Author Topic: Lister CS twin in the USA , interesting feature....  (Read 15898 times)

adhall

• View Profile
Re: Lister CS twin in the USA , interesting feature....
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 11:29:52 PM »
My Dad had a screw type log splitter when I was a kid (about 30 years ago, sigh >:(). It was powered by a small Briggs engine through reduction gearing. The screw was about 18" [~46 cm] long and tapered from a fine point to about 3" [~7.6 cm] in diameter with a fine pitch thread on it. It was excruciatingly slow. And we had to use the chain saw to remove the pieces that made it all the way up the screw without splitting.

Best regards,
Andy Hall
JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor

Stan

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 11:43:57 PM »
I looked at buying one of those in 1974 when I built my first house outside of Quesnel in the bush.  It was the kind that bolted onto the rear wheel of a pickup.  I didn't because It looked like an accident waiting to happen.  Swung a maul a whole lot of times in those years without mishap thank goodness.
Stan

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 04:24:05 AM »
I hope that you all do not mind but I'll go ahead and post some pictures of what I have done to build a new thumb device.  Right now it
opposes my ring finger.  That has the greatest movemrnt now but as my middle finger improves, I'll move the thumb to oppose it.

First of all, Happy new year to all my friend here. I hope that you all had a great Christmas and New Year.

When I visited the prosthetic Doctor earlier she mentioned that some patients had made their own devices. That got me thinking and
after rolling around ideas I spent some time with Autocad designing a proof of concept device. A day in the shop prodices my version
1.0 device;

And as you see, it works!

After using the device I learned of some shortcomings. The frame needed a slightly different shape to be able to pull. The straps
needed a D ring to be able to get them tighter. It did not need the swiveling frame joints for yaw, and most important; the joints
would slip when stressed.

I rolled around some ideas and came up with V2.0. It has locking joints with a splined shaft that pushes to release then locks into
place when I release the white plastic button. The fingertip can be changed from a rounded tip that I usually use, to a bevel for
picking up small items. A quick release pin and keyhole arrangement makes that a snap. The straps are better but horribly sewn as
my antique sewing machine would not make the bottom stiches right at all. Fought with that for nearly a day trying to fix it. Never
did. Argh...

This is work in progress and I made a modification to the front frame tonight to use a different strap arrangement that should
be more comfortable.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

mbryner

• View Profile
    • Marcus & Emily's personal website
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 05:13:17 AM »
Very nice prosthetic!   Well made!
JKson/Powersolutions 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane canister muffler, future off-gridder

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1775

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 05:33:38 AM »
Good job Bob

Thanks for the pictures. Your workmanship is outstanding.
If I may ask, how is your wrist strength and articulation?  I have an idea.

Thanks
SteveU.
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 05:52:09 AM »
Well shoot, V.1 works well enough to enjoy an oatmeal stout...  That's a great start!

Amazing! My hat's off to you!

Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 01:23:10 PM »
Good job Bob

Thanks for the pictures. Your workmanship is outstanding.
If I may ask, how is your wrist strength and articulation?  I have an idea.

Thanks
SteveU.

Thanks guys.

Steve,
The range of motion on my wrist is normal in yaw (side to side) but limited in pitch.  My right hand is about 45 degrees up and down.  The left is 15 deg. up and 30 down.  On version 2 I shortened the frame to move with the wrist.  It straps at the joint to take advantage of the smaller diameter there.  I can pull now and the device will not slip off my hand.

I am working to increase the range of motion in my fingers.  The ring finger still is limited and swelling is slowly subsiding.  Therapy is helping and I have been warned to be patient as this is a slow process.

I have placed the "thumb" opposite my ring finger because it currently has the greatest range of motion and strength.  As the middle finger improves, I'll move it over to oppose it, just like a normal hand has the thumb opposite the index finger.

Steve, I would be happy to hear your ideas.  I have been thinking about this for a while but a fresh perspective might change the course of this project. 

Thanks,
Bob  (now known as TFB; Three Finger Bob...HA!)

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
Hi TFB

Your wrist movement sounds useable.  The exact opposite restrictions as I have with my been crushed ankle.
I'll PM the ideas.
I had my nurse wife look at your pictures. She liked the color in your fingers and muttered because she couldn't reach out and do a circulation press check and feel for warm and cold spots on your hand and  fingers. You had a good surgeon to get that good of circulation restored.
Yeah, physical therapy has become much better now with input from the sports field in  the last thirty years.
I'll PM you when the powers back up and I can recharge my laptop.

Best regards
SteveU.

Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

Fairmountvewe

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2009, 12:17:04 AM »
Bob;
      Please accept my sympathies on your misfortunes, and my admiration on your ability to muster up the courage to improve your situation.  You, Sir, are quite simply amazing.

Peter
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, cooperate, solve equations, analyze a new problem, and pitch manure. Specialization is for insects.

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 08:27:37 PM »
I will be more careful.  I will be more careful.  I will be more careful.

Thanks for the heads-up. 

Thanks for a look at courage.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 09:33:29 PM »
Some people have problems, other opportunities. You are the latter. Both step dad and father-in-law have prosthetic legs. My step gets around on his leg so well most people can't tell. One time while around a campfire with new friends Dave started breaking some really big sticks across his prosthetic leg. The onlookers were wincing in pain as Dave would whack a piece of wood across his leg and it would break with a loud crack! Glad you are healing well and tip a cold one for me.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 01:36:08 PM »
Thank you Tom, et. al.

I am slowly getting the range of motion back.  I have heard that it can take upwards of two years.  I stretch and tape, which helps and I need a gizmo that will help stretch to straighten my middle finger.  Another project!

V2.0 has been modified with improved straps (2.1) and moving the base of the thumb attach point further rearward (2.2).  It currently opposed my ring finger because at the time it was the only usable one.  Now that the middle finger is regaining strength an range of motion, I'll make a new spine to offset it to oppose my middle finger.

I have found that I do not use the device too much in the shop but I do when driving, in the house, or out at a store.

I had set a goal to be back in the air piloting my plane by the end of the year.  I made it with two days to spare.  First flight was with a safety pilot and all went well.  I have since flown several missions and it gets easier each time.

You guys be careful out there,

Bob

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 03:34:49 PM »
Bob, i don't know how i missed this thread!

my hopes are with you my friend, and i sincerely wish you a speedy recovery

also this might turn into something that will benefit you and others down the road
there are lots of folks that loose fingers and thumbs and having alternative prosthetics can only be a good thing.

its one thing to have a dr. or an engineer think up and build a workable solution, but quite another to live with
the problem and in the end design a more versatile solution.

you the man living without the use of your thumb, my bet is you will perfect a solution because of the need
to you it is now part of your life,, not just a 9 to 5 job.

maybe you will get a some attention and some big prosthetic company will take notice and buy your solution?

"when life deals you lemons, make lemonaide"

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info