Author Topic: Awful quiet in here!  (Read 12925 times)

Tijmen

• View Profile
Re: Awful quiet in here!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 11:37:05 PM »
Yeah finnaly my boat made it to the weldingshop!
Nice truck!
It will be completed mid/end of august. So at the moment I can't work on the engine. But I found a large warehouse where I can take the boat and engine to when they finnish welding. There I can paint and work on the engine without depending on the wheater.

So its a bit quiet around my project atm. Also going on holiday within 2 weeks.
Check http://www.xs4all.nl/~gbrinker/foto/expose/ for the latest images

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 01:54:01 AM »
The lastest projects have involved a lot of painting.  I painted another Strong-Hold storage cabinet.  I wrapped that up last week so today I started in on the Lister 6/1. 

I had been chasing an annoying freeze plug leak in the top of the head.  That is fixed.  I spotted oil some leakage at the oil pump and the cam follower.  I got some new seals and replaced them.  The oil pump plunger was badly worn where it was rubbing on the seal.  Making a replacement was a simple 20 minute lathe job.  The cam follower axle had some wear and I made a new one there and pressed it in. 

Those tasks done I ran the house on Lister power all day last Sunday.  I had to shed some loads but all went well all day long.  I used about a gallon and a half of diesel fuel.

All went well with the engine, cooling system, generator and in the house.  Today I tore the engine down for painting and making it pretty.  There is a show in Oblong, IL the second weekend in August that a friend is suggesting we go to.  He has been good at prompting me along.  It was in the upper 90's today with high humidity and progress was slow but steady. 

Hopefully I'll shoot paint later this week if the weather and my motivation holds.  Over 90 I tend to slow down in the shop.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 12:57:20 PM »
Progress!  I got paint shot yesterday on the 6-1.  I also attached a picture of the shop cabinet I recently painted.

Bob

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2008, 03:26:39 PM »
rleonard -

Small world, I was born in Olney, and raised northeast of Dundas.  I wish I had known you had your paint gun out, just finishig up a '54 model Quincy compressor from the ranch.  Five old coats of paint flaking off the tank, some of them over dirt and oil.  I couldn't stand just rebuilding the compressor, took it all down and started over.  The only thing that keeps me going on an job like that is knowing what it can look like with modern paint over a smooth primer.  Your paint job looks great!

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 09:19:59 PM »
The only primer was the origional material on the block.  I go over with a needle scaler to remove all the origional paint.  That done, I power wirebrush with a small angle grinder and a large cup brush on a larger handheld, air powered unit. 

I spray paint with Sherwin Williams Tile Clad, high solids 2 part paint.  I use a Binks 2001 gun on 60PSI to spray. 

Just when I saw a breather between projects, a trailer showed up for the rebuilding of the tongue to attach a new hitch. 

Bob

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 09:27:27 PM »
Bob,

I've just gotta say you trust those studs holding your exhaust and water outlet flanges a lot more than I do!   ::)

Nice job!

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 12:19:22 AM »
Bob,

I've just gotta say you trust those studs holding your exhaust and water outlet flanges a lot more than I do!   ::)

Nice job!

Quinn

Yeah, I looked at that arrangement with the supporting chain too and shuddered.  I would have lifted the engine grabbing something stronger and then sat it on a block for elevated painting with the chain gone.  I appears you have the chain rigged somewhat away from the engine so as to not interfere with the paint job.  Because of this the lever stress on those pipes is over the top.  Of course you know this and decided to take a chance.  The advice offered here is for the newbies who need good guidance.
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 03:15:23 AM »
There is no chance taken at all.  Calculating the moment, overhang distances, weight, and the tensile strength of the studs, I still have at least a 5X safety factor.

Bob

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 03:44:35 AM »
There is no chance taken at all.  Calculating the moment, overhang distances, weight, and the tensile strength of the studs, I still have at least a 5X safety factor.

Bob

Did you also calculate the tensile strength of the rust and the wear factor on the block, stud threads based on an age model, possible past misuse and crossthreading/tap cleaning?  Did you x-ray the components under stress here for cracks or inclusions/voids?  With new materials I would buy what you are selling here but unless you really know the history of this machine....

This is ancient iron and what I saw based on my personal experience and gut feelings raised an alarm.  In cases like this crossed fingers and luck becomes a factor in warding off potential disasters..  Folklore even tells us that having horsehoes up one's ass is considered good luck but in fact unless they are epoxy coated they can corrode as does re-bar in concrete causing unexpected problems with time.  Explaining why you are always setting off the metal locator at the airport security can quickly get old as well.  "No really officer I actually do have.......!"   :D
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 04:22:11 AM »
Actually, he does.  I keep forgetting, this is a BRITISH Lister engine made from better stuff than the recycled tramp steamer most of our engines are made from.  And studs tapped with sharp tools, not worn ones.  So I guess it's not such a concern.  But should something give, that engine would sure take a divot out of the grass!   :o

Quinn
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew