Puppeteer

Author Topic: Thieved Again!  (Read 18082 times)

Doug

• Why don't pictures ever work for me?
    • View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
Re: Thieved Again!
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2008, 11:26:29 PM »
Not realy but I see wherer you are heading with this. Polaris was a lead and zinc no base metal mine not dilithium no one has been built that far north since.

Good idea to get some Klingon guards.

I can't think of a better way to get rid of scum in a country like Canada. There are other places too. I also like the idea of bush camps cutting firewood ( give it away to the poor to help heat homes ).

Untill you see the far north and know cold desolation you can't realy have it explained too you.
Its just a case of they get off the plane and look around and know a life of crime lead me to this and I have time shiver and think about it between swings of the pick axe.
It's a Good Life, If You Don't Weaken

Stan

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2008, 01:07:26 AM »
It took me exactly 15 seconds to discover that -63 deg was a lot colder than -40 deg.  I could still work outside (appropriately dressed of course) is -54 deg, but couldn't in -63 deg.  My cheek bones kept freezing.  Nasty.  I could however always tell when the temp went below -25 cause my mustache always froze up on me.
Stan

listeroidsusa1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2008, 04:21:28 AM »
Even though I gave the county police the name of the scrapyard that my parts went to they still haven't made any progress yet, and the trail is cold now. When I gave them the information all they had to do was pull the video records of the previous couple of days and check to see who had brought in loads of cast iron over 1000 lbs. All of the scrap yards around here keep itemized records of the materials sold along with names, drivers license number and tag number. Its a no brainer to trace down. I'm going to call the detective again tomorrow for a report and if nothing has changed I'm going to send him a box of doughnuts along with a note "thanking" him for his time and effort. If I had access to the scrapyard's records I'd have found the perps in just a few minutes myself. The video of the materials on the scales would have been icing on the cake but due to the police ineptness that option is gone as the video is in a loop and has now been recorded over.

captfred

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2008, 04:44:37 AM »
This don't have anything to do with the cold, but it was my way of dealin' with some thieves.

The Mariana Islands (Saipan being one of them) were known for centuries (and still are on the British Admiralty Charts) as "las Islas Ladrones" ot the Islands of Thieves".  When I first got here, a box from home was stolen out of the back of my truck, (my bad for leaving it in the back of the truck while I ran into the store).  Anyway it gave me an idea - I would save boxes and put my garbage (with rocks if it need some extra heft to it) in them and then label them to appear they had just arrived via post from the states - off to the store with the box in the bed of my truck - on my return to the truck the boxes would be gone - solved two problems at once - got rid of my trash and screwed another "ladron". ;D

Stopped doing it when a) I realized they probably would just dump the garbage on the side of the road and b) being a small island, someone might not be too happy being duped into stealing my garbage and do something worse to my truck.

Fred

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2008, 01:21:23 PM »
A strange dichomoty - big city/small town living.

I retired this year, and am in the process of moving back to West Texas from Houston.  I have to get the Houston place ready for sale, and since my wife already has a job  I get to prep a place out there.  Great - now I have two honey do lists.

In Houston everything we own has locks and alarm systems, and off duty police paid to patrol the streets.  We have stickers for the bumpers so everyone knows who is a resident at a glance.  The price we pay for a reasonably quiet neighborhood is fairly steep.

Out west it is like stepping back to the 1950 era (when I left).  Keys are left in the pickups - so someone can move it if it is in the way.  A lot of houses don't have locks, and those that do many don't have keys.  It is common practice when just dashing to town to leave the kitchen door ajar and the storm door unlocked.  This is the signal that 'I'll be right back, go on in and wait out of the heat.'  If the back door is closed you know to come back later.

It is slowly changing, but still takes getting used to.  It may be so simple as population density - a strange vehicle on the back roads will get talked about for days.  But I can say that Texas in the big cities and Texas out in the country are two different places.  Quiet and simple, where time runs at a slower pace - one reason I'm going home.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2008, 04:03:51 PM »
DaveW:

i can certainly relate to your story

it is much like my wanting to leave the 1.5 million population of the seattle/tacoma area
for the 600 population of a small kansas town,, and even then i will be living outside of town :)

and dang your hide, you gettin out before i can!!!

lol

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

DaveW

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2008, 08:29:03 PM »
Mobile Bob -

Good to hear from you again.  I know the feeling.  Last week we were driving into town for supper on Friday evening, and my sister-in-law says - with a straight face - "the traffic is getting terrible here."  My wife and I looked at each other and laughed.  By actual count there were 11 cars in view, counting the one we were in, on about two miles of road.  That was the rush hour traffic.  But she (my sister-in-law) thinks that city people are insane.  Lately I've started to agree with her.
  I have finally taken my Lister out and set it up.  The auto start feature we talked about works great.  Strange part is I miss the old girl almost as much as I miss my wife.  Wisconsin gas hogs just are not the same, even if they do generate power on demand.  Back to the chore list.

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2008, 11:56:42 PM »
This don't have anything to do with the cold, but it was my way of dealin' with some thieves.

The Mariana Islands (Saipan being one of them) were known for centuries (and still are on the British Admiralty Charts) as "las Islas Ladrones" ot the Islands of Thieves".  When I first got here, a box from home was stolen out of the back of my truck, (my bad for leaving it in the back of the truck while I ran into the store).  Anyway it gave me an idea - I would save boxes and put my garbage (with rocks if it need some extra heft to it) in them and then label them to appear they had just arrived via post from the states - off to the store with the box in the bed of my truck - on my return to the truck the boxes would be gone - solved two problems at once - got rid of my trash and screwed another "ladron". ;D

Stopped doing it when a) I realized they probably would just dump the garbage on the side of the road and b) being a small island, someone might not be too happy being duped into stealing my garbage and do something worse to my truck.

Fred

As a kid at Christmas for a gag I once wrapped a turd in a box with a bow and left it on the street as if it had been dropped.
Not thieves but an honest person would leave it there thinking the owner would come looking.
I wish I could have seen the looks when it was opened

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2008, 05:35:09 AM »

As a kid at Christmas for a gag I once wrapped a turd in a box with a bow and left it on the street as if it had been dropped.
Not thieves but an honest person would leave it there thinking the owner would come looking.
I wish I could have seen the looks when it was opened

Doug,

Were you an abused child?  LOL.  That is just wrong.   Christmas falling on a Sa-turd-ay.   :D
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2008, 12:57:22 AM »
No just a bad child.....

Sorry I was not able to see you on your trip through Rob.
Promiss next time you in town I will have a present for you to bring home.

Doug

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2008, 05:37:59 AM »
No just a bad child.....

Sorry I was not able to see you on your trip through Rob.
Promiss next time you in town I will have a present for you to bring home.

Doug

Doug,

Check for my pm.  I have a new email addy and I have lost all of your correspondence and contact info due to HD crash.
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2008, 02:35:23 AM »
Pending aproval I will have some very large SCRs for you.

rcavictim

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2008, 02:59:06 AM »
Pending aproval I will have some very large SCRs for you.

Awesome, thanx!   Oh and please don't forget that lump of ore.

Since you mentioned it, does your work espresso machine handle pitchblend?   I still think that sounds like a coffee product.  :D
-Changfa 1115
-Want Lister 6/1

Doug

• View Profile
    • Doug's Petteroid Stuff
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2008, 03:16:33 AM »
Nope there is absolutely no way I would even consider trying lol.

lip5er4

• Newfoundland(the great frontier)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2008, 06:51:13 AM »
Nope there is absolutely no way I would even consider trying lol.
Detroit is still the worst place,Drugs have always been a problem, But, in detroit, they shoot you cold blooded, no questions asked.Any kind of assault rifle is here,plus drive buy shootings,and god knows more.Canada does have crime,but it will never compare to this city,beleive me ,brian
Moving to newfie.....