Puppeteer

Author Topic: 60 gallon tank for batch solar water heater  (Read 3032 times)

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
60 gallon tank for batch solar water heater
« on: June 22, 2008, 01:47:37 PM »
Here in South Florida, batch solar water heaters work well enough. Put a tank inside a box with a glass cover. The sun heats it to 130F during the day. If covered at night, it stays hot.

I plan to use this to feed my normal water heater. That way, on sunny days, I use very little propane to heat water.

I cannot find a good tank. I have been looking for weeks for a cheap tank to use. I need something large, like 60 gallons. But, at this point, I would consider nearly anything. My propane bills are nearing $200 per month, just for hot water!

Can someone suggest a good source for a tank that will work?

Chris
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

wrightkiller

• View Profile
Re: 60 gallon tank for batch solar water heater
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 01:56:10 PM »
craigslist .....   put an add looking for a tank ...or freecycle .......for free stuff....... ;D

spike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 05:51:45 PM »
Electric water heater tanks are the way to go. I get mine from the local hardware store, not the new ones, of course, but the returns. When the store gets one back under warranty they hold it for a few days, I think until the manufacturer has credited the store for a new one, and then they take it to the dump. I have to tell them that I will not use it as a water heater but will cut it up for a smoker or whatever and they let me haul it away. If you see some water heaters sitting out back of a hardware store, go in and ask.

Tim

GCHandy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 06:43:58 PM »
Hi guys,
I just what to add my two cents worth, I live in centeral Fl. ( Saint Petersburg ) and I use the sun to heat my water, use my electric water heating tank ( 50 ) gal. as a storage tank, in case the sun doesn't shine all I have to do is hit the switch and the electric heats the water. There is a company called Solar Deveiopment in south Florida that sell solar hot water heaters for 1100.00 I bought mine in 1993 for 700.00 and still works like new.  In the 90's ( Florida ) Gov. Childs had a contest for the cheapest and easy way to get hot water and this company won. I met the owner  and he was in his 60's at least and that was in 93, I think his son or maybe grandson owns the place now.The web site is www.solardev.com It has save me a lot of money over the years. I do not have any money or any ties to this company.
GCHandy