Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister SR3 Genset Stamford 12.5 KVA  (Read 7109 times)

Whimpster

• View Profile
Lister SR3 Genset Stamford 12.5 KVA
« on: December 07, 2008, 04:42:19 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to the site but it's been a great help in setting up my lister just wish there was more info on SR3 models.
This lister SR3 with Stamford 12.5 KVA came out of a lighthouse here in Nova Scotia Canada.
It was used for Backup power so it ran very little, maybe a 100 hrs on it!
I'm setting this up for my home backup power and want to know how big of a breaker panel do I need and how many circuits can I use?
The tag on the Stamford generator shows 52 amps?
I took a voltage reading of the generator head and it reads 240V.
Engine runs at 1800 rpm

PS. I'm also looking for a oil dipstick for SR3 model and oil pump base screen...if anyone can help.
Oh can someone also help with what type of oil filter do I need for SR3...It's has an metal canister on the side of the engine but no filter in it....think it said purolater on the top of canister?

I do have a original Instruction Book for LR and SR 1-2-3 cylinders and a parts list book for the same.

Any help would be great...Thanks.

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Re: Lister SR3 Genset Stamford 12.5 KVA
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 09:37:42 PM »
Your breaker panel should be a double pole, break before make, change over switch of the mains rating, so that you can change safely from either grid input or generator input with no chance of both at the same time, or of feeding mains into your genset (genset may not like that), or genset output into the grid (linesmen do not like that :)). 

Not an electrician, so not sure of your earthing requirements.

If your mains fuse is less than your genset max current you would need a similar fuse or breaker on your genset side so you do not overload any circuit (from your change over switch, and wiring  to your consumer unit).

There may be other regs to follow as well.

You can use as much power as your mains supplies, in any of the circuits serviced (up to their individual rating).  Any extra to that may need increased wire cross sectional area for safety.

Hope this helps for starters.

Regards, RAB

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 10:48:02 PM »
Whimpster,

BTW welcome to the site.

Re - the oil filter,

That seems, from the operating manual page 4 and page 20 (mine is a 1971 issue), to have been an optional feature.  Sounds as though it could be a purolator cross reference for replacement.  A good supplier will know the correct one to fit.  You may need some extra parts if one was never fitted.

just wish there was more info on SR3 models

What more info do you need than the parts book and instruction book?  Lister were usually pretty good for all the required information for successfully running thie engines.  Just park any more questions here and they will probably get a response.

Dipstick

Any one long enough from a similar engine will do.  Fill sump with the correct amount of oil and check the mark on the stick.  Make a new mark if  existing mark is incorrect.

Base screen

Can't help with that one.

Regards, RAB

nobby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 12:08:12 AM »
As RAB said you will need a transfer switch to ensure that there is no clash between mains and generator supply.  Cannot really comment as to specifics as I am not familiar with the codes for your area.  Sounds like from your level of knowledge on this that you need to consult with a local sparky in your area.  Whereabouts in NS are you I have some sparky contacts in the Lunenberg area that I could forward to you (good people).
As to how many circuits no real limit to the amount just a limit on how much power they can collectively draw which in your case is 52 amps.

Filter #ers according to my WIX catalogue the SR series takes a Cartridge 51184.  The bigger listers took a 51343 in the purolater canister style but it makes no sense that it would be one of those.

As to SR parts,  When I was working out of Lunenberg there was'nt much Lister supply wise in Nova Scotia, some of my old contacts no longer work here is one:
http://www.dieselproducts.com/

I usually went either Stateside to RA Mitchell
http://www.ramitchell.com/
Or back to the UK this was in my experience quicker and more cost effective in the long run.

Cheers
Nobby

2 x Lister CE's
Looking for a CD

Whimpster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 02:09:01 AM »
Thankyou all for info.... gives me a place to start

Oh I'm in Yarmouth :)

adhall

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 02:34:23 AM »
Whimpster:
Here is a link to a device you install on an existing circuit breaker panel to provide the function of a (manually operated) transfer switch:

http://www.interlockkit.com/index.htm

The device is UL listed--I don't know if your local electrical inspector will accept that or not.

Best regards,
Andy Hall
JKSon 6/1, 5 kW ST Head, 1992 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9L Turbodiesel, 2001 VW TDI 1.9L Turbodiesel, 2006 Jeep CRD Turbodiesel, Yanmar FX22D Diesel Tractor