Puppeteer

Author Topic: 1991 ISUZU ELF 2 TONCABOVER FROM JAPAN  (Read 10853 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: 1991 ISUZU ELF 2 TONCABOVER FROM JAPAN
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 02:56:11 AM »
AECL designed and built small reactors like that inthe 70s, they even tried to convince the DND to retrofit our Oberon Subs to use them but it never happened.

but somewhere in the basments of a Canadian univerities near you there are old slow poke reactors running for research. So well made they are lisceneced to run without opperators for short durration...
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2008, 12:30:28 AM »
but somewhere in the basments of a Canadian univerities near you there are old slow poke reactors running for research. So well made they are lisceneced to run without opperators for short durration...

Sort of like a "nukular" listeroid then....
Wonder if they could do a startomatic version?
How long before Atul starts making them?  :D

Cheers,

Brian

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 01:28:43 AM »
Never thought of it that way lol.

It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Flyingpony

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 02:07:01 AM »
Flyingpony,what did you import from Japan and how do you like it?
It was already imported by a local used car dealer.  Could have saved a 1/3 if imported myself, but by seeing the car in person and taking it for a 30km spin around the block, one can eliminate cars which looked good on paper.  Would hate to purchase a lemon.  Purchasing already imported cars meant they've also got an Automobile Association inspection report.  My car is a petrol powered Mitsubishi sedan.

Personally I find Japanese imported cars give very good back for buck.  Especially if you get low mileage ones (sub 50,000km).  Should last you 10yrs with little attention and for US$5,000 that's a bargain.  But after leaving the car yard you have to drive into the service station and replace all fluid/belts, water pump and the battery.  Peace of mind insurance.

Only negative on Japanese imports, they could have clocked up plenty of idle hours so engine wear might be much higher than indicated.

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 04:14:02 PM »
   I bought the Isuzu with 165km on it. It wieghs 5000lbs. got around 25MPG on drive back from Vancouver,BC

A good dealer changes all the Fluids ,and will put on new tires as the existing ones,no matter how good they are,if the tires are not DOT stamped. They have to in order to be able to sell it.

Driveing through British Columbia has to be one of the most scenic trips in all of Canada. It was a FUN TRIP!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 08:54:30 PM by dieseldave »

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 06:24:49 AM »

Isuzu Elf update!

Finished installing the WVO conversion. Engine seems to run a lot smoother,with no noticable loss in power. I purchased the kit from  www.plantdrive.ca   in Salmon Arm,BC.

It was a big hit at our Wednesday night get together in Edmonton. Exhaust smells like what the exhaust fan emits at a McDonalds.

The total cost of the kit was $1200. Odds and ends + stuff for the WVO purifier brings the total to about $2000. With the price of diesel,this will pay for itself in 5 months.   Plantdrive are great to deal with!

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 12:40:34 AM »
Jens,
   I live on an acreage 38km from Edmonton. When I go for a load of coal,that trip is 105km round trip. When I go somewhere,it is almost always to Edmonton or Dodd's coal mine in Riley.

I would say that about 1/2 litre of diesel is needed for a 10 minute warmup at 1000rpm. If I am going on errands in town,I dont need to purge. Thats if I am in and out of the store. In summer,I am good for an hour. So best case scenario would be 1/2 litre for warmup. I purge about 4km from home@100km/hr,so that would consume about another1/2 litre.

If one doubled this diesel consumption for winter,then about 2 litres of diesel would be used. A trip to the city with some driving around woul use around 12 litres.  Calculate 'Miles Per Purchased Gallon' or MPPG. Isuzu Elf gets 25 mpg on diesel,average.

On best case scenario,1litre of diesel to 11 litres of veg oil would yield 250 MPPG.
   On worst case scenario,2 litres of diesel to 11 litres of veg oil would yield 125 MPPG

It would even be better than 250 MPPG,if say, I went to calgary,a distance of 400 miles round trip. Normally that would burn 16 gallons or 72 litres. Under good circumstances this would use 2 or 3 litres of diesel. This would be over 500 MPPG!

Short trips in town,like you do,well your still saving money on diesel. But not as much.

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2008, 07:06:05 PM »
  Jens,
  It all has to do with the ability to flow at a given temperature,to the injector pump. The viscosity of vegetable oil at 160 Degrees F. is about the same as Diesel fuel at Room Temp(68  F).

Once at the injector nozzle(s) it has to be warm enough to make a nice fine spray.   I dont know if 85/15 mix is thin enough in a modern diesel. I am still leery of the 15% gasoline mix,being that it is GASOLINE.

I did some 'hands on' tests last night with my eyes on the temp gauge and fingers on the brass elbow fittings entering the tank heater.  The THRESHOLD OF PAIN is when the gauge reads just above the 1st increment. According to the 'gauge' the engine is still 'cold'. This took 10 minutes @ 700 RPM to reach this. BUT,it only took another minute for the needle to reach'normal'. I am assuming the begining of normal is about 160 F.

According to PlantDrive, I can switch to Veg @ 120 F.  I also have an inline electric heater that is 240 watts. It is a self regulating heater. But here is the NEAT THING. It draws 20 amps @ 12 volts. On 24 volts,it draws 10 amps! It's MAGIC!

Veg Oil can go into the Injector Pump hot. It is a better lubricant than diesel. The hotter the better.

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2008, 03:16:20 AM »
I think something important to consider about oil that is thicker than diesel fuel is the forces inside the injector pump.  The pump has to squirt the oil out in a very short amount of time and thicker oil will increase the stress on the plunger and all the other internal pump parts tremendusly  :o !  I'd be concerned that the dilution method might not be as certain to keep the forces reasonable.  I think that the main advantage of the Lister/oids for using WVO and other alternative fuels is that the injection pump runs slower and is cheap to replace  ;) .  I don't know for certain that the Lister/oids give the pump more time to inject the oil, the cam lobe might have a steep rise, but for sure there is more burn time available.  Todays random 2-cent thought  :-\ !                  Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2008, 07:44:29 AM »
Jens, go to  www.plantdrive.ca   They are out of Salmon Arm BC. I think the 240 watt unit is about $70. Mine came as part of the kit.   It is called a Vegtherm. They also make a 360 watt unit. 

Just got more 'Grease' today.  They got lots more. Filled up 5  16L jugs and the waste tank level only went down 3 inches.Filled up the processor and go back tomorrow for more oil!

I need to know how to post pictures here so that my processor and truck can be viewed!  Or can I e-mail them to the site administrator?

dieseldave

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 08:47:06 AM »

I got the oil from a restaurant/bar that I go to.  This stuff was a little watery and seemed to have a slight nausiating smell to it. Once its processed it will be ok.   Next to this bin was a common bin used by the other food outlets in the mall.The oil in this bin was clean. I am going to find out about this one.  I think the other bin has a leak somewhere in the lid.

I may talk to the manager about pouring the oil back into the empty jugs. Its more labour intensive,but I would be willing to pay something for it. Especially in the winter,how do you pump out oil that is frozen?

One of the problems I am having is when I ask about taking the oil,it sets off a 'chain of command situation' I endup getting a call later saying:  Our legal department bla,bla,bla............  Its getting real stupid these days! I know some people that just go there with a hand crank fuel pump and just pump it out.Dont say anything. In Edmonton,restaurants are paying to have it picked up still.