Author Topic: Glycerine as a fuel source  (Read 6501 times)

centralmainediesel

• View Profile
Glycerine as a fuel source
« on: August 01, 2008, 09:31:29 PM »
Does anybody have any knowledge or feedback on operating Lister engines on pure glycerine? I have received serveral calls from people who manufacture bio-diesels and indicate that glycerine is a byproduct and they are wondering about the usage in a Lister type engine. Any information or direction will be a help to us....Thanks, Phil at Central Maine Diesel  www.generatorsales.com

greasy_burger

• Southern NH Biodiesel master
    • View Profile
Re: Glycerine as a fuel source
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 01:46:44 AM »
I do not believe glyceron will atomize properly, it will also have some residual methonal from the process which might adversly affect things, if anyone is willing to try it i would gladly supply the glyceron:)
Passat tdi with greasecar kit,Vegtherm and Fphe
Excursion Diesel
Beckett Afg Fha
Metro 6/1 with 4k indians head
All burning Wvo or Homebrewed Biodiesel

clytle374

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 11:35:22 AM »
Someone here will know more. 
I would think you will have to heat it, and how hot?
Raised the injector pressure to get it to atomize?  Will the IP take the pressure?
Raise/lower the compression ratio?
Will the exhaust be toxic? 

biobill

• 'riods make good houseguests if fed right
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 07:59:44 PM »
  From my observations, glycerine waste from the biodiesel process has very little in common with motor fuels. If the feed stock is WVO the gly will be far from pure and the flash point is much higher than diesel fuel. I've experimented a bit with the intention of using it for a space heating fuel, but it's got it's challenges, not the least of which is it's gelled at room temperatures. I would expect that it's BTU content is far lower also. You can visually compare it's burning properties with diesel fuel by atomizing with a spray bottle and igniting with a propane torch (best done outside!) or, more simply, just throw a cup of each into a fire. Not the same stuff.     Bill
Off grid since 1990
6/1 Metro DI living in basement, cogen
6/1 Metro IDI running barn & biodiesel processer
VW 1.6 diesels all over the place
Isuzu Boxtruck, Ford Backhoe, all running on biodiesel
Needs diesel lawnmower & chainsaw

SteveU.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 09:37:33 PM »
Hello All

I just got through reading sodbuster/Daniels web site about his evolution and results to his SVO/unleaded gasoline mix.

He makes a compelling standpoint for NOT TAKING THE GLYCERINE out of raw vegetable oil but leaving it in and using it as a addtional source of hydrogen in a blended motor fuel.

www.oilcrusher.5u.com/whats_new.html

I will be forwarding this off to my farmer relatives who are biodieseling with thier own raised canola seed crops.

Thanks Daniel
SteveU.
Use it up. Wear it out. Make Do, or Do Without.
 Electrodyne 12vdc. AC MeccAlte 8.5kw
John Deere 950 w/Yammar 3cyl IDI; Peterson 21" sawmill w/20hp Kohler v-twin; four Stilh chainsaws,  Stilh weedeaters; various Kohler, Onan, Honda, Briggs, Tecumseh singles.

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 12:24:57 AM »
compelling standpoint for NOT

As I see it esterification was a means of copying closely the dino fuel composition.  That is not strictly necessary if the engine is modified to burn it efficiently. 

Another point, I think was relevant, was that the 'customer and exercise' bods didn't relish the idea of straight veggie in diesel cars on UK roads, so put in a few lots of hoops to jump through to try and control it's use ( ie collect tax revenue).  As things have progressed, supermarket veggie soon went up towards the pump price of diesel and the government were the loser on fuel duty and VAT of any such use.

Not quite as simple as that but it all complicated matters for UK users.  Pay the government (ourselves really?) or put the money in the supermarkets coffers?  OK if you were Mr Tesco you might well be laughing..... all the way to the bank.

Just my warped view of thieving taxation and profiteering.  I think KISS, burn the product efficiently with the minimum processing.

Regards, RAB