Author Topic: Need 3.5 mini petteroid head nut  (Read 6724 times)

mkdutchman

• mkdutchman at gmail dot com
    • View Profile
Need 3.5 mini petteroid head nut
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:36:55 PM »
I finally got around to putting the mini petter together, and guess what, I'm missing a head nut, does anyone have one or a set they'd be willing to sell? Or does anyone know what size and thread they are and if there is a US supplier?

oliver90owner

• View Profile
Re: Need 3.5 mini petteroid head nut
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 10:36:08 PM »
The cost of postage etc will soon exceed by an order, the cost of a nut.  buy a thread guage set, measure the thread and buy, or make, one.  You will then have the tool and the expertise forever.

Or just take one of the others and ask your local 'nuts and bolts' supplier for one like it.  they will have a thread guage if theyare any good and at least point you in the right direction.

i am sure there is a at least onesupplier in the whole of the US who can supply.  Try google and you will get millions of hits.

RAB

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 11:00:46 PM »
BSF take a nut to your local nut bolt suplier ( industrial ).

Draw him crayon picture of a nut and say BSF let him measure and argue but order you a couple of BSF nuts and your back in buisness for around 5 dollars a piece
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

mkdutchman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 12:00:07 PM »
The cost of postage etc will soon exceed by an order, the cost of a nut.  buy a thread guage set, measure the thread and buy, or make, one.  You will then have the tool and the expertise forever.

Or just take one of the others and ask your local 'nuts and bolts' supplier for one like it.  they will have a thread guage if theyare any good and at least point you in the right direction.

i am sure there is a at least onesupplier in the whole of the US who can supply.  Try google and you will get millions of hits.

RAB

That's sort of what I had in mind, but I'm only acquainted with good USA thread standards, thanks for the info

unfortunately we don't have a local bolt supplier,  :-\ I will have to check Mcmaster carr and msc

mkdutchman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 01:54:17 PM »
Just got off the phone with msc (we can special order one in for you) and mcmaster carr (bsf? hmm, never heard of that one) Guess I'll have to keep looking, I think there's a small company in new york that might have something

Yes there are lot's of hits but lemme tell ya 99 percent of those hits are either in the UK or India
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:59:45 PM by mkdutchman »

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 04:48:57 PM »
Ok, so find the size and order a tap from the UK.   Drill suitable hex bar and tap the hole.  Cut at appropriate length.  Job done. onto next one.....That's what I do with square bar for old plough bolts and nuts.

Regards, RAB

mactoollover2005

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 05:00:08 PM »
RAB,, thats a good idea to make your own, not too hard,,,, but,,,, when ordering the steel u would have to get it with the proper strength,, not too weak- would rip the threads out as u tried to tighten the nut down. Not too hard- seen hardened bolts shatter/ shear from vibration, think the bolts were in the SAE grade 10/12 range.

Still a great and cheaper idea than buying new nuts all the time.

Derek
Still working on finding a lister gennie.
Derek

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 05:49:46 PM »
Just got off the phone with msc (we can special order one in for you) and mcmaster carr (bsf? hmm, never heard of that one) Guess I'll have to keep looking, I think there's a small company in new york that might have something

Yes there are lot's of hits but lemme tell ya 99 percent of those hits are either in the UK or India

If you can get it measured I can get you 1 ( not for profit ) from Rastal nut and bolt company here but it will be expensive to order just 1 and then ship it up too you.
Also look for " Great British bolts " on Ebay uk. Nice Ebay vender who can put together a custom order of what ever you need. Shipping is high so I would only go that route if you were going to get some assorted fasteners.

Doug
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

mkdutchman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 08:16:41 PM »
ok, after all that bother I went back in the shop and looked all over for that missing head nut that's starting to look more expensive by the minute..........still couldn't find it, then the boss comes in and in less than a minute he found it in the one place I hadn't looked..........

Now I feel like an idiot and I'm starting to think the only nut that's missing is somewhere in my head, as I have everything I need and even had the motor running about five minutes ago. I think I'll keep the work area a whole lot cleaner next time..............then maybe I can find my stuff

At least the engine is practically falling together so that's good (And it had better, all the times I've had it apart >:()