Puppeteer

Author Topic: My first Lister up and running  (Read 13123 times)

77st1

• View Profile
My first Lister up and running
« on: November 02, 2008, 11:08:40 AM »
     Hey Guys.Mark Rose here in Nova Scotia again.Turns out that all my stuck engine needed was a little oil and patience to get her unstuck. After changing the oil and fuel filter and getting good fuel hooked up she started with little trouble.
                 After sitting for at least eight years since it has been run I imagine things have gotten quite dried up. That I figure was the reason that the head  gasket was drooling a little engine oil. As I ran the engine some more the leakage seemed to slow down significantly. Is this something to be expected from an engine like this that has sat around for a while?
                 I'll search your archives and try to find the head torque specs for the st1. Wouldn't hurt to double check the torque.
                      Thanks for your interest.....Mark

Don Denning

• View Profile
Re: My first Lister up and running
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 03:16:14 AM »
Hi Mark,

Hope you received the email but if you didn't, the torque spec. is 50 ft lbs for the head nuts.

I have the all of the manuals for the ST1.

Regards,

Don

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 12:40:13 AM »
77st1

Where did you manage to find a Lister in Nova Scotia?
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.

77st1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 08:36:37 AM »
 Thanks Don.I did get your email. This engine was a back up circulator pump unit in a lobster pound.there used to be lots of listers used in the fishing industry as power units on boats or for lighthouses...
           Don.You said you only had 10 hours running time on your engine.How old is that engine? Sounds like quite a find...Mark

Don Denning

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 01:10:42 AM »

Thanks Don.I did get your email. This engine was a back up circulator pump unit in a lobster pound.there used to be lots of listers used in the fishing industry as power units on boats or for lighthouses...
 Don.You said you only had 10 hours running time on your engine.How old is that engine? Sounds like quite a find...Mark
The engine was bought to replace a failed engine to drive a water pump which failed.  This engine was mfg. in 1979. The pump was for dewatering barges. I bought it for $125 about 20 years ago, guess they were tired of fixing the system. Also have an HR3 which was free, it needs a top overhaul which I'm doing now.

The film canister thingy is used to pump oil into the intake manifold when the temp. drops below -10C.  To quote the operating manual:

Cold Starting Below -- 10C (14F)

A cup and plunger is fitted on the combustion air intake port. To operate, withdraw the plunger and fill one third of the cup with the same type of lubricating oil as used in the engine. Replace the plunger and inject the oil just before starting. The device must not be used more than 3 times in succession. The engine should be turned 20 revolutions with the fuel on after injecting the oil before attempting to start.

Another thing to do for cold weather starting is pull out the engine control and turn it CCW to an almost vertical position (1 o'clock). It returns to run on start. This gives it extra fuel.

If you list the engine no., I can look up the other information too.

Don

roverjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 01:44:50 AM »
Don, Is there any chance of getting a copy of your ST manuals also? I just picked up a 7.3 @1800 ST direct driving a Libby gen head. I got it to fire tonight on WD-40 so the next step is getting the fuel system up and running and having real instructions that might tell me how to shut the thing down would be very handy. I'll try emailing you directly.
Thanks, John...

Don Denning

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 02:20:11 AM »
One thing which should not be overlooked, that is the hand starting handle has a pin which can be rotated 180 deg. It will never start if this is the case due to rotating backwards. Note the extended shaft is the end of the cam, not the crank. I learned this the hard way.

Don

77st1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 11:56:30 PM »
Hey there Don.Sounds like the same kind of life my engine had.Very little use.
              I went to the barn to check my serial number.Here it is :
                                       6665ST12703
        I'm planning to buy a 4 pole,1800 rpm st gen head to put on it.Should be a good combination.
              Are there any good second hand gen heads around?  Would prefer a minimum 5 KW to a maximum of 10 KW.
Would prefer to go a little oversize if I happen to land a larger engine... Thanks, Mark

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 07:56:17 AM »
Are there any good second hand gen heads around?  Would prefer a minimum 5 KW to a maximum of 10 KW.

Yes, there are always duff gen sets to be had at Cambridge monthly sales.  You just have to know what you are loking for and decide if the engine or genny is shot.  And be prepared to repair - just reflected in your bid.

if I happen to land a larger engine...

Same applies as above.

Regards, RAB

Don Denning

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 02:30:33 AM »
Hey there Don.Sounds like the same kind of life my engine had.Very little use.
              I went to the barn to check my serial number.Here it is :
                                       6665ST12703

I'm planning to buy a 4 pole,1800 rpm st gen head to put on it.Should be a good combination.
Would prefer to go a little oversize if I happen to land a larger engine... Thanks, Mark

Sounds like it's a serial no. 6665, model ST1, 1977 mfg. and a 03 Build. The 03 Build is listed in my Work Shop manual as follows:

Close coupling model with ring gear on flywheel. Clockwise rotation. close coupling fan shround with starter motor blanking plate. 356mm (14") x 67mm (2 5/8") flywheel with ring gear. Fuel pump set 'no overload'. Governor set to 2600 rev/min.
Governor range: 1100-2000  (outside 8% governing limits)
                       2000-2600  (within 8% governing limits)

The clockwise rotation has to be considered when fitting an electric starter and if a generator has brushes.  The cw rotation is opposite the US standard. There are other gov. springs and weights to bring it within limits for 1800 rpm. The combination code for 1800 rpm parts is 11GR.  Probably other things to think about with the CW rotation.

An important thing to know if you intend to direct couple a generator is the bell housing flange is most likely an SAE standard. See here for chart. That will insure it matches the generator housing.

http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/sae.htm

There is also an SAE standard for the flywheel to match the drive disc on the generator rotor shaft. I don't have a reference here at home, I'll check at work. The 5 to 10 KW sounds about right and the 10 KW would give you better motor starting.

Regards,

Don

Don Denning

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 02:43:58 AM »
Found a site that has the complete SAE Standard.

http://www.shmgec.com/REF_DATA/SAEDIM.PDF

Also when bleeding your fuel system don't forget to remove the plate covering the high pressure fuel pump. There is a fuel supply line inside, connected to the top and the nut is broke loose while bleeding it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 05:00:44 AM by Don Denning »

77st1

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 03:40:33 AM »
Hey Don.That number gives us alot of information!!     I've got to borrow a tachometer and check the rpm for sure. It could get tricky matching things up right so I'm glad there are some people out there better informed than me.I certainly enjoy learning as I go. You learn a whole lot more when you are working hands on a project. Thanks for the info.
                              Would the CW rotation matter to an ST head with brushes?  I checked out some ST Chinese heads and they claimed to be able to work both ways...I really don't know enough about them yet....Thanks .......Mark

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 04:14:50 AM »
If the ST head is direct coupled it will rotate CCW. My ST is connected to the Li steroid so that it rotates CCW and works fine. I did check with George B. before doing this and he confirmed no problem.

Perhaps after it has been broken in the brushes you might be concerned about changing the rotation.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Don Denning

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 04:29:13 AM »
Hey Don.That number gives us alot of information!!     I've got to borrow a tachometer and check the rpm for sure. It could get tricky matching things up right so I'm glad there are some people out there better informed than me.I certainly enjoy learning as I go. You learn a whole lot more when you are working hands on a project. Thanks for the info.
                              Would the CW rotation matter to an ST head with brushes?  I checked out some ST Chinese heads and they claimed to be able to work both ways...I really don't know enough about them yet....Thanks .......Mark

One thing about doing it yourself, you can fix it too.

The rotation shouldn't matter, it's probably designed to go either way but I'm not familiar with that generator.

77st1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 11:34:04 AM »
Thanks guys.I enjoy taking care of my own stuff. A few years back a mechanic friend and myself installed a landcruiser 3B diesel with transfer/tranny into my 69 F250 2wd.I've been burning WVO in that,my VW and my bus conversion.I really like the feeling of being self sufficient.It's difficult to be completely that way but each of these projects I take on brings me a little closer. Thanks again...Mark