Puppeteer

Author Topic: Use of Plastigauge  (Read 24354 times)

Eadie McCreadie

• View Profile
Re: Use of Plastigauge
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2008, 12:14:46 PM »
Gentlemen, not sure where to put this update, but this is as good as any the way I feel!

I think you know that the big end exploded when the engine ran dry in the dipper sump.  It was not known why this happened, until now, I believe.

Remember that the piston was all gummed up and the rings were solid in their grooves?

Right, so I got the engine back together, and it fired first time yesterday.  Great!  Ran only for five minutes then retired.

Started the engine again this morning.  Ran for about an hour, and basically stood there watching and listening.  Nothing that exciting.

Then I remembered what someone on here said about maybe poor and porous castings might potentially let oil out.

So I took a closer look at the area below the engine - a nice little puddle of black................OIL!

Killed the engine straight away.

BUT, what did I find?  A loose cam shaft end cover, that's what, with oil streaming down the outside of the casing.  Oh dear, was this the thign that caused my loss of oil?

I cleaned everthing up , AGAIN!, and re-started, and no sign of oil in that place.

I'll be keeping an eye on this, but it could well be the cause of the problem.

I think perhaps the gummed up rings was a red herring.  I don't suppose it should be happening, but it may well have nothing to do with the big end packing up.

Thanks for everyone's help on this subject.

Tim Eadie Mc.
6/1 oid.

1958steveflying

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2008, 04:55:56 PM »
Hi Tim. It sounds like you a talking about the camshaft rear cover, if you are that as i see it is not supposed to be an oil tight area. My original lister certainly is not, (no seal of any kind at the camshaft either end actually) As i mentioned in the other post about oil level i think your issue may well be positive and not negative crankcase pressure. And reading your description here i am almost certain that is the issue now. Hopefully you will find the breather is not working as a one way valve. (It should allow air out but not back in) for this system to work, any major air leaks into the engine will reduce the amount of negative pressure and allow oil to come out from camshaft ends and put the crank seals to a harder test also.

Steve

Eadie McCreadie

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2008, 05:26:50 PM »
Then it's a definite to check the breather.

Thanks Steve.

|Tim
6/1 oid.

matt

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2008, 10:27:33 PM »
Hi Tim. It sounds like you a talking about the camshaft rear cover, if you are that as i see it is not supposed to be an oil tight area. My original lister certainly is not, (no seal of any kind at the camshaft either end actually) As i mentioned in the other post about oil level i think your issue may well be positive and not negative crankcase pressure. And reading your description here i am almost certain that is the issue now. Hopefully you will find the breather is not working as a one way valve. (It should allow air out but not back in) for this system to work, any major air leaks into the engine will reduce the amount of negative pressure and allow oil to come out from camshaft ends and put the crank seals to a harder test also.

Steve

Really? Steve, maybe I misunderstand your description.

My Listeroid has a gasket for the cam covers at both ends. (govener end and the other end)
Underneath the cover (non govener end) there is a hole in the bottom of the area for excess oil from the camshaft to dribble back into the crankcase.

Yes the camshaft itself does stick out a few mm at the govener end, but the housings on both ends have gaskets.

I checked my original Lister CS manual printed in 1971 and there it is documented exactly the same in the exploded parts graphic.

So having a faulty or loose gasket in this area may indeed cause oil leaks. ;)

Matt

1958steveflying

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2008, 10:51:51 AM »

Steve

Really? Steve, maybe I misunderstand your description.

My Listeroid has a gasket for the cam covers at both ends. (govener end and the other end)
Underneath the cover (non govener end) there is a hole in the bottom of the area for excess oil from the camshaft to dribble back into the crankcase.

Yes the camshaft itself does stick out a few mm at the govener end, but the housings on both ends have gaskets.

I checked my original Lister CS manual printed in 1971 and there it is documented exactly the same in the exploded parts graphic.

So having a faulty or loose gasket in this area may indeed cause oil leaks. ;)

Matt

Tim i guess this is either an Indian upgrade or maybe later than mine (1955) original listers also could have had the mod. My rear cover would not hold oil the way its made (it does have a gasket though) and there is no hole in the casting to let oil back into the engine, so if it leaked by the camshaft bush then it would have to fill halfway before any could get back.(I have just double checked my engine,no leak back hole)

Steve