Author Topic: ITS ALIVE !!...with a gimpy governor.  (Read 5352 times)

contaucreek

• View Profile
ITS ALIVE !!...with a gimpy governor.
« on: October 19, 2008, 07:18:46 PM »
At long last I was able to reassemble the CS yesterday to the point where I could do a quick test fire. All went well except for the governor. It seems to bind where the tuning fork attatches to the rack in the pump. Both the pump and the complete linkage are as smooth as silk but when you put the pin in and marry the linkage to the rack it binds. Seems to be sliding part on what I am calling the tuning fork that binds inside in the hole on the cast part it inserts into. I dont know what kind of clearance it should have to slide but on mine it can be wiggled somewhat so I am wondering if it is enough to cause it to bind "cockeyed" in the hole. The engine seems to struggle for governor response and this is definately the problem joint. Any suggestions experts or is a new linkage in order ? While i am on the subject how does one adjust the shaft in the linkage for proper positioning ? Seem like you lift the cutoff valve then adjust the length to suit but would doing it this way with the governor weights (travel) completely relaxed be a nono ? I havent done anything stupid yet ::) with it but would like it to be right. As always, thanks,  Paul.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

MacGyver

• View Profile
Re: ITS ALIVE !!...with a gimpy governor.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 07:47:41 PM »
Ahhh yes.... the sticky governor.

I had the same problem on my 6/1 'roid.
The trick (on mine) turned out to be to slightly slot the holes that the clevis pin goes through. (the little pin the goes through the "tuning fork")
Someone else suggested that to me and it did the trick just fine. There's a thread about it somewhere.  Ahhh... here it is:

http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=3365.0
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 09:46:00 PM »
Thanks Mac.Although i wasnt able to open the pictures I think I've got it. The hole that gets slotted is the one that is on both sides of the clevis "tuning fork" and the slot would go up/down on the same axis as the overall length of the clevis. Anyway you could pretty please post a link to that picture that would open up for me? thanks, Paul.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 10:04:20 PM »
The hole that gets slotted is the one that is on both sides of the clevis "tuning fork" and the slot would go up/down on the same axis as the overall length of the clevis.

Yep, you've got it...

It only took a mm or so of slotting to make mine work.

Sorry, someone else posted the photos, so I can't help with those.
RF, are you still out there?
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

rf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 08:09:58 AM »
Hello MacGyver, the download url ( http://www.badongo.com/file/8842449 ) still works, also I sent a direct email with attachments to Paul.

Regards
RF

matt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 02:33:16 PM »
The file won't download for me.
Just says "please wait" :'(

Anything I am doing wrong?

Matt

rf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 12:00:14 AM »

matt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 10:11:18 PM »
Thanks RF, the new download site works!!!

Now all I have to do is extract it.
Power Archiver doesn't work, but will try some others.

many thanks,
matt