Puppeteer

Author Topic: TRB Crank HELP  (Read 25242 times)

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: TRB Crank HELP
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 05:13:18 PM »
May I ask why you are trying to convert a genuine Lister to trb's?
Stan

Judging by previous posts it appears to be a cost based decision.

cheers
Nobby

In the sense that fitting your car with disk brake rotors made out of chocolate is a "cost based decision" then yes, you are right.

In the sense that the OP is clearly too stupid to ever be allowed near anything even remotely mechanical then no, not really.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 05:29:41 PM »
I see it as fitting an old drum brake car with disk brakes. With TRB mains if the oil pump fails the engine well keep going and never notice. IIRC this is going to be a working engine not for show.

Guy, I would appreciate it if you would please refrain from making personal attacks and insults on other posters.

Merry Christmas!
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 05:57:57 PM »
I see it as fitting an old drum brake car with disk brakes. With TRB mains if the oil pump fails the engine well keep going and never notice. IIRC this is going to be a working engine not for show.

Guy, I would appreciate it if you would please refrain from making personal attacks and insults on other posters.

Merry Christmas!

It isn't a personal attack to tell someone planning on doing something incredibly bloody stupid that the thing that they are planning on doing is so incredibly bloody stupid that it redefines the limits of what is incredibly bloody stupid.

it isn't a case of what this guy is trying to do being wrong, from one perspective..... , there simply is not a single perspective, and this takes real talent, from which the thing he is intent on doing is anything but wrong.

personal attacks???

trust me, I am being MANFULLY.....  restrained here...

I dunno, maybe the world would be a better place if we as a society were less afraid to tell people they were being fucking stupid before said people embarked upon a task which, quelle surprise, didn't actually turn out like it was supposed to according to the big idea at the beginning.

read thss

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article5360183.ece

--
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.

nobby

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 06:13:51 PM »

In the sense that fitting your car with disk brake rotors made out of chocolate is a "cost based decision" then yes, you are right.

In the sense that the OP is clearly too stupid to ever be allowed near anything even remotely mechanical then no, not really.

Wow quite the response there.  Bottom line its a lump of iron and you do what ya gotta do.  Not worth making personal remarks about people that you no doubt have never met. 
Are you also suggesting that Manufacturers who have used TRB's on mains etc with good results are as stupid too?

OK just read your post that you responded whilst I am writing this one.  Here is another thought.

Instead of making a personal remark without any real justification.  Why not be a MAN and respond with a well reasoned informative post as to why you feel he is being stupid in his choice.  Perhaps then you may well achieve your supposedly well meant goal of pointing him in the right direction.  All you have achieved in your first post is to piss him and others off.

Its real easy to call someone stupid because you mechanically disagree with his choice but offer no explanation as to why.  That in itself to use your terminology is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

cheers
Nobby
2 x Lister CE's
Looking for a CD

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 06:56:06 PM »
see, that's the trouble.

now we not only have one complete bloody idiot scratching his head wondering why his listeroid TRB crankshaft isn't "plug-and-play" in a genuine dursley lister, we have another complete bloody idiot accusing me of not being a man for not bothering to explain in excruciating details to the first complete bloody idiot exactly why he is a complete bloody idiot.

the link to the newspaper story about the other bloody idiot who just killed 3 out of his 7 children is of course, simply ignored, because in true complete bloody idiot fashion it is a well know truism that you can ignore the actual facts and concentrate on branding your opponent as an arrogant baby murdering nazi you can win the day.

life's too short
--

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 08:03:35 PM »
If you are new on this forum do a search of the pisser offer......his post generaly land smack in the middle of the disscusion pretty much like you see. As to modifiying the sacred "genuine dursley lister" AKA  grafting a sows ear to a silk purse...you gotta do what you gotta do...So I guess I fall in the catagory of the "In the sense that the OP is clearly too stupid to ever be allowed near anything even remotely mechanical " . Some folks are clearly too stupid to ever be allowed near the internet!            Have fun here guys....... and good luck on your upgrade tigger!
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 08:23:55 PM »
yeah yeah, make it all about fawkes being a nasty potty mouth

don't even talk about the man killing his own children for doing something EXACTLY on a par with this thread, oh no...

not just stupid, stupid can be taught, you lot give assholes a bad name.
--

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2008, 09:25:39 PM »
Ok I read the article. Driving a vehicle with bad brakes is stupid. To bad his stupidity didn't kill him instead of his kids. So how is switching to TRB's going to kill his kids?

Always remember ignorance has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Stan

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2008, 09:56:56 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D  Tigger, I am not trying to impune you or anyone elses judgement here, I just asked in a genuine curious sort of way why you want to convert a dursley lister to trbs!  Is it that someone told you they would be more reliable?  Or is it some other reason? 

Just asking.  and still waiting for an answer.  I promise I won't be judgemental.  I will however, try and point out why it might not be a good idea, after due consideration of your answer, cause maybe you have a good reason for doing it.  I won't know however unless you answer my question.

btw...here's a hint.  If you want to survive long on this forum, and benfit from the immense amount of experience and knowledge on it, you will have to get along with everyone, even guyfawkes.  Just like in real life.  Believe it or not, I had a boss for 20 years that made Guyfawkes look like a pussycat.  ::)  As a matter of fact, I would have given a month's salary to observe the two of them discussing anything at a party.  :o
Stan

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 10:17:56 PM »
A chocolate fireguard?  Sweet!
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Stan

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 10:19:44 PM »
Boooo   :P :P :P
Stan

nobby

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 10:21:54 PM »
see, that's the trouble.

now we not only have one complete bloody idiot scratching his head wondering why his listeroid TRB crankshaft isn't "plug-and-play" in a genuine dursley lister, we have another complete bloody idiot accusing me of not being a man for not bothering to explain in excruciating details to the first complete bloody idiot exactly why he is a complete bloody idiot.

the link to the newspaper story about the other bloody idiot who just killed 3 out of his 7 children is of course, simply ignored, because in true complete bloody idiot fashion it is a well know truism that you can ignore the actual facts and concentrate on branding your opponent as an arrogant baby murdering nazi you can win the day.

life's too short

Now that's funny your calling me a bloody idiot now LOL.  Did you even bother to read this thread fully?  You may want to note that I posted on page one that 'this would not be a direct bolt up anyway' and explained he would have to shim etc.  I did not use the same terms as you I.e plug and play but my inference was the same.

Now as to your newspaper article I did read it actually unlike as it appears you in reading this whole thread.  After reading it I made the assumption from that and your post that you hate to see people do stupid stuff and sadly sometimes kill people, a noble cause.  I then merely respectfully suggested that to further your noble cause you take the time to inform him why he his being stupid.  To not do that does not in anyway help that person from being stupid.

If say for example someone informed you that they intended to fit their front disc brakes with one disc bigger than the other do you honestly believe that only calling them stupid or idiot and nothing more than that would suffice.  That they would then follow you blindly based on personal slurs alone.  Furthermore if you did not bother to take the time and explain to them why then seems to me that you then became an enabler towards the alleged crime yourself.

To blindly follow someone based on their insults only seems equally as stupid to me and a smart person would hopefully respond 'oh really and why exactly is that.'  But then again what do I know, I'm just a bloody idiot.

I on my behalf was not asking you to explain yourself but what the f..k, in for a penny and all that.  Other than it not being plug and play and require shimming and carefull fitment just why exactly is it bloody stupid to install TRB's?  You never know as a bloody idiot I might learn something.

Cheers
Nobby

2 x Lister CE's
Looking for a CD

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 10:40:58 PM »
In his inimitable fashion, Forks has put his view quite bluntly.

I was going to suggest that the original post was in the wrong section as it was patently no longer an original Lister.

Not sure what the problem is but one thing it is not, is 4mm on one side.

For a start that may well be enough to scrap the crank and bearing in short order (along with the rod and piston?).  I said 'may well be'.  Not even going to bother to enquire how the crank alignment is with the new bearing housings.  They are presumably Indian original.  At least the original housings were spec'ed properly.

I have in the past swapped numerous parts in Ford engines, some of which pushed up the power and some which were a bit marginal.  We had fun making them go much faster (yes, we replaced the drum brakes with discs and added servo's, etc to maintain good stopping power - much superior to Ford 'standard' in those days!).  

Now swapping a standard lister crank for TRBs may be regarded as an upgrade by some.  Frankly, I feel it unnecesary as the originals worked well for many a year on the plain bearings.  The oil pump is so unstressed that failure is remote and the plain bearing contact length is probably better designed than that for the TRBs - especially if the materials in the TRB cranks are inferior to the originals. Also, for all we know electric flywheeels are going to be fitted seriously out-board, who knows?  I certainly don't want to!

If I were to contemplate doing that change I would certainly have checked the dimensions before even ordering parts.  Something smacks here of inexperience, perhaps incompetence, I don't know.  For the extra 50 quid or so a proper repair, to original specs, could have been achieved. Now he will finish up with an 'oid worth at least 50 quid less, and probably a lot more less.

fitting an old drum brake car with disk brakes

And for what gain? A very few Watts?

By the way, if the pump fails the big end will shortly be scrap anyway, as oil will be drained to the lower sump in short order so that argument does not make a great deal of difference, as I see it.

Regards, RAB

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 10:55:18 PM »

Now that's funny your calling me a bloody idiot now LOL.  Did you even bother to read this thread fully?  You may want to note that I posted on page one that 'this would not be a direct bolt up anyway' and explained he would have to shim etc.  I did not use the same terms as you I.e plug and play but my inference was the same.

Oh excuse me, you decided to throw in some technical buzzwords, as though this in some way altered the physical challenges involved, and now you're upset because you get called on it.

Now as to your newspaper article I did read it actually unlike as it appears you in reading this whole thread.  After reading it I made the assumption from that and your post that you hate to see people do stupid stuff and sadly sometimes kill people, a noble cause.  I then merely respectfully suggested that to further your noble cause you take the time to inform him why he his being stupid.  To not do that does not in anyway help that person from being stupid

see, you don't even begin to understand me

I have never yet seen one of these "accidents" where the "guilty party" was not in one form or another "encouraged" by a bunch of equally stupid bastards saying what they think sound like technically competent things like "you may have to shim it dude" because basically none of these "chorus of fools" is ever anywhere to be seen when they chips fall.

you think the stupid bastard who killed his own kids was 100% responsible for the state of that vehicle do you? not just legally, but morally?

If say for example someone informed you that they intended to fit their front disc brakes with one disc bigger than the other do you honestly believe that only calling them stupid or idiot and nothing more than that would suffice.  That they would then follow you blindly based on personal slurs alone.  Furthermore if you did not bother to take the time and explain to them why then seems to me that you then became an enabler towards the alleged crime yourself.

Telling them they are a stupid bastard may or may not have an effect, at the time, on that person, what it REALLY does is nail something to the mast where everyone can see it, and later, WHEN someone gets maimed or killed (go on, ask me how many times I have been there in my short time on this planet) those responsible are unable to act innocent in my presence...

...so of course it soon becomes a personality issue and it is all my fault for being an arrogant bastard.

the assholes of this world are blameless...

To blindly follow someone based on their insults only seems equally as stupid to me and a smart person would hopefully respond 'oh really and why exactly is that.'  But then again what do I know, I'm just a bloody idiot.

oh, but to blindly follow someone based on their technobabble bullshit (you might have to shim that dude) is somehow incredibly intelligent huh...... yeah....

I on my behalf was not asking you to explain yourself but what the f..k, in for a penny and all that.  Other than it not being plug and play and require shimming and carefull fitment just why exactly is it bloody stupid to install TRB's?  You never know as a bloody idiot I might learn something.

Cheers
Nobby

see, you can ask such a stupid question of an engineer and yet stand there and actually expect him to respect you and somehow answer you in words that you don't understand because you aren't interested in learning anything, and blah blah blah.

dude, I'm not here to make you feel good about yourself, I'm not here to give you the confidence to pick up that DIY magazine and fuck up your car, and I'm certainly not here to offer you free excuses about staying ignorant because no-one will teach you despite the fact that you demonstrate no problem with believing in a free lunch.

here are two of the dead children

and here are two more

and now I ask you, does this look like the face of a man (taken as he walked in to court) who thinks he has even one shred of blame?
--

Stan

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2008, 12:09:09 AM »
DANGER, SERIOUSLY OFF LISTER TOPIC go ahead and kill it if you want Andrew.

As I live in a "remote" region despite being in a small town, offroading is a favourite sport around here as well as something called "mud bogging".  That's where you find a wetland, ideally containing one or preferrably more endangered species of frog or bird or whatever and then driving large pickups jacked up as much as 18" or more with humungous cleated tires on them back and forth until everybody has broken down or the wetland is irreparably destroyed.

These young men (exclusively) also drive these incredibly altered vehicles around town and no one does anything about them.  They couldn't pass even the most rudimentary safety test, and are driven mostly with straight pipes coming directly up from the exhaust manifolds so they are incredibly loud.  The police however are so understaffed, and so bogged down with paperwork (75% of their time has to be spent sitting in front of computers doing up reports) that they cannot possibly persue these malcontents.

Sorry, rant after reading about this twit in England.
stan