Puppeteer

Author Topic: Information on Lister ST2 with Lima 3phase 10kw Generator  (Read 5897 times)

Bablitz

• View Profile
Information on Lister ST2 with Lima 3phase 10kw Generator
« on: October 16, 2008, 03:50:53 AM »
Hi all, I am considering buying a 1975 Lister ST2 with a Lima 10kw 1800rpm 3 phase brushless AC generator. Additional info from the plate:
KVA 12.5   PF .8    Hz 60
Volts 120/240/208/416    Amps 60/30/34.6/17.3
Frame 280   Type AC-R    Part No 2803-0-853
Des Amb 40deg              Duty: Con   Rise 80deg

I am interested in any information on this setup, it is presently running and while I recognise that the engine is well worth getting in itself I know next to nothing about alternators/generators. I would use this set-up to provide emergency power for my home (prehaps running bio-diesel). Is the Lima generator a good one? Would it be worth rebuilding if it failed later? Any help/information would be a help, both in decoding the spec plate and in reference material and or diagrams. Note: When I was a kid we used to live on lighthouses on Canada's West coast and our only source of power were Lister generators, this is the source of my interest in Listers as a power source and hobby.

Thanks in advance
Bud

SHIPCHIEF

• View Profile
Re: Information on Lister ST2 with Lima 3phase 10kw Generator
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 05:31:52 AM »
I just recently got the older SR2 with the same LIMA generator.
You will be getting one of the finest, most adaptable generators ever made.
Known as a 12 wire generator, you can set it up for 120/240 single phase power for your home, or three phase 208 or 416? for a shop. The 208 3 phase will power dual rated 440/208 three phase motors, and also give 120V per leg for lights and wall sockets without the need of a stepdown transformer. Very popular on small ships. The 416 could mean the leg voltage is compatible with 220 'mains' outside of the USA?
I believe it is a two bearing generator, so if the Lister packs it up, the generator could be saved and used with an other prime mover.
If the price is right.....GRAB IT!
Scott
Ashwamegh 25/2 & ST12
Lister SR2 10Kw 'Long Edurance' genset on a 10 gallon sump/skid,
Onan 6.5NH in an old Jeager Compressor trailer and a few CCK's

Bablitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 05:43:11 PM »
Thank you SHIPCHIEF, where could I find information on wiring configurations for the various options you mention? Again my first intended use for the unit is for backup home power but it seems as if I could use it to run some bigger loads i.e. a small sawmill?

Bud

Note: someone else beat me to the punch and picked up the engine before I could make the trip. Back to plan "A" a single cylinder lister and generator set up. Anyone out on this forum from Vancouver Island Canada who has a system I could check out? Still in the information gathering/learning phase.
B
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 10:49:23 PM by Bablitz »

dpollo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 04:32:15 AM »
I have an ST 2  formerly used on a lighthouse and as it did not come with a generator, I now have it driving a 5 kw Kato, also obtained from Crown assets. It works really well.  I  live on southern Vancouver Island and you may send me a private message with your email or telephone # and I will respond. dp