Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister CS Plates (Drawing & Part names)  (Read 13289 times)

dubbleUJay

• Lister AK,CS,D,G1,LR1
    • View Profile
    • dubbleUJay on Lister Engine Gallery
Lister CS Plates (Drawing & Part names)
« on: December 21, 2008, 08:48:11 AM »
Hi Guys,

This is my first post to this forum although I was lurking for some time.  ::)
I acquired a set of scanned copies of the Lister CS 6/1 manual a while back, but the prints were so bad, I basically almost redrew them on my PC!  ;)
One thing let to another and I ended up putting the Plates & Descriptions in a PDF document.
I thought I'll share it, maybe it will come in handy to someone in the future. There might be some discrepancies in it though, it took a lot of OCR and copy/paste work for the descriptions, let me know if you find any and I will correct it.

Here's a download link to it, its under a Meg (820Kb) in PDF format, if anyone is interested:

http://stashbox.org/333292/Lister%20CS%20Plates.pdf

:) ;) :D Posted by dubbleUJay[/b]from South Africa!! >:( :( :o

Using: Lister CS 6/1 Gen-Set
Restored: Lister AK,D,G1,LR1

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
Re: Lister CS Plates (Drawing & Part names)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 09:31:03 AM »
Love the colour tinting !! Nice job and good to have you with us.
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 11:45:25 AM »
WalkTall,

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Now then your plates.  Actually i like the old ones better as they look a little dirty, used and very old. ;D  A bit like me, some might say!!

Putting them on here for cheap proof reading is a master stroke. :)

Well actually they are a wiz.  They would appeal to the younger generation (who might think these engines are really modern).  Well done.  We are now expecting the complete works up for proof reading, so we can all have a new fresh copy.

As an aside.  Just beware that you will probably soon see your work and industry on the net elsewhere - probably on sale on epay, with someone claiming it was all their own work!!

Again, welcome and well done.

Regards, RAB

glastry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 02:17:03 PM »
No reservations here mate,thanks for posting,as far as i am concerned anything that makes the drawings easier to see is OK by me.
thank you

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 02:20:04 PM »
Walk Tall
Absolute GREAT WORK , and I agree with oliver90owner if i were you i would some how put a diagonal  watermark on  your work so others cannot steel it for there own. That way even though you wouldn't get payed when they steel it at least it can be proven it is not there work.  I suppose the original was property of Lister, does anyone here know if it is copyright protected? And yes you can bet it will go on ebay , I bought a copy of an instruction book there and what i have seen of yours it is much improved!!!

After a second look I see you have signed one page but it would be so easily covered up and you get no credit. You are a credit to this forum don't put up more work without some watermark! Or at least that is how I see it, anyone disagree!!

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

dubbleUJay

• Lister AK,CS,D,G1,LR1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 03:15:04 PM »
Thanks for all the positive input Guys!

I thought about the watermark & eBay thingy, but I hate it when I print something out and there is a big watermark on it.
It seems to just spoil the overall picture if one wants to put it on a wall as a display!  ;)

Obviously I have the originals which are at 2600x1800 pixels resolution, I had to make it smaller and more accessible (down loadable), so I converted it to a PDF document. They might appear a bit blurry if you zoom in a bit.

If you guys proofread it, I'll make a new copy and will try to distribute it to as many places on the Net as I can, maybe it will create a hit on search engines before "ePay"  ;D

If you have any suggestions as to stuff to add to it, I'm always open to suggestions.

olivier90owner said:
"Actually i like the old ones better as they look a little dirty, used and very old. Grin  A bit like me, some might say!"

Do you know how I battled to get the greasy fingerprints of the original scans ??
I can just imagine how my Grandfather pointed at the Idler Gear Pinion to show my Grandmother why the lights won't work tonight!  ::)

Enjoy,

Stan

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 04:00:06 PM »
Nice job "walk".   I see you're from S. Africa, you should have lots of original Listers in your part of the world.  Actually if you look at the old books that show pics and descriptions of the Dursley operation in England, there were bzillions of Listers made and shipped off to all parts of the world.  Remember that was day when the "sun never set on the British Empire"!  I imagine there are lots still sitting in barns and sheds all over the world just waiting to be "cleaned up" and discovered.

Do you own or lust to own a Lister?  (obviously you are interested!)   What have you discovered are the most common Listers in your part of the world?
Stan

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 04:11:06 PM »
Doesn't copyright eventually expire with time like patents ?
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

dubbleUJay

• Lister AK,CS,D,G1,LR1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 06:32:44 PM »
I imagine there are lots still sitting in barns and sheds all over the world just waiting to be "cleaned up" and discovered.

Do you own or lust to own a Lister?  (obviously you are interested!)   What have you discovered are the most common Listers in your part of the world?
Stan

Hi Stan,
I do have an original Lister 6/1 I buildup from scratch with various parts I found all over and I'm busy connecting it to an alternator to power my house. I posted some questions about my alternator elsewhere and everything should be up and running soon. I'll also post some pics later when I'm finished.

From what I've seen, we have mostly original Listers laying around on farms. A lot of them connected to 36VDC generator and battery bank, must have been a South African thing I think.

Nowadays, the farmers that "knows" swear by them for water pumping in remote areas.
They are getting scarce and people did not even want to get rid of some of them lying outside in the weather, but when the metal prices skyrocketed recently, I saw that the same people selling them for scrap!
I nearly S*T myself, unbelievable! I offered them more than they got from the scrap dealers in the first place!
Anyway, that's people for you, never a dull moment  ???

I've seen a couple of dealers starting to import the clones, but my Nation (or the farmers anyway, totally my own opinion, I farm myself) is very weary of imitations in some respects and I believe they are not getting sold.
If only my fellow citizens would look at all the info on the Net, I believe the Americans already did all the homework on the Listeroids  ;)

Nice chatting to you.

Stan

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 07:15:48 PM »
Yup, I found mine sitting out in a field just down the road.  I've been puttering around doing this and that on it for a year now, not in a big hurry.  The original purpose was to provide backup power generation in case the locally produced hydro power (we have a mid sized dam just a few miles away and the part of Canada I live in, British Columbia, has mainly hydro generated power) hardly ever goes down,  it hasn't in the last few years for more than a few minutes.  So, restoring the Lister has become a labour of love and there's no hurry when love is involved.  ;D

I"m convinced there are lots of them just sitting around, not being used.  I'm kind of thinking of putting an ad in our local paper searching them out just to see if people are willing to part with them.  Maybe they have already sold them to the recyclers, that's where mine was headed.  The guy had been promised $40 for the metal and when I offered him $100 he thought he'd died and gone to heaven.  Everything was there including fuel tank, radiator etc.  I'm still looking for an SOM base, and and an original 2.7kw generator with the motor windings so I can do the electric start thing.

Let me know what you are doing in the way of restoration with yours, maybe we can compare notes.
Stan

dubbleUJay

• Lister AK,CS,D,G1,LR1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 04:34:59 AM »

Let me know what you are doing in the way of restoration with yours, maybe we can compare notes.
Stan

Hello Stan,

I started of with just a block, crank & flywheels! Luckily a friend of mine worked at a place which use to repair these and I manage to get brand new piston, ring, bearings exec. from him.
All the most important inner parts and I've been told that it's just about brand new now!
I hunted allover for an idler gear, even tried to get one from India, but eventually I found a shop in a small town over here with a lot of spares.
The cylinder head are kind of stuffed, corrosion got the better of it and there was a hole from the water jacket to the injector tube, but we managed to fit an aluminum sleeve into it.
Someone ignorant also tried to drill out the compression ratio valve and I cannot get it out without risking further damage. I'll be looking for another head, but in the meantime this one will work.
The engine runs perfectly and I'm now in the process of connecting a generator to it. I found an old one from a Ruston & Hornsby setup.
Its a 220VAC & 24VDC alternator of 3kW at 50Hz. I'm having trouble getting it to work, but some guys on another forum are helping me out.
It says on the name plate it was made by Anderson Generator Mnf in Johannesburg, South Africa, but I think they were the original inventors of re-branding in ZA  ;)
My goal in the end is to automate it when the power goes out and also to run it on WVO. I use to work in an electro-mechanical environment and I'm sure I'm up to the task  ::)

I'll happily exchange notes with you if I can help, have a nice day.

Stan

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 05:12:04 AM »
Sounds good.  That was the accepted procedure of removing the inner section of the compression relief valve if it wouldn't come out for cleaning.  Take out the outer part, then drill and tap the inner part and draw it out with a threaded rod.  It ruined it of course and you have to replace it, but they were available in those days.

Hope you can find a new head, I understand the original style 7 bolt head is available from India these days, don't know what the quality is like though.
Stan

dubbleUJay

• Lister AK,CS,D,G1,LR1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 05:44:28 AM »

Sounds good.  That was the accepted procedure of removing the inner section of the compression relief valve if it wouldn't come out for cleaning.  Take out the outer part, then drill and tap the inner part and draw it out with a threaded rod.  It ruined it of course and you have to replace it, but they were available in those days.

Hope you can find a new head, I understand the original style 7 bolt head is available from India these days, don't know what the quality is like though.
Stan

Yes, I understand, but I'm sure they weren't suppose to drill the tapped thread right through into the combustion chamber  :o
Whoever did it, upon realizing they made a stuff up, then proceeded to block the hole with a bolt that pushes against a blanking plug that screw into the place of the rest of the valve assembly.

I'm sure you know about this, but one of your fellow Americans (oldstylelisters.com) seems to have perfected the Indian Listeroids with his mods. It makes sense to me what he does to them and I would do the same if I get an Indian head.

While I think of it, just a painting hint:
We have stuff over here called EndRust from Polycell, a rust converter, converts the ferric oxide back to a blueish metal and you can spray directly over it. I've got an attachment for my high pressure water cleaner to do "wet" sand blasting. Luckily I stay about 5km from the sea ;-)
I leave the bare iron to collect a little surface rust after cleaning, lightly wipe it off and then put this stuff on. It works great for me.

Stan

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 05:53:21 AM »
Yup, we've got the same stuff here.  I then paint it with POR 15, which dries not by evaporation, but by a chemical process involving moisture.  Good hard coating.  I didn't use that for "Penelope" (my 6/1) though, I just went down to the local hardware store and bought a pint of plain brunswick green machinery enamel paint.  I figure I'll be needing to "touch up" various parts and want to be able to match the rest of her.

Stan

btw...I'm not American, I'm Canadian, in a small town named after one in your country

dubbleUJay

• Lister AK,CS,D,G1,LR1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 10:25:02 AM »
btw...I'm not American, I'm Canadian, in a small town named after one in your country

Sorry about that, its so easy to make a mistake if you've never been to USA or Canada  ;)
At first glance at your very first post I actually thought your from Kimberley in ZA where the "Big Hole" is, its quite a well known town over here. The hole is full of water now and I'm sure there might be some Listers laying at the bottom!