Puppeteer

Author Topic: Over The Counter Vegetable Oil Preferences  (Read 9920 times)

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Over The Counter Vegetable Oil Preferences
« on: December 16, 2008, 03:37:02 AM »
Have any of you heard of research or reporting on over-the-counter vegetable oils.  How does Wesson stack up against Crisco and so forth?  Also what things am I looking for on the labels that tell me this is the oil to use or more importantly Not Use!

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
Re: Over The Counter Vegetable Oil Preferences
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 05:36:51 AM »
Hi Jens,

OK:

Run straight through a diesel engine.  Either Lister, Kubota tractor or Isuzu NPR truck.

Run blended into diesel for the above three.

Convert to Biodiesel.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 05:12:18 PM »
Stay away from hydrogenated oils.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 06:39:40 PM »
I will say NO! to hydrogenated oils. 

Why?

I was kind of hoping for a website.  But one of the best parts of this website is the education we all enjoy.

Casey

NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 06:57:18 PM »
They are solid at room temp and I've read that they don't react quite as well when making bio-diesel. Also bio-diesel made from non-hydrogenated vo gells at 34F, hydrogenated oils gell at even higher temps.

I have 100 gals of hydrogenated creamy soy fryer oil that I need to process. So far I've found that by mixing it with 15-20% RUG will allow it to be burned ok in the roid.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

sailawayrb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 06:58:33 PM »
There are some good links off of this Wikipedia website that you may find worthwhile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable_oil_used_as_fuel

I use soybean oil preheated to 220F.  I start/shutdown on diesel.

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 07:11:32 PM »
Thanks Sailawayrb,

This is a great link for the beginner with some nice links of it's own.

Casey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable_oil_used_as_fuel
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 11:30:41 PM »

I would have thought that 'over the counter'oil would be expensive. I am getting 48 Litres of used veg oil from a Wok Box restaurant. They dont seem to overuse their oil. It is Canola. They pour it back into the old containers right from the deep fryer.

Lowgear; How do you like your Isuzu NPR Tippertruck? I have a 1991 NKR,used from Japan that had only 208kms on it when I picked it up in Richmond BC in July!

LowGear

• Casey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 01:41:33 AM »
I just sold Beauford (Beautiful + 1981 Ford F250) not 20 minutes ago.  Izzy as he has been named is more truck in many many ways but I still feel somewhat empty to have watched Beauford drift down the drive out into who knows what land after 15 years of truly faithful service.

Izzy is less than a foot longer, around 6 inches wider and gets about the same mileage only on diesel and biodiesel when we're lucky.  Here in Hawaii a fellow can spill a gallon or two of straight clean vegetable oil into a 10 gallon fill up and not notice much of anything.  The dump bed is absolutely fabulous.  The 7X12 flat bed with racks is really handy.  It can carry about three times the cargo by volume as well as by weight.  I put 5+ tons on it once and never again.  4 is probably the limit but 3 is just right for me and my skills.  And our driveway rises 235 feet in 700 feet.

We were doing about 55 last weekend and had a left front blow out.  Holy explicative, death did his dance right there in front of my wife and myself in the on-coming lane as we drifted farther left towards the gosh-darn guard rail (I think I said gosh darn).  I’m sure it’s harder on the rider than the driver.  Joan was at work on her will the next morning.  I’m a far better person now that I understand the “big truck” is not invincible.

I looked at one of the slightly smaller units by Isuzu, Nissan and Toyota but the logistics of getting them here from Japan was kind of overwhelming not to mention the dealer was really only interested in a three truck deal.  This seemed to be every bit as tricky as getting a Lister to Hawaii from Great Britain. 

Do you think you could go back to a standard pick-up.  I would sure hate to.  How have you been doing with your NKR.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator