Author Topic: New member first lister diesel st1  (Read 8000 times)

77st1

• View Profile
New member first lister diesel st1
« on: October 16, 2008, 03:52:59 PM »
Hello all.My name  is Mark Rose.I live in Nova Scotia and recently got my first Lister Diesel.From all I've read here about the serial numbers etc I've discovered that my engine is a 1977 ST1.It was used as to power a six inch backup water pump in a local lobster pound.I was told that the engine likely had less than 100 hours on it as it was only a standby unit. It was in a guys shed for probably the last ten to fifteen years.Every now and then he would turn it over with the crank. On the day he delivered it to me,he turned the engine part way with a pipe wrench.It came up solid against something and I haven't been able to move it.Last night I poured a cup or so of fuel into the intake to see if I could free the piston.I'll try again today to see if she'll turn.
              I thought first that I would remove the head but I'm going to leave that as a last resort. I would like to remove the injector however but am unsure how  to go about pulling it out.I removed the dog bone retainer and both fuel lines but don't know where to go from here. The original book was with the engine but I haven't got it yet.I'd hoped that would give me the proper method for safe disassembly.  Any input would be greatly appreciated as this low hour engine should be well worth doing it right.
           Also wondering what the filter numbers would be for the fuel and the spin on lube oil filter.
                        Many thanks from Nova Scotia...Mark Rose

xyzer

• View Profile
Re: New member first lister diesel st1
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 05:49:22 PM »
On the day he delivered it to me,he turned the engine part way with a pipe wrench.It came up solid against something and I haven't been able to move it.
Mark,
Can you turn it the oposite direction? Maybe there is water in the cylinder?!
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 06:13:19 PM »
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

If you have poured a 'cup or so' of liquid into the intake there is a high risk of hydraulically locking it.

Surprised if it is water in an air-cooled engine, but if it is i'm not surprised it is seized.  Could be diesel if the whole system is leaking (injector delivery valve and nozzle valve, so not likely but possible). 

May be a valve stuck open.

The 'crank', if you mean the starting handle, is likely a two way affair so could be used to turn it backwards.  I anm wondering why he didn't use the handle instead of a pipe wrench ???

Regards, RAB

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 06:32:29 PM »
Every now and then he would turn it over with the crank. On the day he delivered it to me,he turned the engine part way with a pipe wrench.It came up solid against something and I haven't been able to move it.
I guess I should have been more specific.....Maybe it has a liquid in the cylinder. What ever it is it turned part way so it ain't siezed!
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

77st1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 08:58:37 PM »
Hey guys.thanks for the replies. Merely using the crank didn't move it at all.However just realized that this unit has a reduction gear on it so we tried moving the pulley side.This seemed to do the trick.It is now moving.I release the pressure by opening a valve so Hydraulic locking wasn't likely the case.
                             The problem is that she won't go up past TDC. I can turn it almost a full turn in either direction but stops solid just before reaching the top. With the oil sitting there,I'm hoping to get a little more movement.
            Has anyone out there experienced this?    I thought maybe something had blown in through the open intake and could be blocking the complete cycle. Before I put any oil into the intake I had blown a fair bit of fine dust out of it.
                    Thanks again....Mark

dieselman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 12:41:37 AM »
I agree with Jens.  You need to find out why it will not go beyond TDC.  It could be a stuck valve, rust or debris in the cylinder, or even some other problem in the valve train.  What ever the cause , without knowing what the problem is you could cause more damage, which could be costly and time consuming. 

Jim
1995 F350 7.3L Diesel
8.3 ISC Cummins
14/1 Lovson (in progress)

77st1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 03:11:17 AM »
           Thanks  for the input guys. I merely rolled it up to where it stopped and let it sit for day and did the same in reverse on the next day. Today, I grabbed the flywheel and gave a little turn and she went free the whole way around.Valves working perfectly and seemed to have great compression.She even let out a few puffs of smoke as I cranked.
                I need to hook up my fuel line and tank and bolt her to the bench. Before I start her I need to replace the oil and spin on filter. Does anyone out there know an oil filter number for the ST1?  I'll also need to replace the fuel filter element.
                            Thanks for the help.....Mark

ZackaryMac

• Nova Scotia, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 12:38:32 AM »
Maybe the bore had some rust on it at the top.
Kubota EL300A-R 4hp 12v Generator
Kubota B6100 HST Compact Tractor
Onan RDJA 8hp
1994 Chev S10 w/Isuzu C223
All are diesel.