Author Topic: Advice on cleaning up engine  (Read 3936 times)

GeoffN

• View Profile
Advice on cleaning up engine
« on: July 27, 2008, 05:34:23 AM »
Hi all,

Suppose this comes no suprise to all that have done it before, I took the crankcase cover off and there it was "The Creature from the Black Lagoon". Any tips or tricks on removing this sludge, wonder if Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs will come and do it he likes getting covered in crap. Searously now, also decarbonising the head and whatever else needs doing. Also  how can pictures be uploaded in messages.

Regards
Geoff

Lister CS  3/1

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on cleaning up engine
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 05:48:42 AM »
Do the listers have any bits the hot tank will dissolve like the cam bearings in an Austin Type A engine?

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

MeanListerGreen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 07:24:07 AM »
I used a can of engine cleaner and a pump up chemical sprayer with diesel fuel.  Works great.
MLG Gib Key Pullers

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 12:53:09 PM »
Wipe out as much of the gunk as possible.  Open it all up and get the engine outside. Wear old cloths and get about 5 gallons of kerosine.  I spray it with compressed air, cleaning and flushing the nasty stuff out.  It is a nasty job but sort of a right of passage.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 08:14:20 PM »
This used to be all so easy.  We just did these procedures out on the driveway knowing that the crap would help hold the dust down.  Now we're faced with the reality that when it rains there will be run off.

Lately; I've just been getting rid of the worst of it with rags and then take the parts down to the local car wash that has the bay marked "engine wash".  First wash is with "Organic Grease Cleaner" and the second wash is done with "Simple Green".  The parts are really clean, take paint well and my guilt quotient is way down.

For a total ground up rebuild I go with the dip tank recommended by Jens.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245