Puppeteer

Author Topic: Big flywheel score!  (Read 3465 times)

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Big flywheel score!
« on: September 27, 2008, 10:16:30 PM »
My buddy with the farm scrapyard just recently cut up an identical pair of IHC farm machinery thingies that each contained a large 33" OD x 5" wide, spoked, cast iron flywheel, clutch in the middle of the flywheel sitting on the high speed shaft of a single stage 7-1/2:1 gearbox.  From the gearbox slow speed shaft is a really huge crank throw made of cast steel.  The stroke would be about 3 feet or so. The other side of the crank throw has a 90 degree 1:1 angle drive gearbox of very heavy duty specifications.  My guess is the propulsion came through the angle gearbox to run something modulated by the crank con-rod, and the big step-up gearbox was there to store energy in the massive flywheel.  The clutch is there to stop parts from breaking if the path of the reciprocating con-rod became jammed.

Unfortunately I cannot post pictures at this time.  I have two identical flywheels, two 7-1/2:1 gearboxes and two 90 degree unity gain gearboxes as described.  Also have the two crankshafts and con rods with the load end cut off each.  I'll bet these flywheels weigh 300 lbs each.   8)

I may use one of the gearbox sets in my wind turbine.  The other pair will become replacement spares and the flywheels are available for a possible down the road DIY slow speed engine proyect.  I would love to have a 10 HP liquid cooled single that runs at about 300 RPM!
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

wrightkiller

• View Profile
Re: Big flywheel score!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 01:23:14 AM »
Talk about luck:     ;D :D ;D :D :'(

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 05:38:20 PM »
They sound like parts off of an old bailer

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 06:34:15 PM »
They sound like parts off of an old bailer

Bob

Bob,

You are likely right.  Components made like the proerbial brick sh1t house.  Made to last and provide a long trouble free service life when that seemed like a good idea.

I came to an interesting obsrvation when speaking with someone this summer out in that wrecking yard.  I concluded that we (us DIY'ers) are now in the golden age of such scrap.  As this high quality hardware is taken to the scrap buyers for monetary gain and shipped to the big melting furnace in China there is nothing of like quality replacing it in such collection depots like the local scrapyard operated by my farmer friend.  Instead, such scrapyards, if they decide to still operate will fill up with today's Black Plastic Crap, injection molded home electronics with absolutely no recyclable materials inside them whatsoever from a DIY'ers point of view.  I am able to salvage and actually use the transformers, tubes and other components taken from a 1940's or 1950's television set and make a fine home audio tube amplifier or musician's guitar amp from them.  In contrast a new BPC TV set has only one re-useable part and you don't have to remove the back cover to get to it.  I am referring to the power cord.  It is a truly sad situation!
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dualĀ  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion