Author Topic: What is the db level of a Listeroid 6-1/12-2/16-2?  (Read 4860 times)

Flyingpony

• View Profile
What is the db level of a Listeroid 6-1/12-2/16-2?
« on: July 09, 2008, 01:57:27 AM »
Saw a YouTube recently which placed a ChangFa at 100db.  That's too loud I think for using inside a city.

What kind of db levels does a Lister 6-1/12-2/16-2 produce?

I know from my experience with a CS3-1, you can stand at 5m and hold a normal conversion and that engine has no sound proofing/reduction done to it.  It's in an open barn with a straight pipe exhaust.  A Petter 3hp on the other hand, you can hear over the top of your TV even when it's 70m away!

Thank you for taking the time to make your readings.

M61hops

• View Profile
Re: What is the db level of a Listeroid 6-1/12-2/16-2?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 10:43:10 AM »
I don't have a DB meter but a 6-1 is way quieter than a Changfa or petteroid.  I can stand next to my my 6-1 and carry on a conversation with another person talking at a normal level.  That is with a muffler that has a lot of expansion volume in it; the clatter of the valve train is the most ovbious noise.  I have not heard another diesel engine that makes less overall noise.  I just wish listeroids had hydrualic lifters :'(.  Under heavy load I can feel the power stroke about as much as I hear it through the cast iron.  I chose a 6-1 for my co gen project just for it's low sound level.      Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

oliver90owner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 09:24:25 PM »
I just wish listeroids had hydrualic lifters .

M61hops,

Hmmm...could it be time to design a telescping two-piece push rod with a spring in the join, to remove/reduce the clearance rattle?  Not exactly high speed, as you can count the revs by putting your finger on the tappets....up the right way and it can be filled with oil....rubber boot to keep out dust...slider or something to help keep it rotating....might need to be in titanium.....nearly there.

There again, just put the whole engine in a sound-proofed box?....move it a bit further away?....

Regards, RAB

Stan

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 10:20:35 PM »

However much you want it to produce.   ::)

If you put it on a solid mount, put a muffler on it, add an expansion tank, put it in a well soundproofed shed, put the exhaust into an underground gravel filled barrel, very little.

If you put it outside on the ground with no muffler, lots.
Stan

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 04:15:58 AM »
If you put Stan's Lister in my back yard he canlt hear it ( or hopefuly find it )
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

jtodd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 05:56:47 AM »
Saw a YouTube recently which placed a ChangFa at 100db.  That's too loud I think for using inside a city.

I know from my experience with a CS3-1, you can stand at 5m and hold a normal conversion and that engine has no sound proofing/reduction done to it.  It's in an open barn with a straight pipe exhaust.  A Petter 3hp on the other hand, you can hear over the top of your TV even when it's 70m away!

Thank you for taking the time to make your readings.

That maybe was my video on the Changfa.

Anyway, my Lister 16/2 makes a LOT less noise from brief anecdotal tests.  I don't know if "quality" of the noise is also a factor - the Changfa is 1800 RPM, and for some reason that is more grating on the nerves than the Lister CS at 850RPM.  I haven't actually done the comparison at the same distance; it's taking me much longer to get things back together on the Lister front (disassembled for painting.)  I have two mongo mufflers for the CS, too - one for each cylinder.  Hopefully they won't resonate too much after final assembly, though I suspect I could wrap them in fiberglass batting to reduce high-end noise.

If you design a shed and exhaust system with sound control in mind, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to run it in a small (read: rowhouse) backyard for large portions of the day.  The vibration may be what gets you in trouble with the neighbors unless you get it thoroughly balanced - the shake is significant, and subsonic vibration travels far through solid objects like concrete.  It is possible to do, I'm sure.

JT

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 08:29:04 AM »
I just wish listeroids had hydrualic lifters .

M61hops,

Hmmm...could it be time to design a telescping two-piece push rod with a spring in the join, to remove/reduce the clearance rattle? Not exactly high speed, as you can count the revs by putting your finger on the tappets....up the right way and it can be filled with oil....rubber boot to keep out dust...slider or something to help keep it rotating....might need to be in titanium.....nearly there.

There again, just put the whole engine in a sound-proofed box?....move it a bit further away?....

Regards, RAB

Yes, I've thought about trying just such things.  I think it would be quite trickey to spring pre-load the pushrods because the valve springs are so light.  I might give it a try sometime though!  Also I would like to try enclosing the valve gear with heavy walled covers if I ever get time to tinker that much.  A sound proof shed is a must!  I would like to run my engine all night if I needed and sound carries a long ways at 3:30am.  Unfortunately I have neighbors close on each side :-\.  Even with the thumping from the combustion event I think the CS type engine is a good starting point for a quiet generator but it is a challenge to make it as quiet as I would like  ;).    Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 06:14:03 PM »
Don't have a DB figure, but mine is pretty comfortable to be around.  It is in a wood roofed cinderblock shed about 45' from my living room.  When I run I leave the shed door open as I still have the peppercan muffler on it.  setting in my living room, I can bareley detect that it is running.  If you are going to excite/concentrate electrons using a combustable fuel, you will be hard pressed to find anythig quieter IMO...

If you want it quieter still, as suggested, a large expansive muffler, and also a muffler on the intake would be advised.  If you are going to use it for cogen, then enhancing heat recovery by fairing in the pushrods and wrapping the whole cylinder in insulation to force more heat out the cooling system would also dampen valve train noise.  It is funny someone should mention spring dampers on the pushrods.  A little downforce on the pushrods/tappets actually enhances tappet rotation.

As mentioned, vibration can be a tough one depending on your soil conditions.  I like a high mass base, but something to isolate that high mass base from the ground, along with the above mentioned mufflings, might make one of these very neighbor friendly.  My 6/1 is on about 1500# of concrete, which sets on a 1/2" rubber mat on a concrete pad.  I can't really feel it 30' away...
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Stan

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 06:30:52 PM »
Set it up, run it, and if your neighbours come over keep saying "what?" and "pardon?" and cup your hand behind your ear as if you are hard of hearing.
Stan