Author Topic: 9 hp CS  (Read 3364 times)

rgolightly

• View Profile
9 hp CS
« on: October 17, 2008, 05:46:13 AM »
Yesterday another original lister followed me home. This one is different from any that i have seen. The data plate says "9.0 HP at 900 RPM, the serial number is 81781R8, and it has BIG and HEAVY flywheels,  approx. diameter = 25 inches.
 My questions are as follows : year built, and  reason for such heavy flywheels (electric generation maybe, but no belt grooves)
thanks

compig

• 1953 Lister CS 6/1 SOM owner
    • View Profile
Re: 9 hp CS
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 09:48:46 AM »
Picture ?
DON'T STEAL , THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T LIKE COMPETITION !!!
Lister A
Onan W3S Genny
Petter A1
Villiers C45 industrial
Continental flat six powerpacket
ANOTHER Lister 6/1 CS SOM , temporarily !!!

1958steveflying

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 02:32:24 PM »
From my readings i would make that build number 817 and an 8/1 built in 1958, which appears to be the recognised launch date of the 8/1 as actual records were destroyed in the factory fire in 1983 no one can be certain.  It should be 8hp at 850 rpm so maybe they also rated them at 9hp at 900 rpm. Apparently that engine would not have a COV but instead a blanking plug, a new type cast iron barrel without Listarded cylinder, and  Alluminium piston with a chrome top compression ring.
 Flywheels either familiar spoked type (early) or heavier with 3 trapezoidal shape holes initially in 2 styles. 23 x 3.5 inch heavy style for generating plant and 23 5/8 x 3.5 lightweight for general use.

This info from "The Lister CS story" by David W Edgington.  Hope it refers to your engine and helps. Steve
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 02:38:28 PM by 1958steveflying »

rgolightly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2008, 05:38:30 AM »
Thanks for the replys. I will try to post a couple of pictures in a few days.
  thanks also for the data Steve, mine has no COV, spacer shim under the cylinder, cast iron piston, flywheels with 2 oval cutouts and 1 round hole, engine mounted radiator, and fuel tank. also as i purchased the engine the head and cylinder were already removed due to a loose wrist pin that had scored the cylinder wall. the engine will need a complete rebuild, but as parts are available, this will be no problem.
  the info on the fuel filter is in spanish, the person that i bought the engine from said that it had come out of mexico, so i guess it was an export engine?
 the engine had beed painted over with blue paint, hopefully this can be easily removed to reveal the original green.

excellent forum! keep up the good work!

thanks, Ralph