confirmed this three times. I tried sticking the torch directly into the intake like mentioned on here but the flame would get sucked out as soon as the decompression lever was thrown. This is as KISS as it gets. YMMV
Anand Powerline 6/1 ST5

ronmar

• View Profile
Re: Cold Starting
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 03:12:00 AM »
I have played around with some fire at the base of the injector.  A litle dribble of alcohol or coleman fuel in around the base of the injector and light.  I let this burn for a little while untill it burns itself out.  This warms the injector, and the fuel inside, as well as the top of the head and perhaps warms the IDI chamber a little bit.  The warm fuel atomises better and fires better under cold conditions.  Same would apply to squirting fuel into warmed intake air as you have discovered.     
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

NoSpark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 03:34:20 AM »
I'm just glad I can keep this as simple as possible. Don't know why I didn't try it before.
Anand Powerline 6/1 ST5

Stan

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 12:54:49 AM »
And you don't need a battery to fire up a glow plug either  ;D
Stan

NoSpark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 02:01:18 AM »
I started to grow suspicious about the increasingly harder starts below freezing and the hit n miss sound of the engine for a minute after start up. I had started the engine many times before below freezing without starting aids. I tried different fuel combinations and additives but no help. One day I pulled the injector and found quite a thick layer of carbon on it, and cleaned it up. Next day it was 19f and it started right up with no aids what so ever. I'm so impressed  :) Should be called a Lister VCS (Very Cold Start).
Anand Powerline 6/1 ST5