Author Topic: Awful quiet in here!  (Read 12920 times)

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
Awful quiet in here!
« on: July 02, 2008, 02:11:07 PM »
I know it is the middle of summer, but does anyone have Lister projects going on? 

Has the high price of diesel dampened interest in these prime movers?

I have delayed the painting of my 6-1 until I sort out some minor mechanical details.  I expect to have those resolved within a couple of weeks, then commence a teardown and painting.

I'll post pictures of progress if anyone is interested.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

wrightkiller

• View Profile
Re: Awful quiet in here!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 02:31:50 PM »
Bob:  Pictures are alway's most welcome..... ;D  So please do share them with us..... :)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 04:45:53 PM »
My next Lister project is to pore the mounting base and slab for the power shed. Not exactly exciting.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Flyingpony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 01:51:16 AM »
It's winter over here down under so too cold and wet to do anything outside or in the garage.

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 02:31:39 AM »
Snicker.... snicker.....
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

JimB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 03:35:11 AM »
Just this last week I got my exhaust hooked up so I can work in the shed while the engine is running. Then I got the thermosiphon cooling hooked up and ran my electrical wiring into my house to the generator panel. It has been exactly one year (July 4th) since I bought my Metro and it is almost completed as far as generating electricity to charge my battery bank. Then its on to the heat recovery system. I'm not sure how to post pics on this forum but I'll try to get some together with a link sometime.
Nobody moves, nobody gets hurt.

listerdiesel

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 08:19:11 AM »
Loads going on, nothing particularly Lister-ish, Petter AV1 diesel genny set in bits while the frame is away being shot blasted and Zinc sprayed, Petter PU8 genny has had it's frame done and powder coated and is waiting collection from the painter, another Onan W3S genny has been gifted to our collection by a family in Derby and we are fairly busing at work as well.

Lots of things to do, and after a 600 mile trip yesterday, too bl**dy knackered to do anything!!

Peter

Stan

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 03:38:13 PM »
Peter, here in the "wilds" of Canada we measure travel by the number of hours it takes.  A 600 mile trip is about 8 hours here.  3 or 4 years ago I rented a car in Cambridge when visiting my daughter there, and we drove up the freewway about 3 hours to Invermere in the lakes district.  The lady at the small hotel we stayed at was very suprised we had driven so far and even more surprised we had done it all in one day.  ::)

I guess things are changing now with more freeways (motorways?) and everything over there, but a 10 or 12 hour drive here is more the norm than ever.  In order to do any real shopping we have to drive 5 hours one way.  To visit my son is an 11 hour drive one way over 7 mountain passes.  To visit my Daughter is 5 10 hour days of driving one way.

I know you have visited the american midwest to engine shows so you probably know what I mean.
Stan

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 11:26:19 PM »
The Lister parts are still at the machine shop and I have aquired 2 more hit and miss engines, a 5 hp Alamo and a 2 1/2 hp Famous so I am in gas engine mode these days. Showed the Alamo at a local show all weekend. 1916 and it ran flawlessly.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

listerdiesel

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
Stan:

Being a relatively compact country, we can drive the length of the UK in about 11 or 12 hours, depending on traffic. Once north of Glasgow there are no dual-carriageways on the western side of Scotland, while at the other end there are dual-carriageway roads almost all the way down to Lands End.

We used to drive 60,000 miles a year, but since we moved nearer home with the factory, we only go out when necessary, we don't have that 40 mile each-way trip every day.

I left at 10.05am, got back home 10.30pm, so that wasn't too bad, as it included deliveries, a service visit, fuel stops etc. The longest stop was the service visit at Derby, took about 3/4 hour by the time they had found the plant engineer, got booked in, had a look at the charger (no faults) got booked out again etc.

Since 26th Sept 07 the new van has done about 20,000 miles, so we reckon we will have cut our driving in half (and fuel usage)

Peter

Geno

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 11:52:52 AM »
The project on my original 6/1 is on hold. 1) My roid is running like a top. 2) I got an 1985 Benz 300d last January that I'm getting road ready and converted to WVO. I also put together a centrifuge based on the Simple Centrifuge bowl. I got so sick of bag filtering last winter I spent the $. It's so much easier now.

The original is completely apart. Most parts are servicable. Ring end gap is still within spec measured with new rings. Tiny lip on top of the cylinder. The crank was cut .020 under so I had the local Babbit guy check it out and pour me 2 sets as well as a set of mains.
I sure could use an original 6/1 cam. The lobes and bearing surfaces on mine are pitted badly. I'll put an Indian one in it if I have to.

Thanks, Geno

glastry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 08:10:40 PM »
yes-i like this post,seems to give me the chance to "quietly" post that i now have
my 6/1 running.its been over a year since i bought it so i feel a bit embarassed that its taken me
all this time to get to this stage.
i,ve since bought another 6/1,with solid flywheels,and am searching for a cast base and the
startomatic bits!
am currently setting up yet another wvo filtering station,with the intention
of feeding it to the lister and blatantly copying ken boaks set up! (powercubes)
well thats a start made!!

dpollo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 02:16:59 PM »
I am forming up for a concrete bunker, partially below ground to house my 2 cyl, electric start Lister which has a belt driven 5 kw Katolight alternator.  This unit proved itself in a seven hour run last winter and since then I have adjusted the governor and purchased an electronic voltage regulator .   Once in the bunker, which is between the garage and a woodshed,  the mechanical noises should be tolerable.  I also found a stainless tank which holds about ten gallons and have equipped it with a sight glass so I can measure fuel.  About the only hold up is my reluctance to get out the concrete mixer, but my wife is getting tired of the pile of gravel in her parking spot.  dp

rleonard

• Mattoon, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2008, 12:23:23 AM »
Dpollo,
Please be sure that your bunker is well sealed and drainage provided for.  Being below grade, I would not want to see you have a moisture problem in there.

Bob
Faster - Better - Cheaper  You can have any two, but not all three

dpollo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 12:47:45 AM »
Good advice to be sure.  It is only below grade on two sides and against the garage wall on the third side, the fourth being open at ground level  and above the perimeter drain of the garage building.  Thanks for your concern.  Air cooling the unit may be more of an issue than moisture.   I have operated a hydro plant for about 45 years now and moisture is an ever present problem.  No real disasters yet, at least at the generator end.