Author Topic: Lister 5/1 serial number  (Read 5090 times)

1958steveflying

• View Profile
Lister 5/1 serial number
« on: September 22, 2008, 06:52:49 PM »
Hi All.
  First posting as a proud new owner of a seized hunk of CS 5/1. Am i right in saying with serial number 456351R5 that is build number 4563 radiator version 5/1 built 1955, or have i got that all wrong !

Cheers Steve

listerdiesel

Re: Lister 5/1 serial number
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 07:33:39 PM »
Only 'just' right!  ;)

Peter

1958steveflying

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 09:37:03 PM »
 ;D Thanks Peter

Stan

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 02:28:41 AM »
Congrats Steve, my Penelope was seized when I got her too.  Not badly though.  You can find out if it's the rings that are seized by taking off the head and gently rocking the flywheels back and forth.  If it's the rings that are seized, the cylinder (barrel on your side of the pond) will move up and down.  Mine and many like ours have the chrome worn off right near the top of the cylinder in a small oval area from the top ring to the top of the cylinder.  That's where the rings seize.  Mine came loose after a generous soaking in penetrating oil, then gently raising the cylinder by turning the flywheels, then gently bouncing it down.  I stress gently as we are dealing with fairly fragile cast iron. 

Anyway, if the cylinder doesn't go up and down with gently movement of the flywheel, don't force it, you need to take off the connecting rod and inspect the crankshaft.
stan

1958steveflying

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 01:39:29 PM »
Hi Stan

i have removed the cyl head, the piston was at half stroke and seized solid.  The crank at this point would not move at all so something in that line is also seized. I lifted the weight of the engine on the barrel and used a piece of hardwood piston size as  a drift, half an hour and the barrel was off.
  The big end is free and the crank now moves qtr turn, somethng in the cam area is stopping full rotation so further careful stripping is needed. Getting the gib keys out and flywheels off are the next step. All is soaking while i figure out the next move,  very enjoyable anyway.

Steve

Stan

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 06:31:33 PM »
Steve, sounds like she was out in the weather for a bit eh?  Glad you're having fun, I am too.
Stan

1958steveflying

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 02:00:54 PM »
Update.

Its now totally in bits. Crank is scrap, barrel has had poor frost damage repair, piston could go again with new rings and gudgeon pin at a push but if i fit a new barrel it will get a new piston as well. i have new cam lobes/cam bushes/tappets/followers/pushrods/injector overhaul parts/gaskets and a few other odds and ends already.
At the moment i'm cleaning everything thats re-usable for painting/overhaul etc.
  Still all good fun.
  Steve