Author Topic: Oil field engines  (Read 27182 times)

wrightkiller

• View Profile
Re: Oil field engines
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 01:10:20 AM »

YEP THAT WORKS... ;D

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 01:47:42 AM »
trying again............

Ahh - that worked  I was leaving out a right click to find the copy function.

This is a new Lister Petter 2 cyl air cooled diesel destined for pump use in the oil patch,  I haven't seen that many Listers in one place before.  If I counted right there were 38 of them...but no new water cooled engines of a size I would be interested in.

Oh, and thanks for the help.

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 02:15:13 AM »
Cute!

The clutch (I assume it's a clutch?) looks like an interesting item...

Some kind of electric solenoid on the side for a...  Fuel shutoff ??
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5

mkdutchman

• mkdutchman at gmail dot com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 12:25:51 PM »
That looks a lot like the units in common use here in lancaster county, and if I'm looking right that's a shutoff solenoid?

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 01:11:53 PM »
  Yes, that is a clutch.  And if I understood right, the fuel shutoff serves two functions, low oil pressure and low pump pressure.  If the pump is running dry or if the pump line is open downstream then the engine is shut down.

In the past I saw the results of an open line, my brother had to have half an acre of sand hauled off and burned and replaced with more sand,  expensive and the reason no one hunts on the ranch any more with anything stronger than a bow.  Can't say as I blame him, but now he has to have pros come in and thin the deer population or the fields get wiped out.  Always something when trying to farm for a living.  Lately the feral hogs have been a problem, trapped over 200 this year.

AdeV73

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 03:01:03 PM »
feral hogs

Free-range sausages, shurely? ;)

Dellis

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 06:10:27 AM »
Dave,

Are there oil field engines for sale that are good operating conduction that would turn a 5 to 7.5 kw gen head in your area. If so would you mind sending an email along with price range

I have an indian lister 6/1 running on a stock well pumping water for cattle. I want to set up another gen for a second well.

thanks
D

Stan

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2009, 04:43:22 PM »
A lot of oil field engines are run on propane or well gas (gaseous gas).
Stan

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2009, 04:11:33 PM »

Sorry I've been out of touch lately.  My brother, a quadriplegic, has been in a bad way and I have spent most of the past few weeks in Lubbock at the hospital.  He is now a lot better and with the addition of a pacemaker has a regular heartbeat again.  So needless to say my hunt for toys has been curtailed considerably.  My brother should be home in the next week so maybe life can return to some level of normal.

The oil field engines around Big Spring are mostly for wells in the 5,000 to 7,000 and deeper range.  These beasts are usually in the 50 to 100 hp class, several tons in weight, most are in the 200 to 280 rpm range.  Not what the average person wants for home use.  As well, most are propane, well gas, or butane.  About one out of a hundred were actually diesel, and those bring a premium with the cost of propane (or butane) these days.

But for those interested, a good rebuilt Arrow, Ajax, or FM single can be had for from about 8,000 to about 12,000.  The twins are much higher, but I for one have no real interest in several tons of engine at over 100 hp.  A single flywheel from one of these weighs more than a 6 hp Lister engine.

The man I have been talking to in Big Spring knows people further north towards the Cap Rock with smaller engines.  The wells are shallower up there so 12 hp or so is more the norm.  I am not interested in a rebuilt, but would rather do it myself and learn the engine in the process.  But he did mention a rebuilt FM 12 hp in the $2800 range, so that may be my next buy.

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 01:01:53 AM »
 What ever happened to the oil field engines Dave?

Scott R
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2010, 12:37:28 PM »
If you check his stats it would seem he last checked in at     December 01, 2010, 03:57:09   So it would seem he is here, and will probably answer your question soon.

Billswan
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

lowspeedlife

• old iron for a new age
  • no i'm not no cowboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2010, 09:58:09 PM »
I checked to see when he had last been on the site before I asked, I hate talking to myself, I rarely give good answers  ;D ;D

Scott R.
Scott R.

5.7 liter diesel k-5 blazer. converting to wvo.
omega 20/2 listeroid

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 02:17:16 PM »
    Sorry guys, been mostly out of touch for a long while, peek in when I can to see what is happening in the world.  We bought a place at the far east side of the county this last summer.  Lady lived there 18 years after her husband passed, nothing done, nothing trimmed, nothing mowed.  But my wife loved the trees and hills.  So I have been cutting and mowing to find what is on the property,  removing an old building to make room for a new shop, fight the deer, turkey and coons for the pecans and pears.  And thinning the rattlesnake population.  The hills my wife likes means that I have to cut into a hillside and move and pack it to make a level spot big enough for a shop.  Got it trenched and rebar welded, fighting to get concrete poured before cold weather hits.

As to engines, I bought two of the FM Z 1 1/2 hp but they sit in a corner of the barn with the rest of the stuff waiting for attention.  I dug my Lincoln welder, my Lister and one Wisconsin out of storage to power tools and weld as needed.  Meanwhile, I've pulled 18 sub boxes from three buildings, not a mains in the lot.  Rewired the house with modern service and proper mains box, rewired the barn to spec, and am ready to get the local coop to add a meter. 

More later.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 08:46:08 PM »
Hey, if the wife thing was easy everybody would have one. Mine made it easier on the last move she wanted flat ground...............................and a view.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Oiler

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2010, 09:43:48 PM »
Where did you find an easy wife..... :D :D
1962 CS 6/1 for cutting firewood.
Armstrong Siddley AS1 for sale.

1937 Lister D

1918 Lister L