Puppeteer

Author Topic: a thought on promoting the site so others can find it better  (Read 5066 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
a thought on promoting the site so others can find it better
« on: March 24, 2006, 01:50:45 PM »
www.alexa.com rates the internet sites by traffic. i believe the search engines use these rankings on placement for searches. ie if someone looks for lister info.

currently we are rated the 3,888,768 th most popular site on the internet. my thought is if people here went to alexa and downloaded their tool bar (which is a nice feature) then the sites we visit would have more weight. its like all of us signing up to be neilson families (do they still do that?). just a thought if you feel like stuffing the ballot box (could be fun)

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: a thought on promoting the site so others can find it better
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 02:02:52 PM »
#1 There's only one way to get up the list in search engines, and that is people putting static links in to you, on a forum based site like this that is a bit limited as there is usually just one link, to the home URL, rather than many links to different places on the site.

#2 As a webmaster I think you want to be incredibly cautious about recommending that people download specific software, especially stuff like alexa, which is basically spyware, see http://www.spywareguide.com/product_show.php?id=418

#3 Many of us, I am guessing, such as me typing this here now, will not be using winders anyway.

my 2c
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 02:06:26 PM by GuyFawkes »
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 02:29:09 PM »
admin---  To suggest downloading what's likely to be a spam infested, trojan inhabited, spyware trick is NOT cool.  Toolbars and screensavers are the host to a multitude of internet problems better left alone.
  The way web traffic is built is by dynamic links to other popular sites.  That usually cost money.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

guest161

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 09:05:16 PM »
Cross education/pollination

Check out frybrid.com....and mention this site on one of your posts there.

rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 09:54:40 PM »
yes alexa is spyware, it tracks the websites you visit to compile statistics on where you go. by having this spyware on your computer and coming to this site from the static links that do exist it will notify alexa and will increase the sites rating. because no one has come here from the links using alexa, there is no record of those links existing. if you dont want to load alexa then dont. it was a suggestion as a way for those who want to help promote the site to do so. not crap up anyones computer (which it doesnt do). its not like any money is being made from the site and i dont see any advertising bombarding when you come here so chill guy

rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 02:09:35 AM »
just a follow up on using the alexa toolbar for tracking website visits. i put it on my two internet computers. our ranking in just a few days has changed to 3,892,693 for the 3 month average, 1,406,476th place for the one week average. and todays ranking is 363,595.
what does this mean? it means we will over time with people at this site adding the alexa toolbar increase our exposure on the search engine listings. doesnt take much to do and a way everyone that comes here can help
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 02:11:06 AM by rocket »

binnie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 02:24:23 AM »
Hi Rocket,
I did put it up when you suggested it. Haven't had any increase in spam or problems so far..it has even blocked a few pop-ups when surfing. Can't see any negs. so far. If it helps, it's ok by me. I do notice our members going up, but I think that is because the word is getting out. Have shared this site addy with like minded. It's a great site. Thanks for bringing us together. binnie
Listeroid 12/2 Jkson with 10kw head, for backup now on diesel. Future interests: WVO, bio,  Cogen - Heat exchangers - solar.

rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 01:52:12 PM »
tnx binne,

our members using the alexa tool bar has helped our listing strength alot. our new ranking is 259,195 and our average rank last week was around 70,000 moving listerengine.com into the top 100,000 ranked websites in the world. nothing like stuffing the ballot box ;)