Puppeteer

Author Topic: Big end clearance  (Read 12883 times)

Stan

Re: Big end clearance
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008, 09:43:03 PM »
Yup, 1.9mm is too big.  Next time shave them down and use the shavings.  All you need is something bigger than 0.004" to give you an indication of fit.  If a 0.004" shaving is still 0.004" when you disassemble and check it, you know you've got to much clearance and you have to take shims out.  If it is squished down flatter than 0.004" (or thereabouts) measure it and you'll know how much to shim it.

btw....you can use the lead fishing weight balls to check piston to head clearance.  The head and piston surface is way tougher than your white metal shells and can take the extra omph it takes to squish a lead ball.
Stan

Mucke

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 10:00:08 PM »
Stan,
the point is that I already left the 3 original shims away and still found clearance with the new shells.
I guess it is o.k.now but I just wanted to know.
After the last post I tried the lead in my mouth , squishing  it between the teeth and found it very hard!
That explains the impression into the babbit!
The 1.9 mm would be o.k. if it was soft enough. One learnes every day !
Rolf

Mucke

• View Profile
photo gallery
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 10:29:46 PM »
Wow!!
I managed to eat through the jungle of footsteps.
See pics of squish (with my dirty hands..) on:
http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=402

Rolf

12 gauge

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 02:37:19 AM »
I took the advice of oliver90owner for big end clearance and have good results with it.  Specificaly, removed shims untill bearing just became tight then added one shim .001".  The bearing turns freely and no noticable slack or movement.  The nip clearance was also adjusted to specs.  It's running quiet and cool at about 75 hours. 

Mucke

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 12:21:38 PM »

There is nothing like finishing the year with a success!
 Even if it is a small one:
 The old 'oid is up and running again!
Late at night on new years eve I finally managed to find the lost timing  and now:
 Thump, thump, thump
 thanks to John's shells and Dave's dippers the 12/1 sounds like new again.

If '09 begins like '08 ends all will be fine.

Happy new year to all,

Rolf

matt

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2009, 12:15:36 PM »
Should I be worried about this?

Yes.

Movement at the small end will be magnifying the clearance to the small end but 'a few mm' means little to me.  Need a definitive check on that clearance.

Regards, RAB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matt....I agree with Richard, it is NOT GOOD for a big end bearing to have any noticeable movement.  Goto your local autoparts store (FLAPS, friendly auto parts store) and buy some plastigauge, it's cheap, easy to use and gives fairly accurate readings where nothing else can work.
Stan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matt
How thick are your shims? If they are Indian shims then they could be way to thick.Shims can be made out of any old beer or coke can.
Take the shims out and torque up.If its tight then add one shim and try again.Keep adding shims evenly to both sides untill the rod moves without binding.

Thanks guys for the info.
I will do as you have all advised and fix this problem ASAP.

regards,
matt