Author Topic: Is anyone using a PMG  (Read 40260 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Is anyone using a PMG
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2008, 02:07:47 AM »

I've seen this before here in the N.W. home to too many kooks, Clans, and CULTS.
I chose not to swear an oath of silence so I could enter the Utterworld and recieve my token PMG as key to the Utterverse.   Yeah, I like science fiction too.

Steve U.

8)
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

assiduous1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2008, 09:56:25 PM »
Mobile_B,  I think your right...  This link did become a mess.   Sorry about that...

It's all good though!  I found that out that no one is using (or will admit to using) an Utterpower PMG. 

Lot's of good info, you just have to read between the lines sometimes.  Everyone has their view. 

I still wish there were more options for generator heads.  I guess I'll get an ST and try and polish up a turd.

TheSitRep

• Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid!
    • View Profile
    • The Sit Rep
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2008, 02:26:26 AM »
I just took delivery the other day of my brand spanking new PMG from George.

When you figure in the lower shipping cost and that it comes with that sweet pulley, I figure it is actually about the same cost as an st5.

I am expecting it to be trouble free for how I use it. (3-4 hours per day).

ST% 385 + pulley 160 + shipping 150 = 695.00

PMG 625 + shipping 70 = 695.00

Metro 6/1
Utterpower PMG

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2008, 05:44:44 AM »
well now,, its good to hear that the pm heads are made of "OBTANIUM"

:)

ok, ok,, guess that was uncalled for

i do look forward to your report back on how it works out you
as i am sure others will too.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

assiduous1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2008, 08:29:38 PM »
Moble_B... This link may just straighten itself out. 

Sitrep...  Thanks for your posting.  Maybe we can get some useful information about the PMG.  Thanks for bucking up, I know there not cheap.  Make sure your govener is working good and get yourself a killawat meter if you don't already have one to keep an eye on the Hertz.

Steve... What did you pay for your Mecc Alte 8.5 kw (if you don't mind me asking).  Sure like to get some feed back on that one also.  That also looks like a quality unit.  Will you need to order a serpantine pulley for it?  What size engine are you using this for this gen head?  It's a little bigger than a 6/1 will handle.

Would sure be nice to get some pictures of the outputs of these units under a load.  Do you know anyone with an Oscilliscope?

TheSitRep

• View Profile
    • The Sit Rep
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 12:58:09 AM »
Yep, I will run it through it's paces, various loads checking volts and Freq.
Compressor starts, wire welder.

I'll report all findings.

Metro 6/1
Utterpower PMG

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 01:55:03 AM »
I just took delivery the other day of my brand spanking new PMG from George.

When you figure in the lower shipping cost and that it comes with that sweet pulley, I figure it is actually about the same cost as an st5.

I am expecting it to be trouble free for how I use it. (3-4 hours per day).

ST% 385 + pulley 160 + shipping 150 = 695.00

PMG 625 + shipping 70 = 695.00

Oh good, finally a ginney(sp?) pig we can ask questions of!  ;)  What are the power specs on this PMG?  kW?  Voltage?  1800 RPM?  Can you post pics?  Hope it works out really well for you!
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2008, 02:42:52 AM »
Hello TheSitRep
Yes please post some pictures!!!
16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

TheSitRep

• View Profile
    • The Sit Rep
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 03:43:35 AM »
I plan on making a switch box, so I can flick over to 240@3kw for my shop from 120V@3kw to my charger/inverter. I understand that it can churn out 4.5K w/ no sweat I.m thinking this is just what the doctor ordered for my 6/1 I think the efficiency and how it is matched so perfectly with in the hp and surge capability of the 6/1s flywheels will do what I need dependably, and for a long time.

4 terminals connect 2&3 so 1 to 4 give you 240V connect 1&3 and 2&4 for 120V
I can crank by hand and get 6V and 12V 
following is per George 
60HZ models operate at 3600 RPM

PMG is designed to meet or exceed ANSI C84.1 standard when operating at 60hz

PMG does not exceed max recommended 127V/254V  ( no load)

PMG is typically 115/230 or higher at full load (3000watts) measured after the head was 'soaked' for 90 minutes running.

PMG required a load of 4224 watts as per three separate tests to observe the max voltage droop of 110/220 volts (ANSI Standard)

Typical Harmonic Distortion = 4%

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:49:42 AM by TheSitRep »
Metro 6/1
Utterpower PMG

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2008, 05:58:44 PM »
Hum, 3600 rpm. Please let us know how the flicker is with this unit. Also have you seen any published specs as to what the efficiency of this unit is compared to an st head? 
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

assiduous1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2008, 07:17:13 PM »
SiteRep you said "I understand that it can churn out 4.5K w/ no sweat"  While George said "PMG required a load of 4224 watts as per three separate tests to observe the max voltage droop of 110/220 volts (ANSI Standard)" 

George's statment indicates that a load of more than 4224W will have voltages heading below 110V.  Keep an eye on that for us.

What size fuse do you plan on using with this.  Using George's 4224W would use a 35A fuse.  If we try to start a larger motor we will blow the fuse before we start the motor.  If we use a larger fuse we run the risk of damage to the PMG.  What's George recommend?  #10 wire is good for 30A.  If we use a fuse larger than that, we should be using #8 wire. Which looks larger than the wire being used on the PMG.  Any thoughts?

SteveU... How's the Mecc Alte 8.5 kw doing.  Like to have your pics, stats and input on that one too. 

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 09:08:27 PM »
Hello assidiouos1
I took my 12/1 engine down off of it's 2nd outside temperary wood block mounting and have moved it inside the new shop. It's not mounted yet to what will be a third generation wooden 6x6 framed mountng stand capable of taking 85lb stacked concreate weights up to a planned total of 2200 lbs weight. First concern is to get it optimally balanced for my design RPM of 638 under a load.
Unlike a solid 2200 lb chunk of concrete and steel this will be somewhat movable if needed.

Gonna be a bit. I lost our annual good weather window. So now I'm slowing every thing down to conserve money.

How about you both? I know you both  have a 6/1s.    But thats all.

What is your intended fueling sources?   What are you going to use the electrical power for?
As Mobile Bob has pointed out once you start looking at these engines as primarily a heat engine that just happens to make some electricity your whole perspective changes.
 Mine will be installed inside my metal work shop to be my primary heat source with the coolant water and the exhaust. And then overnight as a heated up thermal mass. I need every BTU/Erg/Calorie inside 300+ days to keep anything metal from sweating and corroding.
What are you going to do with all of this extra "free" heat?

SteveU.
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2008, 10:09:55 PM »
I'm putting up the studs in the generator shed now, where mine will be mounted to a "proper" :P concrete block. I will be piping the heated water through a hydronic loop in the basement floor.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

TheSitRep

• View Profile
    • The Sit Rep
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2008, 03:19:11 AM »
I finally mounted the PMG on the engine.

I messed with it trying different stuff. I could use the plasma cutter and welder but I couldn't crank up the amps on the cutter and got no penetration with the welder.

I was getting 50 hz at 120 and I was worrying about the cycles so I decided to check the rpm of the PMG shaft and sure enough it was turning a good deal less than 3600 so I speed the 6/1 up till I got 130v @ 62hz and boy what a difference. I can now get great penetration  with that Hobart 140 and can cut with a lot more heat with the Hobart AF400. Now the thing starts my 2hp compressor w/ no problem.

I think going ahead and running her at say 675 - 685 rpm would be fine.
I also have two ideas that i'll implement tomorrow that will make the governor favor more fuel than less.

Basically it will take all the slack and play out of the linkage toward the one side.

I am fixin to upload a video to youtube, but youtube is acting weird.

Here ya go
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=iM6tIdHbJl4
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:25:48 AM by TheSitRep »
Metro 6/1
Utterpower PMG

mkdutchman

• mkdutchman at gmail dot com
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2008, 04:43:24 PM »
that's youtube japan, you're not in japan are you?