Author Topic: Electric starter\Generator combo  (Read 22519 times)

SteveU.

• View Profile
Re: Electric starter\Generator combo
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 03:59:32 PM »
Hello Bob P.
90% of automotive DC generators are A circut field configuration. This means the field circut is constantly energized on the battery/charging side and the current flow is controlled to ground through the voltage regulator. B circut is reversed: the regulator varies hot feeding the constantly grounded field coils.
 Your wiring diagram shows yours to be set up as an A circut.
I am really tring to avoid saying negative or positive becouse in the DC auto generator world there was both. Ignore this confusion. The generator does not care. The regulator points life and if electronic WILL care a lot. Positive grounding died out in the US in the 50s except for Freigtliner Trucks and some Marine. I've never seen positive grounding on imported into the US except for British/Japanese systems who changed later from positive to negative grounding with alternators.
 Again your wiring diagram shows you  setup as Negative ground.

You would be safest with a Delco Remy three unit (three sets of points) voltage regulator speced for their motor/generator as listeriodusa1 mentioned. The maximum current setting will be pre-engineered/preset for appx. 15amps. I've had very poor sucess adjusting down the normal 35-45 amp settings on common Delcos off of GMs, industrial and marine.
Or, as we already discussed use an more commonly available 12v R.Bosch/VW regulator (they are all A circut/negative ground) and limit your amps needed by your minimal 12V loads and a smaller starting only battery.

I strongly advise NOT removing the cover band for more air cooling. These motor/generators with their segamented commutators are spark machines. Just look at it running in the dark with the band off.
 You have an enclosed engine area. Only a matter of time before battery gassing, rattle can painting, natural gas leakage, the stored barbaque propane tank, lawn mower gas ect., WILL make a wHO-O-S-S-H-k-A-B-O-O-M ! !
 And we read about you in the burn ward.      I know.     Smells real bad.      Please don't do this.

Sincerly
SteveU.
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.