Puppeteer

Author Topic: Oblong Illinois Engine Show  (Read 5872 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Oblong Illinois Engine Show
« on: August 04, 2008, 03:37:38 PM »
Hi Folks,
I am planning to take the Listers to this show.  I should have 3 and some other equipment.  Show dates are Aug 8-10.  I probably will not be there until Friday evening and stay thru Sat evening.  It would be great to see some other Lister Heads!!

I'll take the camera and capture some images.

Bob

Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

wrightkiller

• View Profile

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
Re: Oblong Illinois Engine Show
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:55:59 PM »
Hi Folks,
I am planning to take the Listers to this show.  I should have 3 and some other equipment.  Show dates are Aug 8-10.  I probably will not be there until Friday evening and stay thru Sat evening.  It would be great to see some other Lister Heads!!

I'll take the camera and capture some images.

Bob

Boy that sounds like a lot of expended energy.  Do Ublong to the club at Oblong?  There is a engine and steam show at Cookstown, Ontario this summer if I haven't missed it already.  I may take my car and show it in the parking lot.  The factory put badges on it so I won't have to stay with the car and tell folks what it is.   :D  I used to love doing the big Hamfests at Dayton and Rochester in the US but now fatigue quickly (auto accident left me disabled) and could never dream anymore of hauling treasure to show or sell at a show.  I can't even drive that far anymore to attend.  Still, I like to think that Iblong.  :)
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Bump: Oblong Illinois Engine Show
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 02:03:13 PM »
Reminder.  If you have the opportunity to come to the show, please stop by to say hello.  Look for the Listers. 

I even got my model Reid engine running after being irritated with it for 15 years.  No matter what I did it was difficult to start and would barely run, if at all.   I found a blockage in a casting caused by core sand that I did not know was there.  I got it out and it runs quite nicely at about 150 RPM now.

I'll be loading up today. 

Bob

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 02:27:55 PM »
Here are some pictures

This is a 1/4 scale model of a Reid I built. 

There were plenty of questions and a steady stream of visitors.  The Mercury saw drew a lot of attention and memories form folks that ran them years ago.  It starts first pull much to their amazement.

Bob

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 02:42:27 PM »
quote:  "This is a 1/4 scale model of a Reid I built."

Bob,

Nice trailer! That Reid looks like an amazing project.  Certainly worthy of a photo essay of it's fabrication I'd say.  How did you make the cast looking engine frame?  Where did the flywheels get sourced from?  Are they solid brass? 
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 06:18:01 PM »
Thanks Guys,
The beams under the engines are as follows.  Under the 16-2 gen set, I have a frame with 12" X 26lb (IIRC) W flange beam.  Mostly because that is what the local steel supplier had.  The 6-1 gen set has a beam of my own fabrication under it.  I started with 12 X 1 and welded on 4 X 1/2 flanges.  The frame spacers are solid 3.5 diameter stock that I had left over from a job. 

The Reid engine castings were sold by Burns and Horner Engine company in Dayton OH.  The business was sold to a man in Michigan who has not done well with it.  Castings are probably no longer available.  Search on the Smokestack forum for more info.  All the minature piping is all functional.  I piped it all with truescale pipe fittings from Coles power models now in Texas. 

http://www.colespowermodels.com/index.html

I machined 3 sets of castings.  The twin to my engine is in Mentor Ohio.  The 3rd one was never completed and I am in the process of searching the whereabouts of the owner.  Last I heard he had retired and was living in his RV, traveling the country with no permanent address.  Those machined castings have to be sitting somewhere!

Bob

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 08:59:43 PM »
as the owner of a few model engine I appreciate the beauty of the reid and the work that you put in it.the scale of pipes make the engine stand out// the attention to detail makes the model// I am part of a pit crew for a 15 hp reid and it make you appreciate the size on this one/if you want some adventure, try starting a reid// sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

rl71459

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 09:02:24 PM »
Bob

All your stuff looks grade A!  Excellent work! I wish I had gone to the show :'(

Rob

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 12:57:29 AM »
Bob,

Saw the pic you took of your Amish friend's low hour 12/2 in Stationary Engine Magazine that arrived in the mail yesterday.  You oughtta send in some pics of your other engines, too!

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 04:06:25 AM »
Thanks Qinn,
I am supposed to get a copy soon.  I am glad you liked the article.  I may end up with the entire rig in a few months.

We had some discussions about a photo and article on the other machines.  It is a work in progress.  John Todd and I may write a article on "the last two Listers" sold in the US. 

Bob

Bob