Puppeteer

Author Topic: Paper Cylinder Packing Gaskets  (Read 3145 times)

GeoffN

• View Profile
Paper Cylinder Packing Gaskets
« on: September 03, 2008, 07:32:50 AM »
Hi all,

The paper gaskets that are used for cylinder packing when setting the bump, can these be made out of "corn flakes boxes" or is it special type paper?
Also, could someone explain the procedure on setting the bump on my 3/1.
Thanking you for any help

Regards
Geoff
Queensland
Australia

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Re: Paper Cylinder Packing Gaskets
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 10:56:54 AM »
I daresay you could if you really wanted to,.

The normal shim gaskets are made in different known thicknesses, when fitted, so that the initial measurement can be translated into an accurate gasket requirement.  Saves time, effort and materials.

They are also made in a material which will not 'wick' oil.  Your 'corn flakes boxes' may need some form of sealant to prevent this as I don't know the characteristics of your particular boxes.

Also, 'corn flakes boxes' gaskets may not give an adequately close clearance within the tolerance required.

No special procedure.  Measure the clearance and adjust the shim pack.  Simple as that. 

It is easier, if you are guessing, to add more gaskets of known thickness and remove one or more if clearance is too much rather than having to remove the cylinder to add extra(s).  A decent gasket may have the 'as fitted' thickness quoted or a consignment would/should all be very similar, otherwise you need a measure of that value unless you are going to measure the clearance after fitting, and adjust as necessary.

Your choice on how to go about it as several different ways/options available.

Regards, RAB

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 11:33:26 AM »
My 6/1 gets set to zero deck height so I was going to reassemble without gasket and after turning piston to TDC I will measure piston/cylinder step with my depth micrometer to get my required gasket thickness. After determining this I will blue the bottom of the cylinder and transfer the pattern onto the proper gasket material and cut it out. I suppose you could peen one out too but thats up to you.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 03:14:12 PM »
Like RAB, I found that putting a few typing paper gaskets on the top of the stack of paper gaskets was helpful.  Then to adjust, you don't have to completely lift off the cylinder- just lift it a few inches and tear off a gasket until you get down to your desired bump clearance.

I've not had any problems with oil wicking with either manilla folder or typing paper gaskets under the cylinder.

Best Wishes,
Bruce M

MacGyver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 05:43:07 PM »
I used manila file folders and printer paper to make base gaskets for my 6/1.  After they were cut out I soaked them in floor polish to seal the paper so it wouldn't wick oil.

I've posted DXF drawings of the cylinder shim gaskets and the main bearing carrier gaskets here on my website.
They should print to correct size on a printer, so you can print out a bunch of gaskets and cut them out.

I don't know the difference between 3/1 gaskets and 6/1 gaskets...  don't know if these will work for you.

http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/sweetwatergems/geek/misc/lister_cylinder_base_gasket.dxf
http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/sweetwatergems/geek/misc/lister_main_bearing_gasket.dxf

Some browsers will try and open the files as a sting of text. If you right click on the links and do a "save as", then you can open it with whatever you've got that opens DXF files and print as many as you need.
Steve

JKson (PS) 6/1 'roid & ST 7.5