Puppeteer

Author Topic: Original Lister Questions???  (Read 7513 times)

hotater

• View Profile
Original Lister Questions???
« on: December 04, 2005, 05:12:53 AM »
Mr. Lister and others that have access to the original engines .....engines that now, thanks to Mr. Lister and his excellent pictures, is something I lust over daily...

Us on this side of the pond with rather crude Indian copies have a few questions about how the original designers handled certain problems.  Are ya'll (Southern US for 'you folks') up for a few questions to help us out?

In case that answer is 'sho nuff' or something similar I'll pose a few that has me wondering ....

Is the oiling system a 'boost oil to gravity feed holes' system, or is oil actually pressurized into the bearings?
 (My lathe is a Jap copy of a Clausing-Colchester and feeds all bearings by tiny copper tubes that drizzle oil into them by gravity.)

Is there oil pumped to the valve train?  If so how does it drain back?

It looks like the oil pump is mounted externally and operated by a plunger opposite the fuel pump tappet.....how is that oil pump tappet sealed against oil leakage?
.....or, is the oil pump internal and that's just a manifold I see in the pics?

What main bearings are in the originals?  TRBs or babbit or bronze, or?

Is there a difference in the main bearings between the spoked flywheel engine and the heavier genset flywheels?  Is the bottom end the same or re-inforced in some way?

Can you tell what material the pinion gear is made of?

Are the valve guides bushed in any way or plain cast iron?

Are you tired of questions yet?   :D

Pictures of such things as valve trains, bottom ends, cams and hardware would be much appreciated, as time permits.

I think it would be great to closely compare the two engines to see what shortcuts were taken by the frugal Indians....and what can be restored...... without a foundry.  The castings in those original engines are PERFECT!!  Look at those flywheels!.  LOOK at the counterweight on the flywheel. Mine is three times that size...I wonder why?

Thanks in advance..it's terrific to have access to international knowledge and I don't even have TV!!
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

kpgv

Re: Original Lister Questions???
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 06:42:17 AM »
Hi Hotater,

Great questions. Especially:

I think it would be great to closely compare the two engines to see what shortcuts were taken by the frugal Indians....and what can be restored...... without a foundry.  The castings in those original engines are PERFECT!!  Look at those flywheels!.  LOOK at the counterweight on the flywheel. Mine is three times that size...I wonder why?

I looked at the pix of your flywheels, and all others I could find, plus "Mr. Lister's" genuine UK engines, and I think there is a big difference. The rib behind the rim that the spokes terminate into is far wider than the spokes themselves on the Brittish ones. The Indian ones look to be the same width. They (the Indians) have left some weight out there, maybe a lot? Probably not a good thing, and possibly related to some of the rough running problems???
Anyway, I am looking foreward to hearing more from owners and operators of "genuine" UK Listers. It will have to help with sorting out the "Roids"

Kevin 

kpgv

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 06:36:20 PM »
Check this out!

http://www.oldengine.org/members/croft/Lister%20Diesel%20Manual.pdf

Lots of interesting insight into the "UK" Listers, and great cutaway drawings.

Kevin

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 06:50:07 PM »
Well, that answers some of my questions!

The oil is pumped up to drizzle in the main bearings.  There is still a dipper and the rod bearings are lubed from the top just like the 'roids.  the bottom of page seven explains the lubrication system.

It's also interesting that the CS compresson valve is not 'variable', but is one compression ratio or another by opening up a new chamber.

Not sure what happened to our British friends, I dropped him an email, too.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 06:54:00 PM by hotater »
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Mr Lister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 06:25:51 PM »
Hotater,

Sorry about the long delay in replying.

December was a very busy month and I had little time to work on the Lister and find accurate answers to your questions.

I have only had these engines 12 months and as such - I too am a beginner, not helped by my grounding in microelectronics  - not diesel engine mechanics!

I have now got a bit more time and a resurgence of interest in getting into the nitty-gritty of the engines I own.

Two are now running, a 1950 and a 1951.  That leaves a 1949 vintage and a couple of 3/1 engines.

Please bear with me, and I will look again and get some answers.

I'm not sure what is worse, a new Listeroid with all the sand and oil inside, or a very old Lister with sand and oil mostly on the outside!

I am also investigating the costs of crating some of these up and sending them to North America. 

If we can aford to ship all our scrap metal to China, then surely we can send a few old Listers to the US and Canada!

regards

Ken